Fall 2018 Cycle

ahmed.samy

So I got my first acceptance from one of my top 3 choices and am now wondering if it is worth it to apply to my "safety school" that is due January 15th, I haven't paid the money to send out the GRE but sending out the application itself is free. I don't see any reason why I would choose this safety school vs. the school I am accepted to.

26 minutes ago, javajunkie95 said:

So I got my first acceptance from one of my top 3 choices and am now wondering if it is worth it to apply to my "safety school" that is due January 15th, I haven't paid the money to send out the GRE but sending out the application itself is free. I don't see any reason why I would choose this safety school vs. the school I am accepted to.

If you have no other alternative offer then I would apply. When you visit the place you have an offer from you might hate it! I think it's always nice to have a choice, particularly if it costs nothing/very little to send off your application to the safety school :)

On 11/19/2017 at 3:31 PM, raul.carmo said:

Undergrad Institution: Federal University of Viçosa (Brazil) - 2015

Master's Institution: Federal University of Minas Gerais (Brazil) - 2017
Major(s): Chemistry
Minor(s): -
GPA in Major: 3.4
Overall GPA: 3.0

Master's GPA: 3.7
Position in Class: -
Type of Student: International

TOEFL IBT: 113/120

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 154 (55%)
V: 160 (86%)
W: 3.0 (18%)
S: To be reported

Research Experience: 3 years of undergraduate research + 2 years of research as MSc.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

-Science Without Borders Scholarship (1 year in the US sponsorship)

-ACS BOOST (1 week in Panama City to receive training on scientific writing and ethics, awarded by the american chemical society)

-Undergraduate research grant (awarded 2 times, within institution)

-Sybilla Merian Scholarship (University of Groningen)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

-1 year as Biochemistry TA. 

-6 months at a Food/Microbiology startup as product development intern.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Prepared and ministered a practical course about soap production using recycled vegetable oil for low-income families in Viçosa-Brazil.

-Research Assistantship for the Master's (2years)

Special Bonus Points: 

- 2 posters presented on brazilian scientific meetings

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where: (All in the field of Organometallic Catalysis and Synthetic Methodologies)

New York University

The University of Iowa

University of Illinois - Chicago

Pittsburgh University

Georgia Institute of Technology

University of South Carolina

University of Pennsylvania

University of Southern California

Oregon State University

Iowa State University

University of Utah

Michigan State University

Princeton University (who knows? haha)

(all programs are within the Chemistry Department of the respective institutions)

I applied to (all Chemistry PhD):

-Univ. of Illinois in Chicago

-Univ. of Utah

-Univ. of Toledo

-Georgia Tech

-Oregon State Univ.

-Univ. of Southern California in Dornsife

-Univ. of South Carolina

-University of Pittsburgh

Thinking about adding 3-4 lower ranked institutions to the list just to be safe.

Anyone applying to these unis with me?

Undergrad Institution: Foreign, in NZ
Major(s): Molecular Pharmacology and Medicinal chemistry 
Minor(s):none
GPA in Major: we don't have these
Overall GPA: 3.8
Position in Class: we don't have this either, but i got a prize for being top in 300 level. 
Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?) International, female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 162 (81st)
V: 159 (83rd)
W: 4 (93rd)
S: cant sit in NZ

Research Experience: 
3 summers, plus one year

will have done a further 6 months as a research assistant by the time i get there 

Scholarships for summer research, graduate award for top students going into 4th year, top of 300 level biochemistry, deans list for 3 years 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, etc...)
tutor for 3 years for 1st year chemistry

also tutored high school kids but that was private not through uni

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: 

Applying to Where:

Cornell

University of pennsylvania

Vanderbilt

Scripps

Dartmouth

University of washington

Northwestern 

I feel like i should have applied to more universities as I'm not convinced of my chances.. however i think i missed the deadline on applying to more... are any good programs still open? 

