HKS 2018

Stacy_85

23 hours ago, wittgensteinsbladder said:

Weird, it's almost like different people come to different decisions. :)

On a more serious note, if PSLF is still around, combined with a little help from Harvard's Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP), the debt won't be all that terrible for me. The career/network advantages over Harris seem to make it worth it.

Definitely a big "if" though...

Well of course, different circumstances. I should have mentioned that I am from outside the US and if I wanted to return home I would probably have a lower rent potential, so I also must factor that.

Hi all - Anyone got off the waitlist yet? Is it still too early? I am WL’d for the mid-career program (MC/MPA Non-Mason) and received an email today indicating no change to the enrollment outlook right now and more updates to be shared in late May. 

Wanted to check if other have received any updates, thanks! 

Edited by Alras

• 3 weeks later...

Do the accepted people have a clear idea of what they will do for accomodations?

I am a foreign student and am beginning to be anxious to find a cheap but comfortable place. I was thinking sharing a flat in Sommerville but obviously I cannot visit before.

What are the plans for foreign students? With how much anticipation will you reserve?

On 5/15/2018 at 1:45 AM, datik said:

Do the accepted people have a clear idea of what they will do for accomodations?

I am a foreign student and am beginning to be anxious to find a cheap but comfortable place. I was thinking sharing a flat in Sommerville but obviously I cannot visit before.

What are the plans for foreign students? With how much anticipation will you reserve?

It’s turning out to be a hassle because my Harvard Housing window is June 1st so I have little hope. Somerville is not too well connected via subway from the point of view of winters. Best to take something in Porter, Davis or Central Square since they’re all on the Red T line (subway is more convenient in winters). Follow Facebook groups of Harvard Housing!

• 9 months later...
On 3/27/2018 at 2:26 AM, adow93 said:

Hey everyone,

Maybe someone can provide some guidance. I didn't get in to HKS, unfortunately, but I'm in the MDP program at Berkeley, MPA-DP in SIPA, and MIDP in Georgetown. All three of them end up being similar amounts after funding. Do you recommend any over the other? Do you think it will be easier to get a better job in one program over the other? Any opinion would be fantastic!

Hey, exactly the same (except didn’t apply to HKS and got into Fletcher’s MALD). I’ve worked in development in India for ~5 years. Would love to compare notes and get a sense of what you’re thinking. Thanks!

• 2 years later...
On 4/20/2018 at 1:35 AM, wittgensteinsbladder said:

Alright it’s official, I’m going yolo and paying full tuition to HKS. Believe me, I understand the financial implications. Harris still says they’re willing to negotiate further, and I’ll hear them out, but it feels official at this point.

I hope to be the counterpoint to the doom and gloom “think long and hard...” type posts. But feel free to check in on me (email notifications should be turned on) in a couple years to see if I regret it! I’ll be honest.

Hi! I hope you did great un HkS! A couple of years have passed and I have to make a similar decision and I was wondering if you could share with me about your financial decision now that years have passed.

I (international student) was accepted to SIPA (80k scholarship) and HKS with no funding, I would have to take a $100k loan to go to Harvard, and I’m struggling with this!!!

I appreciate any help in advance!!