Applying to Only One Program?

somethingelse

I've applied to only one PhD program. Why? Because it was the only one that had the researchers and academic environment I wanted to study in. Every other program was a stretch of my own interests and I made a pact with myself that I wouldn't just apply to a PhD program simply to get a PhD. So I had a spreadsheet of 12 programs that I whittled down to one. I love the academic environment, and love teaching and the idea of researching as a career, but I'm not going to get a PhD in something that I am not passionate about.

As far as my chances... I just don't know. Ordinarily, I think I would have been a shoe-in based on the input given me by my potential advisor. But this year, she said, the program's financial framework is being overhauled and they are only admitting those who they can fully fund. So a class size of [twenty maybe?] will be reduced to a few for Fall 2010. I have great work experience, a masters (earned with distinction), awesome GPA, but mediocre GRE scores. Most importantly, I've tried to demonstrate that my research interests are in line with my potential advisor's. So, in all, I just have NO IDEA if I will get in, and the fact that it's my only shot is making more than a little nervous.

If I don't get in, I'm pretty worried about my job prospects. My current job will be ended soon, and in my line of work and this economy, I have been extraordinarily stressed, especially with a baby on the way, as well, and currently supporting my wife through nursing school.

So is there anyone else out there who has only applied to one program? What's your plan if you don't get in? Do you think you'd ever apply again? What are your thoughts?

I think you are doing the right thing. If later you really think you need the PhD then I'd suggest trying to find another research topic so you can get into more schools. Hopefully-I'm confident there is-something else that will excite you enough to want to research about. Maybe you just haven't found it yet.

The first time I ever applied to a PhD program I applied to only 2 schools. I had a really narrow research idea in my mind. No school really offered me a faculty match so I applied to the two closest--although it was a stretch. I didn't get in to either but in my year off I read lots of journals and started to develope a new interest so I applied more broadly the 2nd time around using this new interest and newfoundwide faculty match. Who knows, maybe what happened to me will happen to you. But I think you are right. Why waste your time, money and energy on it when you are not passionate about it. Do it when the time is right.

I'm curious, your topic sounds narrow so if not that many people are studying it, do you think you will still be able to make a living from it? Are you getting the PhD to teach or for something else?

I'm just asking because the first time I applied to schools, my research interests was something no one else cared enough about to also research. I have a research idea that is more broad now, it's actually popular--and I'm still as passionate about it as my first topic by the way--and I could make a living using what I research. Either way, not matter what I research, if I were to go into teaching--which is what would have happened no matter what I studied with whom or where--it would have all been the same in the end. I'm in humanities though, not sure if that makes a difference.

I'm curious, your topic sounds narrow so if not that many people are studying it, do you think you will still be able to make a living from it? Are you getting the PhD to teach or for something else?

I'm just asking because the first time I applied to schools, my research interests was something no one else cared enough about to also research. I have a research idea that is more broad now, it's actually popular--and I'm still as passionate about it as my first topic by the way--and I could make a living using what I research. Either way, not matter what I research, if I were to go into teaching--which is what would have happened no matter what I studied with whom or where--it would have all been the same in the end. I'm in humanities though, not sure if that makes a difference.

I'm interested in environmental psychology (studying how the natural and built environments influence human behavior and visa-versa) and pro-environment behavior, and the premier program in the country for this (at this time) is at U-M, School of Natural Resources and Environment. There are others, but none with the specific faculty members I want to work with and who are at the forefront of this type of thing. There might be a single faculty member here or there, but they are either a stretch ,or in a program where I'd be alone in my research interest.

As far as making a living, I hope that with my background in urban planning and policy I would still be marketable for federal jobs in natural resource management and policy analysis if the academic thing didn't work out. however, my ideal would be to teach at a small, liberal arts program or even community college and just sort of quietly do my research on the side... not really into the rat-race of publishing and everything to get some hot position. Besides, by the time we're done with our programs, I think tenure will truly be a thing of the past.

With humanities, I can definitely see the more important dilemma between "doing what you love" and making practical decisions. For humanities, you don't have a middle ground very often... its either do or die, in a sense.

Edited by somethingelse

I admire your courage and wish I could do the same. I have one school in my list which is the school which bests fits me, but I applied to more programs which were stretch fits because I needed "back up" schools.

I'm in the same boat. I applied to one program both because of the good fit as well as other reasons. I have a family and going elsewhere would require selling the house and relocating. This will be what I'll look at if I'm not admitted this year, but why move when there's a great program locally?

somethingelse, what program are you applying to?

