Hello all! Here's the deal: I graduate from the University of Montevallo in May 2018. I'm the former secretary and current VP of NSSLHA. I've done qualitative research in the area of aphasia as primary investigator, and am positive I will be able to get above average recommendation letters from professors. BUT, my GPA is on the low end. I took dual enrollment classes in high school and ended up with several B's and a couple of C's. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life then, and of course had no idea how competitive SLP programs are. Assuming I get all A's this fall, my GPA will end up being a 3.56. My current GRE score is 294 and 3.5 writing. I'm retaking it in the beginning of November. I'm applying to severallllll schools in the southeast. My top choices are University of Tennessee, University of Memphis, East Tennessee State University and the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill (long shot, I know, but many of their faculty have done research in aphasia and I thought I might have a chance considering my background.)

What kind of chances do I have? Any advice as far as personal statements,  recommendation letters, etc would be much appreciated!

I think if you're able to maintain your grades and get your GRE scores above a 300 combined, you have a good shot. It sounds like you have quite a bit of experience! :) A 3.56 is still competitive!

You might want to address some of the lower grades you got from before in your SOP, and maybe point out the skills and grades you've gotten more recently that reflect your growth. Best of luck!

11 hours ago, snoves said:

I think if you're able to maintain your grades and get your GRE scores above a 300 combined, you have a good shot. It sounds like you have quite a bit of experience! :) A 3.56 is still competitive!

You might want to address some of the lower grades you got from before in your SOP, and maybe point out the skills and grades you've gotten more recently that reflect your growth. Best of luck!

That's very encouraging, thank you! I know some of the schools I am applying to say in their essay prompt to explain any unusual aspects of your academic history, but some do not. Is it still appropriate to mention my mediocre grades in essays that don't ask? Also, do they look at what classes those grades are in or does it matter to them?

13 hours ago, mhilley1996 said:

**Correction: GRE 298 (144 quant, 154 verbal)

Hello all! Here's the deal: I graduate from the University of Montevallo in May 2018. I'm the former secretary and current VP of NSSLHA. I've done qualitative research in the area of aphasia as primary investigator, and am positive I will be able to get above average recommendation letters from professors. BUT, my GPA is on the low end. I took dual enrollment classes in high school and ended up with several B's and a couple of C's. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life then, and of course had no idea how competitive SLP programs are. Assuming I get all A's this fall, my GPA will end up being a 3.56. My current GRE score is 294 and 3.5 writing. I'm retaking it in the beginning of November. I'm applying to severallllll schools in the southeast. My top choices are University of Tennessee, University of Memphis, East Tennessee State University and the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill (long shot, I know, but many of their faculty have done research in aphasia and I thought I might have a chance considering my background.)

What kind of chances do I have? Any advice as far as personal statements,  recommendation letters, etc would be much appreciated!

I think you have a solid shot at getting into grad school for SLP.  What is your CSD GPA vs your cumulative GPA?  I had a much worse cumulative GPA, but a 4.0 in CSD and about a 3.96 for the last 60 units.  For some schools, it affected their decision, but I still was accepted into 4 SLP grad programs.  I did not have any research background, nor was I a member of NSSLHA, but I did have LOTs of experience working with children and focusing on their unique needs.  My GRE was similar, 154 V/146 Q/4.0 AW.  I feel like if you get a chance to retake the GRE and raise it a tad bit, that would be incredibly beneficial for your situation.  Write an amazing LOR, and I bet you'll get into several schools too.  Now, if your CSD GPA isn't very high, then it makes faculty wonder why and that'll be another annoying hurtle.  Keep rocking it, and you'll be past the stressful and scary stage of getting into grad school.    

If you can get your quant to >50th percentile and your total to 300+, I think you'd have a decent shot at many programs. A lot of schools even if they look at cumulative GPA's still weight last 60 credits and major GPA's more heavily than the cumulative. If those are higher for you (which presumably they are), I would add a line in your statement about how you learned from your DE experience study skill strategies that will help you in grad school.

6 hours ago, mhilley1996 said:

That's very encouraging, thank you! I know some of the schools I am applying to say in their essay prompt to explain any unusual aspects of your academic history, but some do not. Is it still appropriate to mention my mediocre grades in essays that don't ask? Also, do they look at what classes those grades are in or does it matter to them?

I would think so...I don't see how it would hurt, at least. :) Most schools will look at your last 60 credits and your CDIS GPA, but I'm not sure if they look at specific classes!

hi-- one piece of advice from someone who had a similar profile many years ago- apply to those schools which look at major GPA vs overall gpa. you may have to call and ask what they put more weight on but for your GPA profile, that could make or break you.  i have lots of other tips and advice on www.slpgradschool.com if youre interested-- take care--p