Vanier CGS (2017-2018)

PsychBoy

9 hours ago, von9 said:

CIHR here too. Totally forgot about this until today. What helps me is the fact that getting this thing wouldn't make me that much happier in the grand scheme of things. One award can't quantify anyone's self worth. Hang in there, everyone!

It won't make me happier, either. But it would make me so relieved to not have to worry about how I will be covering my and my family's expenses.

Guys, I actually did have a question (for the next competition) as I am sure that I would have to reapply.

For the 2 leadership letters of references, whom did you choose?

Did you ask one or both of your academic referees to also write your leadership letters? Or did you have 4 different referees?

Did people find it hard to find 4 separate referees? How did you overcome that? I was not prepared that they added a new letter as a friend who won the Vanier before said they only needed 3 letters total.

7 minutes ago, orange turtle said:

Guys, I actually did have a question (for the next competition) as I am sure that I would have to reapply.

Did you ask one or both of your academic referees to also write your leadership letters? Or did you have 4 different referees?

Did people find it hard to find 4 separate referees? How did you overcome that? I was not prepared that they added a new letter as a friend who won the Vanier before said they only needed 3 letters total.

yeah out of the blue they changed the instructions last year!

I have 4 different individuals 

my leadership letters are not research-oriented (although they do have an academic flavor to them)

they usually strongly recommend non-academic letters

12 minutes ago, PsychBoy said:

yeah out of the blue they changed the instructions last year!

I have 4 different individuals 

my leadership letters are not research-oriented (although they do have an academic flavor to them)

they usually strongly recommend non-academic letters

Same here. 4 referees. But the 2 leadership ones still have an "academic flavour." Eep.

6 hours ago, orange turtle said:

I had 4 separate referees and my 2 leadership letters were from previous work colleagues (a boss and someone I worked with). While one job was academic-related, both emphasized leadership, which I think was more important than the academic flavour.

In total I had 4 referees, including leadership. I also sent some leadership stuff to my academic referees just so they could write me a well-rounded letter. Obviously the academic referees are going to talk about my academic achievements and research potential. 

I really took it seriously that it was recommended that the leadership letters are non-academic and emphasized that to my referees.

My two leadership letters were 1) my longtime mentor at my undergrad university that I still talk to on a regular basis and 2) an ex-supervisor from my previous place of work.

For my first leadership letter I asked my mentor to emphasize my leadership qualities since I did a lot of student governance stuff and community activism. I led a student movement back in my undergrad with a lot of his support, so he wrote a lot about that. I think the only time he mentioned anything to do with academics was when he called me a high quality student. But that's about it.

My advice would be to communicate clearly as possible to your leadership referees what needs to be said. Send them a document of all your leadership accomplishments, or what constitutes leadership according to the Vanier list. You can actually see their letters so work with them closely in terms of what needs to be emphasized or not. I suppose this depends on the level of closeness you have with your referees.

11 hours ago, orange turtle said:

I chose 4 separate referees as well, and also was very attentive to the fact that they ask for leadership referees to be non-academic. I found that others that I know who had won in the past didn't deviate from the instructions much, if at all. 

For referees, I asked 1 person related to my experience with disabilities volunteering, and 1 other was a teacher from high school that I still regularly communicate with.

I thought that once I got into a PhD program and the craziness of waiting for admissions decisions was over, I wouldn't have to anxiously wait for results from competitions anymore. However I guess it just continues throughout our academic careers! My advisor was telling me about how he was eagerly waiting for the results of his own SSHRC grant application lately. 

9 hours ago, Kreed said:

I had 4 separate referees and my 2 leadership letters were from previous work colleagues (a boss and someone I worked with). While one job was academic-related, both emphasized leadership, which I think was more important than the academic flavour.

7 hours ago, CrazyPugLady said:

In total I had 4 referees, including leadership. I also sent some leadership stuff to my academic referees just so they could write me a well-rounded letter. Obviously the academic referees are going to talk about my academic achievements and research potential. 

I really took it seriously that it was recommended that the leadership letters are non-academic and emphasized that to my referees.

My two leadership letters were 1) my longtime mentor at my undergrad university that I still talk to on a regular basis and 2) an ex-supervisor from my previous place of work.

For my first leadership letter I asked my mentor to emphasize my leadership qualities since I did a lot of student governance stuff and community activism. I led a student movement back in my undergrad with a lot of his support, so he wrote a lot about that. I think the only time he mentioned anything to do with academics was when he called me a high quality student. But that's about it.

My advice would be to communicate clearly as possible to your leadership referees what needs to be said. Send them a document of all your leadership accomplishments, or what constitutes leadership according to the Vanier list. You can actually see their letters so work with them closely in terms of what needs to be emphasized or not. I suppose this depends on the level of closeness you have with your referees.

4 hours ago, InsaneMembrane said:

I chose 4 separate referees as well, and also was very attentive to the fact that they ask for leadership referees to be non-academic. I found that others that I know who had won in the past didn't deviate from the instructions much, if at all. 

For referees, I asked 1 person related to my experience with disabilities volunteering, and 1 other was a teacher from high school that I still regularly communicate with.

Similar here.

I used one person (manager/coordinator) from a community volunteer organisation I work with, and a professor I have kept in touch with for years.

The coordinator addressed and emphasised my going "above and beyond" portion for the marginalised community at large.

The professor addressed and emphasised my work with student government, mentoring, student activism, etc. Similar to @CrazyPugLady, the only "academic" portion my professor mentioned was that I was an excellent student.

So I guess we all read the instructions similarly.

Good luck, everyone!

Maybe while waiting we can get ready for the big day? 

How about we post the following when results are released:

- awarded/rejected

- agency

- breakdown of scores in each category 

- overall ranking  

(I really need some distraction lol)

1 hour ago, PsychBoy said:

Maybe while waiting we can get ready for the big day? 

How about we post the following when results are released:

- awarded/rejected

- agency

- breakdown of scores in each category 

- overall ranking  

(I really need some distraction lol)

I wish there was an option to have them not give you your ranking if you aren't top 100 or something. If I'm dead last I would REALLY prefer that I don't find that out hahaha

I've been told by friends of mine that after the top 80 or so, they essentially stop rank-ordering them and just randomize their ranks in a sense. It makes sense because it's kind of a waste of time to spend time ranking applications that aren't close to being awarded. I totally agree that 56th place sounds like a horror movie LOL.