Medieval Applicants (2018)

gnossienne n.3

Summer courses are an option. There are several Latin intensive courses in the US that are very good. They tend to be quite expensive, but it's common for people just about to enter grad school to take such a course to catch up on a few years' worth of ancient language study. The Latin/Greek Institute and Berkeley offer some of the best Latin and Greek intensive courses (the content of 2-3 years of language courses crammed into ten weeks), and UVA offers something as well. There are probably many other similar courses. For modern languages Middlebury is the best.

Edited by lkjpoi

3 hours ago, lkjpoi said:

Summer courses are an option. There are several Latin intensive courses in the US that are very good. They tend to be quite expensive, but it's common for people just about to enter grad school to take such a course to catch up on a few years' worth of ancient language study. The Latin/Greek Institute and Berkeley offer some of the best Latin and Greek intensive courses (the content of 2-3 years of language courses crammed into ten weeks), and UVA offers something as well. There are probably many other similar courses. For modern languages Middlebury is the best.

The CUNY Graduate Center has an excellent summer Latin/Greek Institute as well.  

19 hours ago, psstein said:

You need Latin as a medievalist. There's absolutely no way around it. The other language will depend on your geographical interests.

I was a fool and spent 3 years taking Norwegian. TBH it was worth it!

4 hours ago, lkjpoi said:

Are they usually online? Summer is the busy time at work for me.

It is true that you need Latin to be a medievalist. However, I do know people who get into good programs with a basic/intermediate level and study extensively the first years. I am currently at the University of Cambridge and I know a fair share of people who did their master's in Medieval History without any prior Latin. Once in the Master, everyone takes a Latin course and by the end of the year people already start with their PhDs (bear in mind that PhDs in the UK are shorter, so this would be an equivalent to learning all your Latin in the second year of your American PhD). In the end, I think programs can be flexible about your initial level, even if you are of course expected to be proficient by the time of your exams. 

Edited by Imenol

5 minutes ago, Imenol said:

It is true that you need Latin to be a medievalist. However, I do know people who get into good programs with a basic/intermediate level and study extensively the first years. I am currently at the University of Cambridge and I know a fair share of people who did their master's in Medieval History without any prior Latin. Once in the course, everyone takes Latin courses and by the end of the year people already start with their PhDs (bear in mind that PhDs in the UK are shorter, so this is equivalent to learning all your Latin in the second year of your American PhD). In the end, I think programs can be flexible about your initial level, even if you are of course expected to be proficient by the time of your exams. 

I think we can debate about how flexible programs can be forever. The truth is that specific programs in medieval studies in North America (Toronto, Notre Dame, etc.) won't accept applicants without decent Latin. The good thing is that, as you said, good master programs in medieval history/studies are very flexible about language requirements. These programs understand that the MA period can also serve to polish or improve language skills. 

CUNY I think is the "best" intensive summer language situation from what I've heard. It's very pricey though. They do have some financial aid, mainly geared at specific types of student ie. art historians, etc. I have two friends who have done Paideia in Rome and it's really fun, but also kinda a bizarre system that is viewed with some skepticism. Both friends have excellent Latin and really enjoyed the program.

I haven't heard of any "recommended" online programs. I would caution away from the (in person) course I did in the summer 4 years ago at King's College London. Maybe it was just me, but it was too fast-paced to absorb anything. Perhaps if you already know Latin grammar, you would get more out of it, but spending hours a day translating Plautus with a dictionary didn't really give me a lasting grasp on the language. When I started again at the intro level in a college classroom, I was largely at square one. 

7 hours ago, telkanuru said:

I've heard that it's rather meh.

Thanks, that's the impression I got as well. I'd rather spend the extra money and get Latin through a credible institution.

1 hour ago, Grace Bones said:

Are they usually online? Summer is the busy time at work for me.

No, none of those programs are offered online.

As others have emphasized, CUNY's Latin/Greek Institute is the best. And it's the best because it is the most in-person academic experience imaginable. In order to make such fast progress on a very difficult language (which takes years to fully master) you have to devote yourself more than 100% to covering all of the grammar rules so that you can then ascend to the level of reading Latin fluently. At the CUNY program several teachers help you personally to get a thorough grasp of all of the material. Their reading selections are also excellent.

It is tough to decide to sacrifice your entire summer to language training as opposed to research, or to whatever you had in mind instead. Everyone needs to judge on their own what would be most worthwhile. If you think you would benefit more from developing your research ideas and experience it might not be worthwhile to exhaust yourself with intensive language study now. But the more advanced you get in your career the more difficult it becomes to find time for focused language study, which is the only way to gain real proficiency in reading untranslated documents by yourself.

