Vanier CGS (2017-2018)

PsychBoy

Hi everyone, 

Who has applied to the Vanier CGS competition this year? Under which agency? What did you think about the 2017 updated process/instructions? 

- Have you been nominated by your department yet? 

- Have you been nominated by your university to the national competition? When should we hear from our university if our application is being sent to the national competition?

Let's discuss the process here!

Edited by PsychBoy

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Hello! I haven't applied to this, I can't anyways because I am not a doctoral student but I believe that most of these scholarships give out their results around April, no?

The final decisions are on March 31 but I am talking about nominations to the national competition by universities (deadline Nov. 1). 

Edited by PsychBoy

1 minute ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Ah ok! Sorry for the confusion. Good luck, I hope you get it!

Thank you but haven't heard anything and it's Oct 24 and I heard they tell you ahead of time to adjust your application before it's sent to the national competition :(

@PsychBoy Depending on what your school's procedures are, you might not know until March that you were forwarded. I have heard that some schools don't let applicants know they were forwarded while other schools do. My school did and requested I make some edits. You should just email your grad studies co-ordinator.

Edited by p(ache)d

@PsychBoy I found out last week that I was being forwarded under NSERC and submitted my finalized application yesterday. Today I looked on research net and it says "Approved by Research Institution". After Nov 1 I feel like everyone's research net status should be updated...?

Edited by slp_throwaway

I received a notification from ResearchNet around November 1. Our deadline to submit to our institution was October 19, so I waited 2 weeks. I anticipated this because the e-mail said if I did not get a response within two weeks I should e-mail the institution.

I was nominated by my department and it was forwarded to the university committee. It is now forwarded to the Vanier CGS selection committee and apparently now we have to wait until end of March. I am feeling very anxious because 150k for 3 years is huge and it would lessen a lot of financial burden. I am a bit worried because I accidentally made a typo on the 'optional' lay abstract title. I am hoping I don't get penalized for that, ugh.

Good luck to everyone!

5 hours ago, CrazyPugLady said:

I received a notification from ResearchNet around November 1. Our deadline to submit to our institution was October 19, so I waited 2 weeks. I anticipated this because the e-mail said if I did not get a response within two weeks I should e-mail the institution.

I was nominated by my department and it was forwarded to the university committee. It is now forwarded to the Vanier CGS selection committee and apparently now we have to wait until end of March. I am feeling very anxious because 150k for 3 years is huge and it would lessen a lot of financial burden. I am a bit worried because I accidentally made a typo on the 'optional' lay abstract title. I am hoping I don't get penalized for that, ugh.

Good luck to everyone!

I know someone who had 8 mistakes in their personal statement and who won (Vanier)

I also know someone who had a typo in their title for a FRQSC scholarship and who won

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PsychBoy said:

77 days! congrats!

Thanks! I just checked what research net says online, it updated to "in peer review". I am so anxious about the results! Some days I think I have no chance because my demonstrated research and academic excellence sections are relatively weak, whereas other days I think my leadership section will outshine the others... who knows! Wish 77 days could come sooner lol

Edited by Gradstudentforlife

6 hours ago, Gradstudentforlife said:

Thanks! I just checked what research net says online, it updated to "in peer review". I am so anxious about the results! Some days I think I have no chance because my demonstrated research and academic excellence sections are relatively weak, whereas other days I think my leadership section will outshine the others... who knows! Wish 77 days could come sooner lol

my status is also "in peer review"...very anxious as well...