Medicore Score for GRE and grades

Hello everyone, 

I am currently trying to take some CSD courses in order to meet the prereqs to get into graduate school. I'd like to get some of you guys' opinion, should I retake my GRE? I've taken it twice now and it seems not make much of a difference. I'm not great at test taking especially when it is timed. My GRE scores are a few points shy from 150 and for the writing score it is a 2.5. I know this is significantly lower than many of the scores I have seen on other threads. What do you all suggest? I would like to avoid taking it again just because it's so expensive and I don't have the money for that and paying for applications too. I am currently trying to find more volunteer opportunities in order to build my resume. I am trying to volunteer for students with special needs for the next semester. I volunteer at adult service sometimes and I also volunteer at churches. I'm contemplating on whether or not if I should try and apply this application cycle for the third time or focus on my courses and building experience before applying again. I appreciate you all's opinion and suggestions! 

Good luck on applications this term! :) 

Hello. :)

I would aim to have a verbal and writing score of at least 50th percentile. I know programs who do not care about the Quant. as much as the verbal. To be honest, a 2.5 writing score is going to be a red flag for any program because SLP is a communication based field -- which you already know. So, the two things you definitely have to score well on would be the verbal and writing. I would take it again. Magoosh can help. The first time I took it without much prep but LOADS of nervousness, I scored a few points from 150 as well. Took it the second time, and scored over the 60th percentile in verbal with Magoosh. Took it the third time just to see if I could boost either my verbal or writing score, and surprisingly my writing score went up from the 60th percentile to 82nd percentile. The day before my third attempt , I watched a BRIEF video with a  tutor explaining two simple formats to help when writing the essays, and that is what I used even though it felt "calculated." I know this test is a pain money and stress wise. I almost took it a fourth time. However, give it another go before you apply with a writing score below 4.0  Most schools look for 4.0 and above. I've heard 3.5 as well. Anything below has their spidey senses tingling if you cannot offset it with something quantifiable like a high GPA. If I had to choose creating a portfolio in undergrad and presenting it in front of the committee like a PhD candidate, then I would pick that over this test. All the best, dear.

Edited by Blue J

@Blue J Thank you! I appreciate your honesty and your recommendations. I'm definitely going to look into Magoosh to help me improve on my GRE scores. I guess I'll wait this application cycle and try to bring up my scores and get some awesome LOR as well. I was starting to feel discouraged because every application cycle when I come onto this thread I see people with such high scores and it makes me wonder if I can do it. However, I will continue to try and strive for the best that I can do! Thank you so much :)

The only part of your are that I would advise you redoing is the writing section. I scored where you were but got a 4 on the writing. Like you I took it twice then decided to take it a third time and really only raised my scores by a point or too but the most improvement I saw was writing. I would save money!