NSF GRFP 2017-18

spectastic

5 hours ago, masbrkom said:

I saw the site shut and go back up, it was fairly quick. Anyone else notice that the 2017 awardee list is unavailable though?

Yeah, that’s pretty weird. Fast lane is under maintenance right now so maybe that’s why the 2017 list is down?

2017 is still down.  I tried searching for Brittany Jack and Sarah Blunt because they were on Alex Lang’s NSF GRFP  list and it didn’t find them.  This is weird.  Maybe it will come out on Monday or Tuesday.

No maintenance up.  If you applied before did the old list malfunction and the 2017/(2016) banner appear right before results or not?   My money is still on this week and probably Tuesday just because it is a common release day. 

1 hour ago, grilledcheese1 said:

Why is everyone banking on it being this Tuesday?  Is it all because of that Reddit comment of dubious authenticity?

While certainly dubious, if we take into account previous year’s timeline, the Tuesday/Friday similarities, and “the comment”; I wouldn’t bet against Tuesday morning. 

15 minutes ago, engineerwoacause said:

While certainly dubious, if we take into account previous year’s timeline, the Tuesday/Friday similarities, and “the comment”; I wouldn’t bet against Tuesday morning. 

Looks like 2017 was unusually early, though (but maybe there was a reason for that that would carry into this year?).  Most releases were around the tail end of March, so I would think next Tuesday the 27th at the earliest.

Edited by grilledcheese1

8 minutes ago, grilledcheese1 said:

Looks like 2017 was unusually early, though (but maybe there was a reason for that that would carry into this year?).  Most releases were around the tail end of March, so I would think next Tuesday the 27th at the earliest.

The common thought is that this and last year, compared to the ones preceding, had a similarly early submission date with less applicants. 

18 minutes ago, engineerwoacause said:

The common thought is that this and last year, compared to the ones preceding, had a similarly early submission date with less applicants. 

I'm thinking that the fear of NSF funding cuts by the government led to a decent-sized increase in applications this year, since this would be the last year before the proposed cuts would go into effect.  I guess there's no way of knowing how many applicants there are until it comes out.

Edited by grilledcheese1

Based on me skimming through the last few years worth of forums.

Seems to be that the maintenance alert we are on the lookout for typically goes up the day before results are released (Monday if results are posted Tuesday). This alert could be posted as last as 9pm on the day before announcements. It is usually a maintenance alert that lists the end time at being 3am or 5am. Additionally, I would say that we are in the home stretch given last year's awards and honorable mentions are no longer listed. That list tends to go down a week or two before announcements. 

I don't trust random redditors, especially not ones that avoid answering questions, but comment on their downvotes. I think it'll be next week based on what I've read while creeping through threads from previous years (um, this is a judgement free zone, right?). There seems to be a pattern to the fastlane closures: one the weekend before announcements (sat-sun), followed by the previous year's list of awardees/HMs being unavailable, which seems to be where we're at now, and results the following week (closure announcement typically day of-sometimes late at night!)

Or maybe all of this waiting is finally getting to me and I am just losing my mind.

Edited by mars667
english

22 minutes ago, Straightoutta said:

Based on me skimming through the last few years worth of forums.

Seems to be that the maintenance alert we are on the lookout for typically goes up the day before results are released (Monday if results are posted Tuesday). This alert could be posted as last as 9pm on the day before announcements. It is usually a maintenance alert that lists the end time at being 3am or 5am. Additionally, I would say that we are in the home stretch given last year's awards and honorable mentions are no longer listed. That list tends to go down a week or two before announcements. 

great minds! thanks for making me feel less creepy!

I just realized that the government might shut down again on Friday (source) if they don't pass another continuing resolution or an actual spending bill.  Hopefully, the government won't shut down or results will be released before the shutdown.  

52 minutes ago, psychpride9 said:

So if the maintenance message doesn't come up by around 9PM EST tonight, we're assuming it's Friday? :)

Maybe the past maintenance could have been coincidences or the results got upload this weekend but they are checking them or something. 

How many times have you checked fastlane for the maintenance update today?? :D I just submitted my 2nd year comp reports so now I have all the time in the world to go crazy over the wait :lol:

4 minutes ago, nanograd said:

How many times have you checked fastlane for the maintenance update today?? :D I just submitted my 2nd year comp reports so now I have all the time in the world to go crazy over the wait :lol:

Literally been hitting F5 every 10 minutes, haha. I've basically convinced myself I'm not getting it so I'm not too disappointed when I inevitably don't, but the wait is still unbearable!