Vanier CGS (2017-2018)

PsychBoy

13 hours ago, Gradstudentforlife said:

Can March 30 come sooner?! Do you know if the results are updated online or sent through snail mail?

They will send you an email saying that your ResearchNet status has been updated to Decision Available. Then, you log in onto ResearchNet and you see the decision/if you have an offer. 

Hey everyone, I just want to say that you should take care of yourselves. I remember how excruciating it was waiting. If I could do it again, I'd try to focus more on my work and less on an outcome I had no control over. I know it's easier said than done, but I regret how much energy I put in to thinking about the results. Just know that regardless of what happens, you're all impressive scholars. And remember that the process is subjective and depends heavily on who you have reviewing your application, so it's a bit of a gamble. Anyways, March 30 will come sooner than you think and try to make the most of your time until then. Take care.

On 2018-01-24 at 2:49 PM, p(ache)d said:

Hey everyone, I just want to say that you should take care of yourselves. I remember how excruciating it was waiting. If I could do it again, I'd try to focus more on my work and less on an outcome I had no control over. I know it's easier said than done, but I regret how much energy I put in to thinking about the results. Just know that regardless of what happens, you're all impressive scholars. And remember that the process is subjective and depends heavily on who you have reviewing your application, so it's a bit of a gamble. Anyways, March 30 will come sooner than you think and try to make the most of your time until then. Take care.

Thank you @p(ache)d

I really appreciate your words and updates

Yup, apparently all we can do is wait. This is not under our control anymore. I do admit sometimes I obsessively check ResearchNet and look over my application to see if I have any mistakes or anything. Ugh.

I too want March 30 to come sooner. I got my application sent to SSHRC and the letter says the decision is also made end-of-March. I also have heard positive things about OGS for me.

When we do find out, apparently you don't find the decision posted - it will say there's a letter. The decision is in that letter - so another extra thing to open instead of just seeing the status on the website haha.

9 hours ago, CrazyPugLady said:

Yup, apparently all we can do is wait. This is not under our control anymore. I do admit sometimes I obsessively check ResearchNet and look over my application to see if I have any mistakes or anything. Ugh.

I too want March 30 to come sooner. I got my application sent to SSHRC and the letter says the decision is also made end-of-March. I also have heard positive things about OGS for me.

When we do find out, apparently you don't find the decision posted - it will say there's a letter. The decision is in that letter - so another extra thing to open instead of just seeing the status on the website haha.

You're right it's in the letter attached. 

I looked at my application the other day and found mistakes lol. 

I also already have funding from FRQ so I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if both Vanier and SSHRC reject me :(

Edited by PsychBoy

14 hours ago, PsychBoy said:

You're right it's in the letter attached. 

I looked at my application the other day and found mistakes lol. 

I also already have funding from FRQ so I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if both Vanier and SSHRC reject me :(

Congrats on your funding! I understand what you mean. It's nice you've secured funding for one agency but obviously it's even nicer to win the bigger prize.

I'm rooting for you and everyone else in the competition. I hope all of us can win the Vanier. Sometimes I put myself down, but really, it is a huge honour and testament to our scholarly capabilities to even be nominated and sent to the national level for the Vanier.

1 hour ago, CrazyPugLady said:

Congrats on your funding! I understand what you mean. It's nice you've secured funding for one agency but obviously it's even nicer to win the bigger prize.

I'm rooting for you and everyone else in the competition. I hope all of us can win the Vanier. Sometimes I put myself down, but really, it is a huge honour and testament to our scholarly capabilities to even be nominated and sent to the national level for the Vanier.

Thanks! You're right...still, I really hope you get it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-02-09 at 5:08 PM, slp_throwaway said:

Has anyone emailed them to see if it will still be March 30th? That's actually Good Friday, a stat holiday, so I was wondering if they would send it on the 29th or wait until April 2 (because the Monday is Easter Monday :/)

On ResearchNet it says March 30 and on their website "End of March"...I did not email them...

On 2/9/2018 at 5:08 PM, slp_throwaway said:

Has anyone emailed them to see if it will still be March 30th? That's actually Good Friday, a stat holiday, so I was wondering if they would send it on the 29th or wait until April 2 (because the Monday is Easter Monday :/)

I'm inclined to think it may be April 2, because Vanier is government and it would be a statutory holiday. Makes the wait much more suspenseful, but I suppose what is two more days in the grand scheme of things?

March is approaching. The anxiety and anticipation is KILLING me!

6 hours ago, CrazyPugLady said:

I'm inclined to think it may be April 2, because Vanier is government and it would be a statutory holiday. Makes the wait much more suspenseful, but I suppose what is two more days in the grand scheme of things?

March is approaching. The anxiety and anticipation is KILLING me!

but they say end of March on their official website...why would they take the time to update it if it's April 2? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2018 at 5:08 PM, slp_throwaway said:

I've inquired and they said "end of March"! So, I'm going to count down to March 30/31 .......... 23 days left!

8 hours ago, Gradstudentforlife said:

I've inquired and they said "end of March"! So, I'm going to count down to March 30/31 .......... 23 days left!

ResearchNet says March 30 

thanks for asking them!

Edited by PsychBoy

On 1/28/2018 at 12:30 PM, CrazyPugLady said:

Do you know if this is a snail mail letter? Or electronic? I'm just thinking if it's snail mail, maybe it will come sooner than March 30 :P ;)

Edited by Gradstudentforlife

7 hours ago, Gradstudentforlife said:

Do you know if this is a snail mail letter? Or electronic? I'm just thinking if it's snail mail, maybe it will come sooner than March 30 :P ;)

it's all electronic -- through ResearchNet

Anyone else fluctuating to a state of hopefulness and confidence (I got this! I hope I get it!), to a state of hopelessness and anxiety? These next few weeks are going to be rough. I just want to know already. :(

3 hours ago, CrazyPugLady said:

Anyone else fluctuating to a state of hopefulness and confidence (I got this! I hope I get it!), to a state of hopelessness and anxiety? These next few weeks are going to be rough. I just want to know already. :(

EXACTLY what I'm feeling :( I've already warned my friends, I'll either be ecstatic or super sad that day...... on a positive note: only 2 weeks left!!!!!!

10 hours ago, CrazyPugLady said:

yes and those stats that were posted about the number of publications in the Vanier (2019-2020) thread made me really anxious/hopeless

@PsychBoy Tangibly, it's just given me more time to work on research. I only get one TA a year (as opposed to two pre Vanier) so it's freed up time. Additionally, I think in some ways it's added more pressure to be a "good academic", but much of that is probably concocted by me.

Re: publications, I didn't have any peer reviewed journal pubs going into applying and I ranked middle of the pack of Vanier recipients. I remember what it was like for me this time of year, and it was unbearable. I was a wreck. Don't be like me. Take care of yourselves and remember that so much of this is subjective and luck of the draw in terms of who you get reviewing your application.