HKS 2018

Stacy_85

There are so many wrinkles to all of this. I won't tell you what to do, but I will say that Columbia has a stellar brand as well. I personally wouldn't turn down $70k at one institution in order to pursue studies at another where I would bear full cost. 

That you're asking this question though makes me think that the Harvard brand seems to dwarf Columbia's in India? If that's the case, you'd also need to ask yourself whether or not that really matters in your overall career trajectory. Are you going to get a higher level job solely because Harvard is on your resume? Are you going to get extra pay because you went to HKS? Will you be more attractive to potential clients? Those are the questions I'd say need to be answered at the very least before you decide one way or another. 

I recently finished my MBA at a top program on a full tuition scholarship (took myself off the waitlist at Dartmouth), so let me add my two cents to those weighing their options...

Go to the school with the scholarships or aid. 

Graduating with ~$70k in debt compared to many classmates who are ~$200k in debt is an incredible and freeing thing. I was able to take the perfect opportunity after school because of this. Even with a full scholarship, the program cost me about $40k a year. Boston is an expensive city that eats through your income especially if you plan to go out and make friends with your classmates—something you should do. After graduating, the competition for jobs did not come down to which school you went to (except at the elite firms and this really only applies for MBAs—it came down to what you learned and how you interviewed. Yes, my school has a great brand and so does Harvard but take the brand off and pick the right program for you. That makes the difference so much more than you think it will.

p.s. Does anyone know how many people get off the WL at HKS? I'm assuming it's a relatively good number considering the few financial aid options.

Edited by hks_mpa_18

Hey guys, I'm an Indian applicant too, and was accepted into the MPA/ID with some funding (but not enough to make this decision easy at all). Also in at Fletcher and SIPA. Just noticed there are a bunch of applicants from India on here and if it helps, we should chat!

3 hours ago, starrynight6 said:

Hey guys, I'm an Indian applicant too, and was accepted into the MPA/ID with some funding (but not enough to make this decision easy at all). Also in at Fletcher and SIPA. Just noticed there are a bunch of applicants from India on here and if it helps, we should chat!

Hi, are you coming for the Delhi meet. Let's connect on the HKS admit group too. 

Does anyone know if the loan repayments at HKS is available to international students too- and whether it is a better choice than bank loans? Asking for a friend.

Edited by brown queer
Typo

37 minutes ago, brown queer said:

Does anyone know if the loan repayments at HKS is available to international students too- and whether it is a better choice than bank loans? Asking for a friend.

https://www.hks.harvard.edu/sites/default/files/student financial services/files/LRAP Policies and Eligibility Guidelines_web.pdf

Edited by Venitian

On 16/3/2018 at 4:55 PM, starrynight6 said:

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing how you heard? Was it on the MYFAID portal, or a separate email?

Thanks!! I have received a separate mail from the JJWBGSP and it also appears on my MYFAID portal.

They release the awards on a rolling basis: "The JJWBGSP Secretariat presents the finalists for partnership scholarship to the World Bank’s Executive Director for Japan for approval on a rolling basis, matching the JJWBGSP Partner university’s admission cycle. The Secretariat informs the scholarship winners to a partner master degree program soon after approval." (http://www.worldbank.org/en/programs/scholarships#3)

Hello! So I am caught in a bit of a dilemma here and wanted some help. 

I got accepted into HKS for MPP but with no funding. Even if the external scholarships I applied for come through, I think I will at the best case scenario receive partial funding for tuition. 
I am from India and have no clue about the living expenses at Harvard and wanted to know approx how much it would be for the duration of the course.

Also, I got an offer from NUS Singapore for their MPP with a full scholarship. I want to work in India and primarily in the Asian region only post my masters. 

Considering this, which one would be better? Going to NUS with scholarship or HKS with some funding? Is there a significant different between the two schools in terms of employment opportunities and career trajectories post masters?

Thanks!

On 3/24/2018 at 2:37 AM, binil_m said:

I got accepted into HKS for MPP but with no funding. Even if the external scholarships I applied for come through, I think I will at the best case scenario receive partial funding for tuition. 
I am from India and have no clue about the living expenses at Harvard and wanted to know approx how much it would be for the duration of the course.

Also, I got an offer from NUS Singapore for their MPP with a full scholarship. I want to work in India and primarily in the Asian region only post my masters. 

Considering this, which one would be better? Going to NUS with scholarship or HKS with some funding? Is there a significant different between the two schools in terms of employment opportunities and career trajectories post masters?

Thanks!

the budget is here:

https://www.hks.harvard.edu/admissions-aid/funding-your-education/funding-your-masters-education/tuition-fees

Do you guys know if they'll reconsider funding if there's a change in your application since you last applied? I got promoted recently at work, and am unsure if I should see if they might reconsider any sort of funding because of it, or if its just a lost cause...

@binil_m I'd say NUS. Harvard brand name isn't worth the $140k you'll be taking for loans (total cost of attendance for MPP), which you'll end up paying for most of your life. NUS is a great brand name too for that matter. Go for NUS, since you want to work in Asia as well. 

Hey everyone,

Maybe someone can provide some guidance. I didn't get in to HKS, unfortunately, but I'm in the MDP program at Berkeley, MPA-DP in SIPA, and MIDP in Georgetown. All three of them end up being similar amounts after funding. Do you recommend any over the other? Do you think it will be easier to get a better job in one program over the other? Any opinion would be fantastic!

Without knowing your career goals, I'd pick either SIPA or Georgetown. I lived in the Bay Area for 5 years and IMO it is much harder to live there on a student budget than it is to live in DC or even NY (limited and expensive public transit, few 'cheap' neighborhoods to live in, etc). 

1 hour ago, wcw said:

Without knowing your career goals, I'd pick either SIPA or Georgetown. I lived in the Bay Area for 5 years and IMO it is much harder to live there on a student budget than it is to live in DC or even NY (limited and expensive public transit, few 'cheap' neighborhoods to live in, etc). 

Thank you. I'm looking to redirect my career towards development, but not yet sure what specific area. I do want to maintain a big international perspective, as I would like to return sooner or later to Venezuela. How much of an advantage would being in DC provide?

On 3/24/2018 at 7:07 AM, binil_m said:

Thanks!

If you plan to work in the public or non profit sector, apply to Harvard & take a loan eligible under their Loan Repayment Assistance Programme. It will cover your loan repayments.