NSF GRFP 2017-18

spectastic

2 hours ago, Bayesian1701 said:

False alarm unless I am missing something.  I guess it will be the next one.

Fast lane is used for more than the NSF GRFP. I doubt they need to conduct maintenance on it to post any results. If you look at my previous post, I noted the decreased applicants in the previous year, which is why the notification time was so reduced (and probably we have a similar number of applicants this year, less if anything). For that reason, I would only begin worrying until at least this Thursday or Friday. Then, we can all simmer for about two weeks. 

Edited by GoldenDog

On 3/9/2018 at 8:54 AM, Marinebio444 said:

That document was from the original president's request posted end of May 2017. As of February 12, 2018, the cuts have been mostly rejected, and a proposed status quo from FY2017 is the most likely scenario now. That should, theoretically, mean that we're staying at 2000 awards. 

Source: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/02/trump-rescinds-planned-29-budget-cut-nsf

Yup, we're staying at 2000 awards this year. A colleague of mine emailed the NSF and posted this screenshot to reddit earlier today. Its basically a response to their email inquiring about the number of awards.

https://imgur.com/a/mDyQe

Half speculation half curiosity...

Notice the awards were announced on either a Friday or Tuesday morning every year for the past handful of years. Seems a decently large sample size for coincidence. 

Is there a reason for this? Maybe I should sleep better on Tuesday and Wednesday nights and save my anxiety for Monday and Thursday's!

2 hours ago, engineerwoacause said:

Hoping someone applying for a second time, or perhaps someone with inside knowledge, can answer this one: 

When decisions are released, are we expecting to wake up to an email (one way or another)? 

Last year my email arrived at 1:29 am Friday morning.

8 hours ago, engineerwoacause said:

Hoping someone applying for a second time, or perhaps someone with inside knowledge, can answer this one: 

When decisions are released, are we expecting to wake up to an email (one way or another)? 

In 2016, I got my letter at 5:05am eastern time.

1 hour ago, Marinebio444 said:

image.thumb.png.8f53ec480344e5f7ab6220fa602385a4.png

Was I the only one who got super excited when I saw there was a new advisory on the FastLane homepage only to see it wasn't a maintenance update?

Definitely not lol. 

I don't have much evidence to go on, and my brain is too fried to track things down again, but I think somewhere in the 2016 and 2017 topics they posted about maintenance closures over a Friday-Saturday 6 days before results were posted. I'm half-heartedly expecting results Friday since the last maintenance was the 10th. Also the default awards page now has the 2018 Awardees header.....

But I'm probably wrong. 

Almost there!

Edit: NVM! 2016's maintenance was March 18th-19th with results on the 29th. I think sleep and wishful thinking affected my memory. Anyway, still hopeful for this Friday or Tuesday (for no reason)!

Edited by soletsgonowhere

8 hours ago, soletsgonowhere said:

Definitely not lol. 

I don't have much evidence to go on, and my brain is too fried to track things down again, but I think somewhere in the 2016 and 2017 topics they posted about maintenance closures over a Friday-Saturday 6 days before results were posted. I'm half-heartedly expecting results Friday since the last maintenance was the 10th. Also the default awards page now has the 2018 Awardees header.....

But I'm probably wrong. 

Almost there!

Edit: NVM! 2016's maintenance was March 18th-19th with results on the 29th. I think sleep and wishful thinking affected my memory. Anyway, still hopeful for this Friday or Tuesday (for no reason)!

Someone on the subreddit /r/GradSchool said an “insider” told them it’d be released Tuesday. So with your superstition and their “inside knowledge,” there might be something to it!

9 minutes ago, mircakes said:

Someone on the subreddit /r/GradSchool said an “insider” told them it’d be released Tuesday. So with your superstition and their “inside knowledge,” there might be something to it!

Yes, with all the info at hand, everything does seem to point towards a Tuesday release. Hopefully all the outreach stuff I've done would make a difference. Fingers crossed!

33 minutes ago, mircakes said:

The comment actually said "next Tuesday." I'd bet its either this Tuesday or Friday, not next. Also, I tend to not believe reddit trolls. My money is still on Friday or this Tuesday. 

Edited by GoldenDog

12 minutes ago, GoldenDog said:

The comment actually said "next Tuesday." I'd bet its either this Tuesday or Friday, not next. Also, I tend to not believe reddit trolls. My money is still on Friday or this Tuesday. 

Wait... I’m confused by what you mean. It’s Wednesday (at least where I am), so “this Tuesday” for this week has already passed. Next Tuesday is Tuesday March 20th, which was the Tuesday I thought you were referring to? What do you mean “this Tuesday”?

5 hours ago, mircakes said:

And I think the person on Reddit is also referring to Tuesday 3/20, since that comment was posted today.

I would say highly likely (80%). Last year was released on 3/17. The government shutdown lasted about 3 days so it is perfectly reasonable to delay exactly 3 days.... Pumped!

pixel.gif
03/15/18  - 

FastLane will be unavailable from 12:01AM ET to 8:00AM ET on Saturday, March 17 for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience.

So.... what does this mean? Tuesday announcement??

13 hours ago, mircakes said:

And I think the person on Reddit is also referring to Tuesday 3/20, since that comment was posted today.

When I say "this Tuesday" I typically mean the closest one, whereas I would say next Tuesday if I meant the 2nd closest one. Maybe its just poor wording.

Maybe y'all are right about the maintenence, but I know fastlane is used for alot of stuff besides GRFP. I feel like there isnt a need for maintenence just to post results, so it just seems unlikely that has any bearing on the notifications to me. 

The last two years there was maintenance right before according to the old threads, but the maintenace notice was quick.

I am going with Tuesday because if the maintenance thing is real the notice should be up by now if it is tomorrow.  My theory on why fastlane goes down is its hard to do all the results at once without maintenance but I could be totally wrong.

1 hour ago, Bayesian1701 said:

The last two years there was maintenance right before according to the old threads, but the maintenace notice was quick.

I am going with Tuesday because if the maintenance thing is real the notice should be up by now if it is tomorrow.  My theory on why fastlane goes down is its hard to do all the results at once without maintenance but I could be totally wrong.

I'm doubtful theres any correlation. They will be doing maintenance twice this Month. They generally do maintenance often, it seems. I really don't think there is a correlation, its just that they do maintenance often, so of course it was near the time of notification before.