You should bear in mind that research interests often change within the first years of starting a PhD and nothing in life is guaranteed. Even if you you really love your subject now you might discover in a few years' time that it's a niche subject and not that interesting after all. Also you should bear in mind that the first year of a PhD is spent doing coursework (even if you have a master's degree) and not on research, so even if you're hooked on a particular topic you'll have to take some other classes.

I personally find it very risky to apply to only one school. If this is your absolute dream and it's a "either this or nothing" thing, then fine. But I really cannot imagine this to be the case. In particular since you do not seem to have any alternatives, applying to one school only seems an extraordinary thing to do - there're so many good schools out there.

In any case, I really hope you do get in!

sD.

I admire your courage and wish I could do the same. I have one school in my list which is the school which bests fits me, but I applied to more programs which were stretch fits because I needed "back up" schools.

I really did it for a variety of reasons:

1. I saw all these people with PhDs who more or less weren't really cut out for academia or just didn't make it for some reason, and so they spent many years of their life when they could have been in the workforce, building their professional skills and so forth with the degree they already had. In essense, they were over-educated and under-experienced.

2. Burnout has really affected me the past year or so, and the last thing I want to do at this point is go do some PhD program I am only half interested in, live in an area where I don't want to settle down in, and live the life of a student for 4-5 more years, especially with a family.

I'm in the same boat. I applied to one program both because of the good fit as well as other reasons. I have a family and going elsewhere would require selling the house and relocating. This will be what I'll look at if I'm not admitted this year, but why move when there's a great program locally?

And in this boat, we know there's more at stake than if we were single, had no more responsibilities than to put food in our mouths and pay our rent, and had many more years until we were going to start a family. At this point, its pretty important that we do this because we 100% want to.

somethingelse, what program are you applying to?

You should bear in mind that research interests often change within the first years of starting a PhD and nothing in life is guaranteed. Even if you you really love your subject now you might discover in a few years' time that it's a niche subject and not that interesting after all. Also you should bear in mind that the first year of a PhD is spent doing coursework (even if you have a master's degree) and not on research, so even if you're hooked on a particular topic you'll have to take some other classes.

I personally find it very risky to apply to only one school. If this is your absolute dream and it's a "either this or nothing" thing, then fine. But I really cannot imagine this to be the case. In particular since you do not seem to have any alternatives, applying to one school only seems an extraordinary thing to do - there're so many good schools out there.

In any case, I really hope you do get in!

sD.

I'm applying to the University of Michigan, Natural Resources and Environment PhD.

Part of me agrees with you. But the thing is, I am not really interested in much else at this time that I would want to study at that level, so how would I know which schools to apply to? If something else comes along down the road, who knows, I might apply another year. But right now, this is it. I'm aware that my interests might change somewhat, but at least in this program I would hopefully be in a place that would "catch" my interests since it is a popular program for env. psych. interests.

But you're right... if this was absolutely what I wanted to do with my life, it would be risky. But so many things can happen in life that change our goals and desires that I've learned to just sort of probe all sorts of possibilities at the same time, instead of putting all my eggs in one basket. So while this may be my only PhD program to which I'm applying, I have other ideas for work.

I've applied to only one PhD program. Why? Because it was the only one that had the researchers and academic environment I wanted to study in. Every other program was a stretch of my own interests and I made a pact with myself that I wouldn't just apply to a PhD program simply to get a PhD. So I had a spreadsheet of 12 programs that I whittled down to one. I love the academic environment, and love teaching and the idea of researching as a career, but I'm not going to get a PhD in something that I am not passionate about.

As far as my chances... I just don't know. Ordinarily, I think I would have been a shoe-in based on the input given me by my potential advisor. But this year, she said, the program's financial framework is being overhauled and they are only admitting those who they can fully fund. So a class size of [twenty maybe?] will be reduced to a few for Fall 2010. I have great work experience, a masters (earned with distinction), awesome GPA, but mediocre GRE scores. Most importantly, I've tried to demonstrate that my research interests are in line with my potential advisor's. So, in all, I just have NO IDEA if I will get in, and the fact that it's my only shot is making more than a little nervous.

If I don't get in, I'm pretty worried about my job prospects. My current job will be ended soon, and in my line of work and this economy, I have been extraordinarily stressed, especially with a baby on the way, as well, and currently supporting my wife through nursing school.

