Vanier CGS (2017-2018)

PsychBoy

4 minutes ago, gradschool__throwaway said:

Does anyone else's Research net page say a different funding agency than what they applied for? When I click on "Check application status" it says "Funding Organization: Canadian Institutes of Health Research", but I applied under NSERC, and all my paperwork says NSERC...

I think it's because Vanier is all under CIHR (the administrative part). The logo of mine is CIHR but I'm under SSHRC.

Congrats to those who won!

My friend got 47/55 from SSHRC. I ranked 58. My lowest score was academic excellence. I suspect it's because I never won OGS or SSHRC in MA, because I have straight A's with some A+'s! And lack of publications. My highest score was research potential and then leadership.

What's the likelihood of getting off the waiting list? I doubt people will reject Vanier unless they switch schools, accept Trudeau, or go abroad... does anyone know? It just sucks to be so close.

I can't apply next year either. I spoke to the people at my school and I guess it must be a school rule or departmental rule, but I can't apply because it's for first year PhDs here. So I guess my struggle ends here unless three people reject SSHRC Vanier. :P

No luck for me. A bit disappointed since I thought my leadership score would be the highest given some of mt past experiences (designing policy for a country, organizing national conferences, president of student club, etc) but I only got a 4.6! And similarly, didn’t expect to get a 6 on research potential but it was my highest score ... ah well. Here’s hoping for SSHRC!

6 hours ago, CrazyPugLady said:

Congrats to those who won!

My friend got 47/55 from SSHRC. I ranked 58. My lowest score was academic excellence. I suspect it's because I never won OGS or SSHRC in MA, because I have straight A's with some A+'s! And lack of publications. My highest score was research potential and then leadership.

What's the likelihood of getting off the waiting list? I doubt people will reject Vanier unless they switch schools, accept Trudeau, or go abroad... does anyone know? It just sucks to be so close.

I can't apply next year either. I spoke to the people at my school and I guess it must be a school rule or departmental rule, but I can't apply because it's for first year PhDs here. So I guess my struggle ends here unless three people reject SSHRC Vanier. :P

It is possible that three will decline!!

9 hours ago, PsychBoy said:

It is possible that three will decline!!

I appreciate the optimism! And congrats on your Vanier. :)

Apparently 5% decline throughout the agencies. :( SSHRC Vanier does seem to have a higher rate of decline: http://www.cihr.gc.ca/e/48761.html

I hate being so close because it's like I can't get closure. It's still that state of hope, ugh. Does anyone know of people who got the Vanier and they were waitlisted? 

bcca6121523ce0a1bb1a9401485e206f.png

Well. They weren't able to give statistics for how many people declined or got moved up from the alternate list. They apparently don't document that info, lol.

I guess it's safe to say that it is very wishful thinking at this point to think something good will happen for me out of this. :P I haven't seen or heard any information about wait lists and stuff, so.

5 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

When applying for Vanier ,are you automatically considered for SSHRC? 

No. They are completely separate processes. 

I know someone who won a Vanier a few years ago (through the SSHRC stream) but she was not even forwarded to the national competition for the SSHRC doctoral fellowship by her university in the same year.

7 minutes ago, InsaneMembrane said:

How quickly did any of you receive your 'confirmation of commencement' form after accepting the offer on researchnet? 

huh? I still didn't get it!! is it normal? did anyone get it?