2010 Civil Engineering Applicants

Moghi

Hey i have applied for the course of Const. Proj. Mgmnt and have been accepted into Purdue, Umich and USC. My course in Umich is M.eng and MS elsewhere.

I am an international student. M very confused as to which school to choose...Some suggestions plz...

If it's up to me, I would choose Purdue, for their overall prestige in civil engineering. then USC because of their location. Just forget about Michigan, weather sucks there.

Berkeley has an unsual amount of rejects this year, it's weird. It seems like everyone's heading to Stanford! we should organize a dinner a week before class to get acquainted with each other. Is April 15th the last day we can expect funding? Will they notify us if we don't get funded? anyone considering living in east palo alto? bad area, but alot alot cheaper... I don't want to hi jack this thread, maybe we'll start another Stanford civil thread.

Berkeley has an unsual amount of rejects this year, it's weird. It seems like everyone's heading to Stanford! we should organize a dinner a week before class to get acquainted with each other. Is April 15th the last day we can expect funding? Will they notify us if we don't get funded? anyone considering living in east palo alto? bad area, but alot alot cheaper... I don't want to hi jack this thread, maybe we'll start another Stanford civil thread.

Good idea....count me in....

i am an international student, so it'll b tough for me to demarcate bad from gud areas....it'll all help me!

Good idea....count me in....

i am an international student, so it'll b tough for me to demarcate bad from gud areas....it'll all help me!

Good idea... I am an international applicant also... but I will live near Berkeley :P so I will have the fun and joy to commute to Stanford every day :S... But it is better than living in San Diego and traveling to SF the weekends.

@s1u8n, we need to start a Stanford CEE 2010 thread :P

Good idea... I am an international applicant also... but I will live near Berkeley :P so I will have the fun and joy to commute to Stanford every day :S... But it is better than living in San Diego and traveling to SF the weekends.

@s1u8n, we need to start a Stanford CEE 2010 thread :P

Fellow Stanford grad to be's, please send me a message with your Stanford email address, and email of those that you've met during visitation day. we'll talk about TA, RA, academics, housing, good food and how life is wonderful in the bay area.

On a serious side, my professor said some of the grad classes are just straight up hard, and it takes group effort to struggle through it(well, at least for me, I expect to see tons of smart people at Stan).

I accepted my offer from Purdue for MS in Civil Engg (Structures).

Others who have made their decisions plz do share.  It will be nice to know where everyone is headed.

Edited by anya11

Hi everyone !!

Congratulations ..

I am an international student. I got admitted to the MS in TTP at UC Davis (transportation engg). I haven't heard yet about the funding but chances are pretty slim. Anyways I am going to Davis and will try my luck for RA/TA positions in later quarters if not in this one :) !! Anyone going to UC Davis?

btw do you have any ideas about available job opportunities for transportation grads?

congrats again !!

Hi everyone !!

Congratulations ..

I am an international student. I got admitted to the MS in TTP at UC Davis (transportation engg). I haven't heard yet about the funding but chances are pretty slim. Anyways I am going to Davis and will try my luck for RA/TA positions in later quarters if not in this one :) !! Anyone going to UC Davis?

btw do you have any ideas about available job opportunities for transportation grads?

congrats again !!

Congratz! Davis is a very nice college town. I interned at CalTrans(California Department of Transportation) for awhile, they were hiring like mad 3 years ago, at one time, they hired 20 graduating seniors at once from my school, and they had to go out of state to recruit more. but that was a few years ago lol. Now they're on a hiring freeze, they fired all the students, I don't see things get any better til at least summer of 2011. you can try looking for a consulting job, but if you're a transpo guy, CalTran is the dream job, high pay, good benefits, little work, in fact, the senior engineers only work half day and get paid in 6 digits, lol!!

Hello. Is it too late to apply to UC Davis for Masters in Structural Engineering; their deadline is May 31, 2010. I don't want to waste the $70.00 application fee if they have no more slots. Could I get in with a 3.4 overall and Q:730 V:530 W: 3.5. I have a bachelors in mathematics. Please advise.

P.S.: I would have applied earlier but just find out that I am waitlisted at my primary school of choice.

Thanks

Hello. Is it too late to apply to UC Davis for Masters in Structural Engineering; their deadline is May 31, 2010. I don't want to waste the $70.00 application fee if they have no more slots. Could I get in with a 3.4 overall and Q:730 V:530 W: 3.5. I have a bachelors in mathematics. Please advise.