So is there anyone else out there who has only applied to one program? What's your plan if you don't get in? Do you think you'd ever apply again? What are your thoughts?

I only applied to one program as well. It is for an M.Ed/Ed.S program. I thought very hard about applying to others, however, I finally realized that applying to more schools just in order to get in was a silly notion. If this is the only school in which I would be able to do exactly what I want to do without moving out of state (which is not an option for me right now), why bother to apply? I would not attend even if I were to be accepted. I am still panicked about not getting in and I am not sure what I am going to do, but at the end of the day, it was the right decision to stick to my one school.

I totally understand you're in a difficult situation right now.Why don't you try and apply for more schools?Why put all your eggs in one basket?It's always safe that way.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

...So is there anyone else out there who has only applied to one program? What's your plan if you don't get in? Do you think you'd ever apply again? What are your thoughts?

Yep, I'm here, too. I only applied to one school and gave it a lot of thought before I did so. In my case, it is a local program where I've made some connections and the other schools in the area don't really compare (I mean that as a "good fit" thing, not a prestige thing). I even thought about how to handle the part of my application that asks whether I'm applying to other schools. After thinking it over and talking with people, it came down to the most straightforward thing to do. If a committee wants to ask why I didn't apply to other schools in the area, I've got really good answers (that are readily obvious to them anyway, knowing what's in the area)... if they want to know why I didn't apply out-of-area, that's also easy: I'm established with a family as a working professional and the program happens to be in my backyard.

I also feel like you're not eliminating any options by doing this -- to answer your second question, if I don't get in, I'll reapply next year. I think that generally a rejection will come with areas of your application that need improvement and so you've got a year to improve on those and impress upon the committee your resolve. I think generally there is a feeling that reapplying increases chances of acceptance. Maybe that's delusional, but even there, what have you lost aside from some elbow grease and a couple application fees? If I STILL don't get in, then yes, I would apply out-of-area with reckless abandon. I guess I don't see how getting a single rejection from a single program this year prevents me from that later on? All the options are still there!

if I don't get in, I'll reapply next year. I think that generally a rejection will come with areas of your application that need improvement and so you've got a year to improve on those and impress upon the committee your resolve. I think generally there is a feeling that reapplying increases chances of acceptance. Maybe that's delusional, but even there, what have you lost...

This is true in my department -- in my 4.5 years here we've had two students reapply after being rejected their first time around. The admissions committee was impressed at their dedication to the program (not just "a" program). So if your application is competitive or very close to competitive, reapplicants in my dept get an extra careful look and consideration. For example, as a science program we require high GRE in quantitative, (near) perfect, and maybe that's why someone with a 760/800 didn't get in the first time. But, they reapply, and their refocused application as well as clear commitment to the program outweighs the 760.

I do hope you don't have to go through reapplication though! :)

me too

NSSR Philosophy PhD

i applied to 11 progs last year and got shut out

so i came to Paris

Now I have a completed Masters w/ an amazing Masters Thesis as a writing sample, and advanced and superior French language certificates from the Sorbonne

the prof said having "a completed Masters may make a huge difference" and that he'd make sure to take a good look at my application

so I'm hoping all that and the re-applicant dedication magic works its mojo in my favour

huzzah

I applied to only one program, I understand my reasons, and if the question comes up at my interview, I feel my reasons will suffice.

If I don't get in, I'm pretty happy at my current job and will just keep chuggin. :)

Good luck!

Completely understandable.

While common wisdom admonishes against putting all your eggs in one basket, sometimes life's commitments require we do just that.

And just to give you hope: two years ago, I applied to one place only (although others warned me against it and urged me to apply elsewhere as well) and got in. I never looked back.

Anyway, best of luck!

Edited by NorthernStar

I completely understand your choice.

I feel --like many others I believe-- I am pretty much in the same situation. I did not apply to only one program, however, applying to 3 (Cognitive Psychology) phD programs is not something that makes me feel comfortable and on the safe side.

Since its late February and I haven't been called for interview to any of these programs I have allready started thinking of my future options (in fact I have been rejected from my 2 top choices and I know my third choice has made interview calls :rolleyes:. Ι have only a MS application pending ). I desperately tried to find people that do identical or similar research with the one I am interested on. What I found extremely useful, and you might as well, is to search for the people that my professor of interest has worked with. Collaborators from older pubs, but mainly old PhD students who now hold faculty positions in respectable and recognizable institutions.