56 minutes ago, gg.rose said:

Undergrad Institution: Foreign, in NZ
Major(s): Molecular Pharmacology and Medicinal chemistry 
Minor(s):none
GPA in Major: we don't have these
Overall GPA: 3.8
Position in Class: we don't have this either, but i got a prize for being top in 300 level. 
Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?) International, female

Q: 162 (81st)
V: 159 (83rd)
W: 4 (93rd)
S: cant sit in NZ

Research Experience: 
3 summers, plus one year

will have done a further 6 months as a research assistant by the time i get there 

Scholarships for summer research, graduate award for top students going into 4th year, top of 300 level biochemistry, deans list for 3 years 

tutor for 3 years for 1st year chemistry

also tutored high school kids but that was private not through uni

Special Bonus Points: 

Applying to Where:

Cornell

University of pennsylvania

Vanderbilt

Scripps

Dartmouth

University of washington

Northwestern 

I feel like i should have applied to more universities as I'm not convinced of my chances.. however i think i missed the deadline on applying to more... are any good programs still open? 

Your application is weird, the subject test was set in NZ earlier this year - I had to fly to NZ from Sydney to take it. Also, a 4.0 in writing isn't 93% - I'm assuming you got a 5.0? Otherwise, your application seems decent for the schools you're applying to. Obviously, Northwestern and Scripps are your reach schools and Vanderbilt and Darthmouth are probably the safeties. I think you have a decent shot at Cornell, Penn, and Washington (but acceptances for UW have been out for some?).

3 hours ago, gg.rose said:

Oh really? Because i looked into taking it here and couldn't find it anywhere, i found it in Australia but couldn't afford the cost of going there to sit it! Oops yes i did mean 5!

Yeah, chemistry was available in Christchurch in April (and I think Auckland too).

On 12/25/2017 at 2:31 AM, gg.rose said:

I'm also looking for programs with open applications :(

3 hours ago, raul.carmo said:

I'm also looking for programs with open applications :(

Dartmouth is open till the 10th of jan! and vanderbilt to the 1st! 

I think emory is still open too, although i haven't applied for that one

Edited by gg.rose

I am applying for PhD at West Virginia University (Forensic Science), University of Central Florida (Chemistry with focus on Forensic Science), University of Florida (Chemistry), Florida International University (Chemistry with focus in Forensic Science), University at Albany (Chemistry with focus in Forensic Science).

2 years research experience, 3.5 years work experience in forensic science, 3.98 master's gpa, 155/141/4.0 (v/q/a). 

I am worried about my quantitative being so low. Do you think that will count against me?

Just applied to Emory, SUNY Buffalo, Dartmouth and Case Western (besides the programs applied earlier this month).

I wish I could sleep until all the decisions were made cause waiting for them is by far the worst part of the process :D

On 12/28/2017 at 4:26 AM, forensic_chemist said:

I am applying for PhD at West Virginia University (Forensic Science), University of Central Florida (Chemistry with focus on Forensic Science), University of Florida (Chemistry), Florida International University (Chemistry with focus in Forensic Science), University at Albany (Chemistry with focus in Forensic Science).

2 years research experience, 3.5 years work experience in forensic science, 3.98 master's gpa, 155/141/4.0 (v/q/a). 

I am worried about my quantitative being so low. Do you think that will count against me?

Yeah, a Q score that low is a big red flag - it's definitely hard to see that as simply a "bad day". If it were like, 155, it might be brushed off as such.

On 12/27/2017 at 5:26 PM, forensic_chemist said:

I wouldn't worry about it, there isn't anything you can do now! Remember that applications are looked at holistically and you seem to have a ton of research experience (arguably the most important part of the application).. while I'd say GRE is the least important part of the application.

I’m a little late to the forum, oh well  

i think my main issue is that I’m worried I’ve reached too high in terms of schools and that I’m going to have screwed my self over. I really specifically want to do green-inorganic chemistry I know for a fact so I’m hoping that me already knowing want I want to do and being very specific with it will help me? Who knows, but any thoughts are appreciated!

