HKS 2018

Stacy_85

4 minutes ago, tropisk_winter said:

Got in! :) So unexpected and so relieved to know. I see that we hear about financial aid tomorrow. Do you think that also includes fellowships? Or did others hear about fellowships in their admissions letter? 

I didn't see anything there, so I'm assuming we'll find out tomorrow. 

Just checked the HKS page and got the WWS email; WL'd at Harvard, rejected from WWS. Thinking I'll be leaning towards Georgetown MSFS!

Congrats to everyone here who got in, you all deserve the best :)

Applied: MIA (SIPA), MPP (HKS), MSFS (Georgetown), SSP (Georgetown), MPP (WWS), MA (SAIS)

Admitted: SAIS ($$$), SIPA ($$$$), SSP ($$$$), MSFS ($$$$)

Waitlisted: HKS

Rejected: WWS

Final Decision:

7 minutes ago, subtle said:

Just checked the HKS page and got the WWS email; WL'd at Harvard, rejected from WWS. Thinking I'll be leaning towards Georgetown MSFS!

Congrats to everyone here who got in, you all deserve the best :)

Applied: MIA (SIPA), MPP (HKS), MSFS (Georgetown), SSP (Georgetown), MPP (WWS), MA (SAIS)

Admitted: SAIS ($$$), SIPA ($$$$), SSP ($$$$), MSFS ($$$$)

Waitlisted: HKS

Rejected: WWS

Final Decision:

Congrats! A quick question - how do you decide between SSP and MSFS? I am torn between those two. 

45 minutes ago, DKWTG18 said:

I didn't get in... But I might go to Ford too, what would you choose between Ford and McCourt?

I don’t know a ton about McCourt, and I think a lot of it depends on your area of interest and what you want to do afterwards. Also funding situation.

Some of the factors for me are that I’m a Michigan resident which makes Ford tuition like half as much, I’m interested in urban and housing policy, and I feel like there are some good opportunities for hands on learning around my interest area re: Detroit and Bohnett fellowship, considering applying to the MUP for a dual degree, etc. 

what is your concentration? what are you hoping to get out of it?

9 minutes ago, alkalidz said:

Congrats! A quick question - how do you decide between SSP and MSFS? I am torn between those two. 

For me, MSFS has always been the "perfect" fit. The classes are exactly aligned with my interests, I feel very "at home" on campus, the structure around workshops and concentrations really spoke to me. I was really torn between MSFS and HKS because while HKS's MPP is very different, I felt like since I already have a job lined up after graduation (per my fellowship), it would be useful to get a more diverse experience -- plus, it's Harvard!

SSP was lower on my list because it seemed better suited for people who want to work at 3 letter agencies or be very security-focused (as the name implies, I suppose). I thought about it, because I currently work in DC and SSP is supposedly much easier to maintain a 9-5 with than MSFS; but ultimately, MSFS is just an excellent fit. I've heard anecdotally from people in neither program, but who go to Georgetown, that SSP is "frowned upon" as "Orientalist" and "too new", but that's just one person's opinion and I didn't really consider it.

8 minutes ago, subtle said:

For me, MSFS has always been the "perfect" fit. The classes are exactly aligned with my interests, I feel very "at home" on campus, the structure around workshops and concentrations really spoke to me. I was really torn between MSFS and HKS because while HKS's MPP is very different, I felt like since I already have a job lined up after graduation (per my fellowship), it would be useful to get a more diverse experience -- plus, it's Harvard!

SSP was lower on my list because it seemed better suited for people who want to work at 3 letter agencies or be very security-focused (as the name implies, I suppose). I thought about it, because I currently work in DC and SSP is supposedly much easier to maintain a 9-5 with than MSFS; but ultimately, MSFS is just an excellent fit. I've heard anecdotally from people in neither program, but who go to Georgetown, that SSP is "frowned upon" as "Orientalist" and "too new", but that's just one person's opinion and I didn't really consider it.

Yep I can see people saying that about SSP. Thanks for the insights!

13 minutes ago, Dampact said:

Just writing this here for any archaeologist from next year who might want to know:

Didn't get in.

Hope you all that got in all the best.

Hahhaaha I posted my results for the exact same reason. 

Edited by HKSPY

Let me say something for those not yet accepted, or waiting on a list, or for future applicants, because I've been on Gradcafe for a while now.

I have talked myself out of applying to Harvard for many years now. I never thought I'd make it there. It took sitting down with someone who is currently attending HKS and their basically cursing me out for not applying to actually muster up the courage to finally do so. 

So when I began applying last year, I approached it with no holds barred. I went from not applying because I was scared, to not only envisioning myself at the school but also having the audacity to try and figure out where to live. I embraced the process fully. I made myself vulnerable. I reached deep within myself and, with the help of many friends, wrote essays that I guess were compelling. I made the process personal. I talked about PEOPLE and had these experiences guide me in crafting my narrative.

I HAD A REALLY BAD GRE SCORE. I can't stress enough how holistic this process is. I've been out of school for a while, but even by that standard I think it was too low. Had a decent GPA. Graduated from a community college and a state school. What undoubtedly helped was my work experience. I've worked with data and quantitative stuff for a while now. I've managed campaigns. I've done heavy quant research. I'm just horrible at standardized tests haha. I think I made a good enough case along those lines. I also have multiple years of international experience. 

I had really good recommendations. You want to ensure you find someone that will fight for you within their recommendations. Essentially, you want folks who would call and curse admissions out for not accepting you. :P

I owe a lot of my admission to this forum. For that, I'll check in every now and then to look at any PMs or responses. I'd love to be the person that gives you the encouraging word I received from a friend not too long ago to apply. YOU CAN DO THIS! Whether you're in now or will be applying later. BELIEVE THAT!