HKS 2018

Stacy_85

10 hours ago, wittgensteinsbladder said:

Have others gotten the their physical admit letter in the mail? It seems like I would have gotten it by now.

Matt posted that he'd just finished the last of them a few days ago. I received mine on Friday. I think it takes a while for him because I believe he personalizes each individual letter in ink with a little note. 

8 hours ago, pasale said:

anyone turning down HKS? 

disclosure: i'm turning it down for notre dame's keough (full ride + stipend). couldn't justify $100k+ debt. 

I will likely turn it down for GSPP. I actually know some profs at HKS quite well through my job and they agreed it was a bit absurd to pay full tuition, and strongly insinuated that the quality of the teaching at places with smaller cohorts like GSPP is actually better than HKS for master's students due to HKS's size / many degree programs / other obligations of HKS profs.

Edited by pubpol123

7 minutes ago, rapswell said:

Thanks for the feedback. Seems pretty set in stone. I received 20k/yr but that's nowhere close to what I would like. Did you mention funding offers at other places if that was applicable?

Yes, I did. They acknowledged it, and wished me best of luck as I make my decision. haha. 

On 4/12/2018 at 1:39 AM, wittgensteinsbladder said:

I’m in this quandary. Depends what size of offer Harris comes back with and what feeling I get at HKS admit day.

Would love to talk with you folks also deliberating over this, it’s kinda eating me up.

Any idea by when would Harris get back to us?

Alright it’s official, I’m going yolo and paying full tuition to HKS. Believe me, I understand the financial implications. Harris still says they’re willing to negotiate further, and I’ll hear them out, but it feels official at this point.

I hope to be the counterpoint to the doom and gloom “think long and hard...” type posts. But feel free to check in on me (email notifications should be turned on) in a couple years to see if I regret it! I’ll be honest.

Hey guys. Just updating. HKS offered me Public Service Fellowship (100,000. I guess it takes care of tuition). The mail came out of the blue. But declined in favour of WWS. They replied saying it will be offered to someone else. Maybe someone has already got a mail in that regard!

33 minutes ago, Prester John said:

Hey guys. Just updating. HKS offered me Public Service Fellowship (100,000. I guess it takes care of tuition). The mail came out of the blue. But declined in favour of WWS. They replied saying it will be offered to someone else. Maybe someone has already got a mail in that regard!

Ha, that's kind of incredible at the last minute. Hope someone else gets a great email today!

Edited by pubpol123

Does anyone know the start/end dates for the MPP program?

On 4/20/2018 at 3:35 AM, wittgensteinsbladder said:

Alright it’s official, I’m going yolo and paying full tuition to HKS. Believe me, I understand the financial implications. Harris still says they’re willing to negotiate further, and I’ll hear them out, but it feels official at this point.

I hope to be the counterpoint to the doom and gloom “think long and hard...” type posts. But feel free to check in on me (email notifications should be turned on) in a couple years to see if I regret it! I’ll be honest.

I am also doing this, but only because I have a considerable amount saved up and my parents can support a certain percentage of the tuition. I would not do it if I had to go full debt for the entire cost of the program.

2 hours ago, datik said:

I would not do it if I had to go full debt for the entire cost of the program.

Weird, it's almost like different people come to different decisions. :)

On a more serious note, if PSLF is still around, combined with a little help from Harvard's Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP), the debt won't be all that terrible for me. The career/network advantages over Harris seem to make it worth it.

Definitely a big "if" though...

Edited by wittgensteinsbladder