I also tried to relax my standards, or as I prefer to say it, see things differently ;). As a friend mentioned before I believe that your interests is most likely to change during your PhD years. When I think that in highschool I insisted on becoming an astrophysicist and during my undergrad in Computer Science (madness you'll say!) I was keen of algorithms I now understand that only by learning you can be sure of what you want. And I understand that I liked CogPsych only by attending classes and learning new and different things.

These two factors made me find 2 more univs with which I am happy. Still not many, but surely more

On the other hand its definitely your dream and you dont want a lame advisor or a filthy venue spoil it for you. If you are not in the hurry for anything then I support your choice even for applying to half a program!

//PS: happy to meet you guys! first post!

////I forgot to mention that you could try contacting your professor of interest and ask for his advice! You might be lucky on that and hear of universities you have never thought of. He/She will surely things better than you could ever.

At least that's what I am planning to do!

Edited by psych7

I am in the same position as the OP -- almost exactly, actually, right down to the reasons they think they might get in. And I don't regret it - and I don't think I will, no matter what the decision letter says.

The decision letter that comes today (I almost wish they hadn't told me!). Whew.

Ditto ditto ditto...

One school, but I was going to apply to 5 schools. I don't want to take a year off between undergrad and grad school, but I thought it might make sense to save some money right now while I have a nice steady income. At the last minute I decided I would apply to one school...the one I was the most interested in from a comfort standpoint (I met with admissions last feb, sat in on a class and met current and former students). I figured: if I'm going to wait a year anyway, why not "play the lotto" with one school right now?

I hit send on my application on a Sunday night...and I ran to the mailbox the following Monday to see if I had anything in the mail. You know, on the off chance that someone was working in admissions late on a Sunday night and read my application and thought I was such a god fit they should drive 9 hours and deliver a letter. laugh.gifblink.gif

Needless to say, I'm excited and nervous....and I love it smile.gif

I only applied to one program, but I applied to a Masters in Library and Information Science (as opposed to a PhD). To be able to get a job at a library, your degree needs to come from an ALA-accredited school, and there are only three in the NYC/NJ area. Moving to another part of the country is not an option for me right now. It might sound silly to some, but I don't want to move hundreds or even thousands of miles away from my boyfriend. We want to settle down, get married, have a family and all that jazz, and I don't want to essentially have to put our relationship on hold for at least a year and a half while I get my MLIS (we are already "on hold" because we still live with our parents- I got my BA in December, he got his this past May). Plus, the program I applied to (Rutgers) is cheap because I qualify for in-state tuition, not to mention Rutgers is an excellent university. I also have a good bit of student loan debt from my undergrad, and I don't want to put myself in the hole for my tuition as well as my living expenses, since as of now I can live with my mom for very cheap and save money to put towards grad school/loans.

If I don't get in, I'll re-apply for the spring, since they do admit students in the spring and the fall. I am just keeping my fingers crossed for now.

I applied to two programs, but one was a real long shot. Both are in the area, as I won't be moving elsewhere. Honestly, I'm not sure what I'll do if I don't get in. I am in my 40s, in the midst of a second career, and I feel like I have some momentum going right now in terms of starting school that I'm not sure I'll have a year from now. I guess I still have another week or so to delay thinking about it...

I only applied to one school (clinical psych PhD), but I had good reasons, I think. I interned all summer with my POI, I know I love the research focus, the school is awesome, the area where the school is located is wonderful, and it's my number one choice, hands down.

Also, with a fall 09 having to take the GRE, take two courses, start an honors thesis, and work full time, I knew that I wouldn't have the time or the energy to do a full-on grad app season.

If I don't get in, I am moving to the area where the school is anyways because I love it so much. So, either way, I win. :)

Of course, I will be much happier if I do get in. Of course. :)

Good luck, fellow one-schoolers!

• 2 weeks later...

I also applied to just one program. I am 53 years old, a long time community college professor and want to take my career to the next level. I have been wanting to do this for a long time and now that my children are 16 and 21, I feel that the time is right. The college I applied to seems like a great fit for me.

If I do not get in, I have just been inspired by this thread to apply again. So happy that I found this forum.

• 9 months later...

Bump....

Are there any new one-schoolers out there this season?

I thought about applying to a couple of schools, but I really found the place where I think I belong, and I can't see uprooting my husband, my 2.5 year old and selling our house for second best. If I don't get in this year, I'll try again next year. I'm actually pretty comfortable with this decision, much more than I thought I would be.