P.S.: I would have applied earlier but just find out that I am waitlisted at my primary school of choice.

Thanks

Why don't you contact them to ask if it's possible ? Some universities accept applicants after the deadline, just ask them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys im in a bit of dilemma here...im appyin for Transporation Engineering and my admits are UIUC, Cornell, Pennstate, North Carolina SU and Carnegie Mellon (AIS)....if any1 who has an idea bout da trans program at these places or just general views on these schools with regards to which is da best bet pls do post it...

Hey guys im in a bit of dilemma here...im appyin for Transporation Engineering and my admits are UIUC, Cornell, Pennstate, North Carolina SU and Carnegie Mellon (AIS)....if any1 who has an idea bout da trans program at these places or just general views on these schools with regards to which is da best bet pls do post it...

Could you give more information, like :

- what type of degree are you looking for ?

- do you have funding for some and not for others ? is it important ?

- are you an international student, or are you looking for an international career ?

- do you have contacts in some place and not in others ?

Just like this, I would say Cornell (in overall rankings), but that's a difficult choice and I don't know what you're interested in.

Could you give more information, like :

- what type of degree are you looking for ?

- do you have funding for some and not for others ? is it important ?

- are you an international student, or are you looking for an international career ?

- do you have contacts in some place and not in others ?

Just like this, I would say Cornell (in overall rankings), but that's a difficult choice and I don't know what you're interested in.

Hey Moghi thx for replyin...I am applying for MS in Civil Engineering with specialization in Transportation Engg........an international student ...no funding frm any of da schools...no contacts ....my primary concentration is in pavement design and plan to take courses in trans systems too...ranking wise UIUC ranks 2nd for civil engg but then again thers da tag of an ivy attached to cornell but a week core trans program.....pennstate n cmu r good schools too n ncsu has a wide range of course offerings...not looking for a longterm intl career and with emphasis on returnin bak with fews yrs of exp...jus tryin to fig out which da school with da perfect bal of course content, brand name and location

Hey Moghi thx for replyin...I am applying for MS in Civil Engineering with specialization in Transportation Engg........an international student ...no funding frm any of da schools...no contacts ....my primary concentration is in pavement design and plan to take courses in trans systems too...ranking wise UIUC ranks 2nd for civil engg but then again thers da tag of an ivy attached to cornell but a week core trans program.....pennstate n cmu r good schools too n ncsu has a wide range of course offerings...not looking for a longterm intl career and with emphasis on returnin bak with fews yrs of exp...jus tryin to fig out which da school with da perfect bal of course content, brand name and location

Well, in term of reputation, I think Cornell is the best ranked. However there is little difference between those universities and your choice should also be made, at this point, on course contents.

I can't give you any more advice since I don't really know well the transportaton program in each university.

Perhaps you had a better feeling in one place and it could help you make your mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone here go on an admitted student visit to MIT CEE?

If so did you get your reimbursement yet?

I haven't and I have not been able to get in touch with the woman there. Is anyone else having this problem?

• 3 weeks later...

NCSU appears to be doing research in pavement design.

What are some good engineering schools for earthquake engineering in California?

Thanks

you can look up in the CUREE webpage also... http://www.curee.org/organization/members/index.html

there is a complete list of associate universities.

The best schools for EE would be UC Berkeley, Stanford, UC San Diego, UCLA, USC, UC Davis, CalTech...

What kind of graduate degree are you looking for?

• 9 months later...

@s1u8n

I was also admitted for Stanford CEM last year and waiting for funding decision now, can you ask when they will announce the decisions. I was also told that I would be informed as soon as they made the decision. and also ı still did not hear another Stanford MS CEM admission, are you one of 'em.

@timebarrier

I also think that it will worth the costs once you get into Stanford

Hey i have applied for MS CEM course on 2nd of Nov 2010. Applying for fall 2011. Still havent heard anything from them! what is da frikkin problem?

Edited by coffee_keeps_me_awake

I also have been admitted to Stanford, but for the Structural Engineering & Geomechanics program. I too have not yet heard any funding decisions. I was told in the letter that I would be notified by the end of March, then emailed that they would be making the decisions the week after spring break, and still nothing. I have sent professors emails concerning funding, and so I assume I will hear back either way. What is the deal?

1. When did you get notified?

2. How did you get notified?

3. Did you get any aid?

4. Did u get unofficial or official mail?

5.STANFORD ROCKS! I WANT IN!!! AAARGH!