• 1 month later...

Hello I didn't apply for 2018 but I have a quick question, if someone can help me out it would be extremely appreciated:

I'm an international student and I'm considering to apply for the slp programs at mcmaster, western and dalhousie... I'm gonna be a senior and am studying in the states for applied developmental psychology. I wonder how hard it would be for a non-csd and non-canadian-educated undergrad to get into a slp program in Canada. (My brother's at waterloo so I figured it would be nice if we are in the same country)

I'm looking at a sub-GPA of 3.94 if nothing bad happens... Didn't have a bunch of csd-related volunteering experience, but interned at a high school in china, taught ESL, worked at my university's pre-school each for a summer (4mo. each). Volunteered at a local crisis nursery for a semester, and probably would start volunteering at the local Children's Institute and shadowing a certified speech therapists once my app goes through. 

What are my chances?

Also, I'm thinking of taking a year or two off to work first and relieve some financial burdens from my family. Would it hurt my chances if I apply two years later? Pls give my some advice I have no one to turn to!

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2018 at 9:40 PM, Ying_yic84 said:

Hello I didn't apply for 2018 but I have a quick question, if someone can help me out it would be extremely appreciated:

I'm an international student and I'm considering to apply for the slp programs at mcmaster, western and dalhousie... I'm gonna be a senior and am studying in the states for applied developmental psychology. I wonder how hard it would be for a non-csd and non-canadian-educated undergrad to get into a slp program in Canada. (My brother's at waterloo so I figured it would be nice if we are in the same country)

I'm looking at a sub-GPA of 3.94 if nothing bad happens... Didn't have a bunch of csd-related volunteering experience, but interned at a high school in china, taught ESL, worked at my university's pre-school each for a summer (4mo. each). Volunteered at a local crisis nursery for a semester, and probably would start volunteering at the local Children's Institute and shadowing a certified speech therapists once my app goes through. 

What are my chances?

Also, I'm thinking of taking a year or two off to work first and relieve some financial burdens from my family. Would it hurt my chances if I apply two years later? Pls give my some advice I have no one to turn to!

Hey! 

I don't think your chances for applying would be harder just because you're an international student - as long as you meet the prerequisites, they should view your application the same. I'm currently studying SLP at Western, and many of my classmates have different undergraduate degrees, again, as long as the prerequisites are met, they will look at your application. 

As for volunteering experience, you need the 14 hours as indicated on the websites, but of course, doing more is better. On the ORPAS app, I believe they also ask you about other volunteer experiences that are unrelated to CSD, so you can write down all the other things you've done there. 

Taking a year or two off before professional school is quite common and I don't think this would hurt your chances - just double check to make sure the courses used to fulfill prerequisites are still current (e.g. some expire by year 2020 or something). Also make sure you still have a way of contacting you academic references. 

If you have further questions, you can always email or call the universities that you are interested in. 

Good luck! 

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone!

I started a separate post for my question but figured I’d ask here too since it’s a pretty active thread.. 

I have received an offer from the University of Melbourne for their Masters of Speech Language Pathology to start in Feb 2019. I'm planning to return to work in Canada (Alberta) afterwards so I'm wondering if anyone else has gone this route? Based on the course information I've found on their website and comparing it to the registration requirements here it looks like I'd be short some hours. I don't want to spend 2 years and a lot of money on the degree if I won't be able to practice here afterwards! If anyone has gone through this process I'd love to hear how it went for you. 

I'm thinking of applying to the Canadian schools because it will be easy to get licensed, but because of the time lines I'd have to give up my Melbourne offer to apply here. I know it's crazy competitive here so I'm worried about getting in!

• 3 months later...

Hello! 

I am currently waiting to hear back from Western and Mac, but being a 2019, first-time application I have no idea what is considered a good versus bad GPA. 

My subGPA as calculated by ORPAS is 3.62 (ugh). I have over 200 hours of direct observation and hands-on work, plus approx. 400 hours of work as a TA. I am confident my clinical reference will be great, same with my academic references. 

Based on your acceptance class....what do you guys think my chances of gaining admission are...?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello to any 1st year U of A students - I have decided to accept my offer at the U of A but I am currently struggling a bit with housing options (I currently live in Vancouver and have never been to Edmonton). I am looking for apartment buildings that are close (i.e. 10-15 minute walk) to campus and/or transit. I'd prefer not to live in residence. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) 

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone! I’ve been following this thread and have a question about those of you who have gotten in but not got as high of a score on the GRE as you would have hoped. Specifically the quantitative section. I was wondering if anyone who has been accepted to schools that require the GRE if they would be willing to share their scores with me! Just so I know if. I should re take it or not! Thank you!