NSF GRFP 2017-18

spectastic

18 minutes ago, carlsaganism said:

Is there a source that claims a Friday release? 

only thing I've seen is on reddit from the "I smell BS" user previously mentioned on this thread. I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

I think at best we can hope for it to be a Tuesday or a Friday and the early release last year was an anomaly rather than a new rule? Also we should ignore that reddit troll. They have made two separate accounts just to post fake release dates. 

11 minutes ago, Aplomb.Élan said:

I think at best we can hope for it to be a Tuesday or a Friday and the early release last year was an anomaly rather than a new rule? Also we should ignore that reddit troll. They have made two separate accounts just to post fake release dates. 

Yea, ignore the fake news

Not only is the weather bad, but the budget bill isn’t passed yet.  CNN says it should go through but I am skeptical that certain people will cooperate.     Maybe they will break from tradition due to the last minute delays.  I have made my decision but I don’t want to fully commit (sign a lease, accept the offer) until I know I did or didn’t  get NSF.  I am waiting until April 3rd and then am going to commit anyway, but hopefully, we will know by then.  

33 minutes ago, Bayesian1701 said:

Not only is the weather bad, but the budget bill isn’t passed yet.  CNN says it should go through but I am skeptical that certain people will cooperate.     Maybe they will break from tradition due to the last minute delays.  I have made my decision but I don’t want to fully commit (sign a lease, accept the offer) until I know I did or didn’t  get NSF.  I am waiting until April 3rd and then am going to commit anyway, but hopefully, we will know by then.  

are you going to Duke or UT Austin?

55 minutes ago, Bayesian1701 said:

In this case, I wonder if NSF has any incentive to release results before April 15.  I know most grad schools require a decision by then.

28 minutes ago, dankNugget420 said:

Made an account just to post this, the NSF website itself says results will be released early April. Make of this what you will, I can say I am not expecting results this Friday.

https://www.nsfgrfp.org/applicants/important_dates

I would guess the 2nd.

That's what it said every year, and every year since 2009 the results were posted before April (end of March).

5 minutes ago, carlsaganism said:

That's what it said every year, and every year since 2009 the results were posted before April (end of March).

Ah gotcha, seemed strange why there was such a debate when this information was available but I guess I am just a bit out of the loop.  To be honest I'm trying to keep my mind off of the GRFP, trying to stay focused lol.

I'm all but certain I won't get it (2nd year student, not from an underrepresented group, no pubs until after I submitted my application) but at this point I just want the results to come out so I can stop worrying about it. And I'm really interested in the feedback on my application.

3 hours ago, Bayesian1701 said:

Where will you be heading?

10 minutes ago, GoldenDog said:

Where will you be heading?

2 hours ago, carlsaganism said:

are you going to Duke or UT Austin?

I would like to remain semi-anonymous so I am not revealing my final choice.  I think it would be to easy to identify me, but you probably could if you tried hard enough.  

7 hours ago, YouCantBcereus said:

I'm all but certain I won't get it (2nd year student, not from an underrepresented group, no pubs until after I submitted my application) but at this point I just want the results to come out so I can stop worrying about it. And I'm really interested in the feedback on my application.

I don't think the # of accepted applicants vary significantly with year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed pretty even to me based on the stats from last year.

24 minutes ago, carlsaganism said:

I don't think the # of accepted applicants vary significantly with year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed pretty even to me based on the stats from last year.

If you look at my the post I made earlier, you can see that last year it decreased by like 30%, which seems pretty significant to me. But I would think it would be similar, maybe with 1-2k less this year because students previously grandfathered in are gone. 

7 minutes ago, GoldenDog said:

If you look at my the post I made earlier, you can see that last year it decreased by like 30%, which seems pretty significant to me. But I would think it would be similar, maybe with 1-2k less this year because students previously grandfathered in are gone. 

I'm pretty sure it's been 2k every year (google grfp winners for 201x and you'll see they have posted about it officially on their website- 2015-2017 have been 2k winners) the $$ amounts have varied through the years because the budget changed and a few years ago there was a significant increase to the budget. however i feel that for this year  the budget won't affect the amount of people accepted and the reward they had mentioned (but i suspect that the years to follow might be affected as a result of any budget changes) 

17 minutes ago, GoldenDog said:

10 minutes ago, slavsquat said:

I'm pretty sure it's been 2k every year (google grfp winners for 201x and you'll see they have posted about it officially on their website- 2015-2017 have been 2k winners) the $$ amounts have varied through the years because the budget changed and a few years ago there was a significant increase to the budget. however i feel that for this year  the budget won't affect the amount of people accepted and the reward they had mentioned (but i suspect that the years to follow might be affected as a result of any budget changes) 

sorry, I was very unclear. What I meant "by year" was senior ugrad vs 1st year grad vs 2nd year grad. Someone claimed that it is more difficult to get the fellowship as a 2nd year grad and I don't think that's accurate.

16 minutes ago, carlsaganism said:

sorry, I was very unclear. What I meant "by year" was senior ugrad vs 1st year grad vs 2nd year grad. Someone claimed that it is more difficult to get the fellowship as a 2nd year grad and I don't think that's accurate.

Why don't you think that's accurate? 

I'm not sure myself, but I feel like as a 2nd year I have no shot at all.  NSF says that they strongly encourage undergrads to apply - I wonder if they award disproportionately more to undergrads?  Anecdotal, but it seems like every time someone posts that they got the GRFP, it's an undergrad.  The stakes are also higher for 2nd years it seems.  It seems like reviewers expect all 2nd years to have multiple 1st-author pubs, even if you're in a field (like mine) where most students don't have pubs until at least their 3rd year.

Edited by grilledcheese1

12 minutes ago, carlsaganism said:

oh my bad! i see what you mean and i do agree- i genuinely think it's just based on the strength of the applications and there's not a necessarily a different standard from year to year. i mean after all, there's undergrads with multiple applications and significant accomplishments. 

5 minutes ago, grilledcheese1 said:

Why don't you think that's accurate? 

I'm not sure myself, but I feel like as a 2nd year I have no shot at all.  NSF says that they strongly encourage undergrads to apply - I wonder if they award disproportionately more to undergrads?  Anecdotal, but it seems like every time someone posts that they got the GRFP, it's an undergrad.  The stakes are also higher for 2nd years it seems.  It seems like reviewers expect all 2nd years to have multiple 1st-author pubs, even if you're in a field (like mine) where most students don't have pubs until at least their 3rd year.

last year there was 726 senior undergrads and 627 senior undergrads in 2016- so i guess not! 

5 minutes ago, slavsquat said:

last year there was 726 senior undergrads and 627 senior undergrads in 2016- so i guess not! 

Oh, that's not too bad.  Maybe they try to evenly award them based on year.  Where did you find those numbers?

Edited by grilledcheese1

56 minutes ago, carlsaganism said:

Nah you're correct! I meant that I'm not super confident that I'm towards the front of the pack compared with other 2nd years since they'll expect more out of us when it comes to outreach/publications/proposal strength.

4 minutes ago, grilledcheese1 said:

Oh, that's not too bad.  Maybe they try to evenly award them based on year.  Where did you find those numbers?

on the NSF award announcement page from the previous years (they break down several stats about the people who won)

https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=191361

https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=138123

15 minutes ago, psychpride9 said:

If the maintenance message isn't up by 9pm today, I'm assuming it's next week or the week after. Ugh. Hope everyone is taking care of themselves! 

You meant 9 pm tomorrow right?