Undergrad Institution: Small Regional Public School

Major: Chemistry 

Minor(s): Liberal Arts
GPA in Major: 3.2
Overall GPA: 3.4
Type of Student: Domestic, Male
GRE Scores (revised)
Q: 165(94)
V: 156(62)
W: 4.5(82)
S: N/A

Research Experience: 
I’ve done research since spring semester when I was a freshman  I worked in a pchem materials group for a year and helped to design some lab experiments on environmental and green Chem. Then I switched groups to do organic synthesis, designed some curriculum around green chemistry as well and now do medicinal synthesis. I also have done two summer internships (one in a food science QC/product development lab, one in solid state chemistry R&D)

I’ve done lab and reagent prep along with lab and instrument trouble shooting for the department as a job for 3 years and now I’ve started doing SI/tutoring/Coteaching a chemistry class for health professions majors this year  

I’ve been really active at my school in general. Had a lot of ambassador positions and sat on some committees(part of the reason for my lower GPA in retrospect but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

I’ve led our student ACS Chapter for 2 years and been an officer for 3. 

I’ve done a lot of student outreach specifically for STEM/Chem and have set up and designed some demos and events on my own. 
Special Bonus Points: 
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i should have really good letters all around. All three profs know me really well and like me and have worked with me closely. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (can you guess my favorite emoticon?)

My GPA is loser than most but it has a very solid  upward trend so maybe that will help me out some. 

Applying to Where:

-Uni of KY

-Uni Of Oregon

-Oregon State

-Notre Dame

-Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

-Brown University (my number 1, I’m in love with a lot of the schools aspects and there’s a professor there whose work I think is some of the coolest chemistry I’ve been exposed to) 

- Uni of Minnesota 

-Colorado State

-Michigan State

-Arizona State

-Uni of Washington 

Undergrad Institution: Top 20 small liberal arts college 
Major(s): chemistry  
Minor(s): -
GPA in Major: 3.98
Overall GPA: 3.91
Position in Class: -
Type of Student: domestic, female, Asian American 

Q: 157
V: 163
W: 5
S: didn't take it 

Research Experience: spent 1st year in college doing course-based research in environmental toxicology, one summer and semester in a biomedical engineering lab and 2 years in an organic lab on a project that is my senior thesis. Attended a summer REU program at UNC Chapel Hill. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list all 3 years of college, Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship, NSF REU 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

Tutored since my sophomore year, intro bio, intro chem, orgo I and orgo II. This was a 10 hr weekly commitment. 

Tutor for underrepresented science scholars - 2 years 

Mentor to 5 first year science students- 2 years. I met with each student for an hour every week.

Orientation leader and mentor to 10 first year students

Mentored 2 first years in my organic lab and taught them everything they know about organic research (until they take orgo next semester, so exciting!) 

Special Bonus Points: I am dedicated to increasing representation of minorities in STEM. 

I am also certain my letters of rec from research advisors were really strong. Yay for small colleges! 

Schools I applied to: showed interest in chemical biology 

UC Berkeley (accepted) 

U Wisconsin (accepted) 

UNC Chapel Hill 

MIT

Final thoughts: I didn't have any publications or many awards. My GRE score isn't amazing and I didn't even take the chemistry GRE. My dedication to tutoring and mentoring coupled with strong letters, GPA, and research experiences are what I believe made me a strong applicant. Oh, and being domestic doesn't hurt. 

3 hours ago, lostkey96 said:

Oh, and being domestic doesn't hurt

I've heard that the chances of acceptance are lower for international students for several reasons. Are there any chemistry PhD programs in the US known for high international acceptance rates? I've been told that two of the institutions I applied to almost never admit international students and now I am worried about not having applied to the right programs.

I was a late applicant, most of my applications were completed by Dec. 22 because ETS takes forever to make the results of the Chem GRE available, even though it is a multiple choice exam. Anyone else in this situation? I fell like I am only going to hear from the programs I've applied to by March and this is killing me :D