spectastic

NSF GRFP 2017-18

Recommended Posts

I notice there isn't one of these around yet for the upcoming cycle. I thought I'd start one, considering application just opened a few days ago, and they've made some changes, like going from 2000 awards to 1000 awards. I can only assume that this means they'll cut down the number of awards from the undergrads, 1st years, and 2nd years alike. I'm a 2nd year applying, trying to get my first author in December. Otherwise, this is pretty much a wash for me I think.

3.5 UG GPA

3.8 Grad GPA

Chemistry: battery electrode materials

Edited by spectastic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where do you see the number of awards change? The current solicitation still lists 2k from what I can see...

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Hello,

can a Fulbright award be combined with another Canadian scholarship? 

Not sure how this question fits in this thread. Can you maybe elaborate? This is for discussion of the NSF graduate fellowship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eigen said:

Not sure how this question fits in this thread. Can you maybe elaborate? This is for discussion of the NSF graduate fellowship. 

Oops! I posted in the wrong thread :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2017 at 3:39 PM, t_ruth said:

Where do you see the number of awards change? The current solicitation still lists 2k from what I can see...

Thanks!

i haven't yet checked myself. I just got the email from one of the admin people about it :). But judging from the direction everything is going in DC, I wouldn't be surprised if this stuff starts to disappear....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done a good amount of reading on this fellowship and have yet to see where they decreased the number of awards given annually.  I could have missed it, though.  

Also, I wouldn't mind hearing how other people intend on tackling the two required essays, especially the Personal, Relevant Background, and Future Goals Statement.  I've read/skimmed several of them from past winners, and it seems difficult to discuss your past experiences without sounding incredibly cheesy.  Oh well.  I guess that's the name of the game   

Finally, if there are any other second-year graduates who are applying, please respond.

Edited by Professor2211

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Professor2211 said:

I've done a good amount of reading on this fellowship and have yet to see where they decreased the number of awards given annually.  I could have missed it, though.  

Also, I wouldn't mind hearing how other people intend on tackling the two required essays, especially the Personal, Relevant Background, and Future Goals Statement.  I've read/skimmed several of them from past winners, and it seems difficult to discuss your past experiences without sounding incredibly cheesy.  Oh well.  I guess that's the name of the game   

Finally, if there are any other second-year graduates who are applying, please respond.

Nothing is official yet, but NSF has mentioned that would be one of the costcutting measures if their budget is reduced by 11%.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/06/nsf-offers-arm-s-length-defense-trump-s-2018-request

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/05/how-nsf-cut-11-its-budget

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

I'm a first-year applicant going into an Epidemiology and Biostatistics PhD from industry. My research background and interests are more on the social science end of the spectrum - community psychology, public health, substance use epidemiology, and I'm extremely hesitant to submit my application under the primary field of Biostatistics because my application will be unfamiliar and judged very differently by mathematicians than it would be by someone who is coming from a similar background.

 

Any other applicants with somewhat inter-disciplinary fields who are struggling with the same thing? Any recommendations for how to overcome this hurdle? Not really clear on what the rules are for selecting a primary field.

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2017 at 3:56 PM, Addix said:

Hi all,

I'm a first-year applicant going into an Epidemiology and Biostatistics PhD from industry. My research background and interests are more on the social science end of the spectrum - community psychology, public health, substance use epidemiology, and I'm extremely hesitant to submit my application under the primary field of Biostatistics because my application will be unfamiliar and judged very differently by mathematicians than it would be by someone who is coming from a similar background.

 

Any other applicants with somewhat inter-disciplinary fields who are struggling with the same thing? Any recommendations for how to overcome this hurdle? Not really clear on what the rules are for selecting a primary field.

 

Thanks.

Make sure your area of study is eligible. Any research public health related is usually turned down as they want you to apply to NIH instead. I purposely stayed away from Epidemiology programs for this reason:

"Individuals are not eligible to apply if they will conduct biomedical research for which the goals are directly health-related, such as etiology, diagnosis or treatment of physical or mental disease, abnormality, or malfunction in humans and other animals. Research activities using animal models of disease, for developing or testing of drugs or other procedures for treatment of disease, and statistical modeling for which the purpose is diagnosis or epidemiology also are not eligible for support."

https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2016/nsf16588/nsf16588.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2017 at 9:19 PM, jmillar said:

Make sure your area of study is eligible. Any research public health related is usually turned down as they want you to apply to NIH instead. I purposely stayed away from Epidemiology programs for this reason:

"Individuals are not eligible to apply if they will conduct biomedical research for which the goals are directly health-related, such as etiology, diagnosis or treatment of physical or mental disease, abnormality, or malfunction in humans and other animals. Research activities using animal models of disease, for developing or testing of drugs or other procedures for treatment of disease, and statistical modeling for which the purpose is diagnosis or epidemiology also are not eligible for support."

https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2016/nsf16588/nsf16588.htm

Yes, thank you, very important piece of that solicitation for all health people!

What do you mean exactly, by "I purposely stayed away from Epidemiology programs for this reason"? That you stay away from applying to the NSF for any research associated with Epidemiology? Unfortunately, I'm not eligible for any NIH training grants, and my PI did not renew their T32 grant this year. I feel somewhat forced to apply for this NSF GRFP with a research agenda focused entirely on a biostatistics hypothesis / objective and obviously listing biostatistics as my primary field.

I appreciate your advice and any other pointers you may have as I see your field is very similar to mine. Have you won an NSF GRFP? How have you funded your program at UM?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Addix said:

What do you mean exactly, by "I purposely stayed away from Epidemiology programs for this reason"? That you stay away from applying to the NSF for any research associated with Epidemiology? Unfortunately, I'm not eligible for any NIH training grants, and my PI did not renew their T32 grant this year. I feel somewhat forced to apply for this NSF GRFP with a research agenda focused entirely on a biostatistics hypothesis / objective and obviously listing biostatistics as my primary field.

I appreciate your advice and any other pointers you may have as I see your field is very similar to mine. Have you won an NSF GRFP? How have you funded your program at UM?

I did receive an NSF GRFP, which is how I am funding part of my program. The rest is funded through an in house fellowship program at UM.

What I meant was I applied to PhD programs outside of strictly Epidemiology to make sure I would not loose eligibility. I still have ties to the Epidemiology department, but my actual department is Bioinformatics. I also made sure my research is more based on evolution, rather than health related outcomes.

The interdisciplinary angle will work if you can think of another area other than Epidemiology to be part of that interdisciplinary work. The NSF wording was changed in 2012 to heavily discourage Epidemiology work.

Edited by jmillar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now