14 minutes ago, lkjpoi said:

No, none of those programs are offered online.

As others have emphasized, CUNY's Latin/Greek Institute is the best. And it's the best because it is the most in-person academic experience imaginable. In order to make such fast progress on a very difficult language (which takes years to fully master) you have to devote yourself more than 100% to covering all of the grammar rules so that you can then ascend to the level of reading Latin fluently. At the CUNY program several teachers help you personally to get a thorough grasp of all of the material. Their reading selections are also excellent.

It is tough to decide to sacrifice your entire summer to language training as opposed to research, or to whatever you had in mind instead. Everyone needs to judge on their own what would be most worthwhile. If you think you would benefit more from developing your research ideas and experience it might not be worthwhile to exhaust yourself with intensive language study now. But the more advanced you get in your career the more difficult it becomes to find time for focused language study, which is the only way to gain real proficiency in reading untranslated documents by yourself.

I work at a kennel so I would actually love to have an excuse to leave before the busy season lol. 

I just planned on working and getting ready to move to the uk.

@Grace Bones I agree with the general consensus that you can't get around Latin when you're a medievalist.

If you're willing to consider an intensive, I very heavily recommend UC Cork's Greek & Latin Summer School. It might work out for you logistically if you're UK-bound. Even with the airfare from the US, it is about three times cheaper than analogous programs in the American universities,  and the instructors are committed and fantastic. I took Greek with them, which served me well. And the people from the Latin group also had a great and productive learning experience.

I doubt that any language intensive course is manageable along with a job, because it is basically eight hours of classroom and then 4-5 hours of homework per day. However, if you still would like to consider it as an option, the Paideia Institute does offer "Telepaideia" courses in various languages online (Latin obviously included), geared towards classicists and adjacent fields. All people I know who went through it had mixed responses, however, and I do recommend staying away from Paideia as an institution in general.

Hope that furthers your options. 

8 hours ago, rex-sidereus said:

@Grace Bones I agree with the general consensus that you can't get around Latin when you're a medievalist.

If you're willing to consider an intensive, I very heavily recommend UC Cork's Greek & Latin Summer School. It might work out for you logistically if you're UK-bound. Even with the airfare from the US, it is about three times cheaper than analogous programs in the American universities,  and the instructors are committed and fantastic. I took Greek with them, which served me well. And the people from the Latin group also had a great and productive learning experience.

I doubt that any language intensive course is manageable along with a job, because it is basically eight hours of classroom and then 4-5 hours of homework per day. However, if you still would like to consider it as an option, the Paideia Institute does offer "Telepaideia" courses in various languages online (Latin obviously included), geared towards classicists and adjacent fields. All people I know who went through it had mixed responses, however, and I do recommend staying away from Paideia as an institution in general.

Hope that furthers your options. 

I've applied to the CUNY program, but I'll check this one out as well. I'm just going to have to talk it over with my parents.

1 hour ago, parens_scientiarum said:

Salvete, friends!

Has anyone here interviewed with the professors at Notre Dame? I've heard some curious things about the questions they ask. Not trying to pry, but I would like to know if someone might be willing to describe the experience in general terms...

What kinds of curious things?

3 hours ago, parens_scientiarum said:

Salvete, friends!

Has anyone here interviewed with the professors at Notre Dame? I've heard some curious things about the questions they ask. Not trying to pry, but I would like to know if someone might be willing to describe the experience in general terms...

I interviewed there 2 years ago and don't remember anything strange about the questions. What do you have in mind?

9 hours ago, parens_scientiarum said:

Salvete, friends!

What do you mean? Are you going to the recruitment visit? 

1 hour ago, jos123 said:

How did you do? Mine was less than 20 min.

I think it went okay. Not great not bad. I don’t think I was able to present myself super well and the speed of the questions kinda through me off. 

On 2/4/2018 at 4:17 PM, parens_scientiarum said:

Salvete, friends!

5 hours ago, FrankJEspin said:

I think it went okay. Not great not bad. I don’t think I was able to present myself super well and the speed of the questions kinda through me off. 

I interviewed for (and was then accepted to) the Medieval Institute three years ago, and my Skype interview felt very odd at the time -- not because of anything on the interviewing committee's part (they were delightful), but because I ended up not having anything to say in answer to one general question (my last of the interview) beyond a rambling half-answer that kept circling back (and back, and back -- it was like watching a discursive car crash in very, very slow motion, and from the driver's sear) to Augustine and erections, so.

So, really, I'm sure you presented yourself just fine!