Fall 2018 French

frenchlover

17 minutes ago, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

Guys do you know if there's any difference funding-wise between public schools and private schools (when you're out of state)? I would think no since most schools offer tuition remission but I wonder. Just thinking cause I realized I'm a "non-resident" for UNC (completely forgot it was a public school lol).

My understanding is that there's not really a difference, at least not one that I've heard of from the grad students I've talked to at my undergrad University, which is public. From what I've heard it seems that there's sort of a standard fellowship that is offered, and it doesn't really differ between in-state students and out-of-state students.

@Carly Rae Jepsen When I was researching schools, particularly public schools like UCSB, many departments seemed to require that people become, say, California residents so that they were "priced" in-state for their tuition. I'd imagine that UNC would require you to become a NC resident by the second year.

And yes, le silence. Ahh.

Edited by frenchlover

8 minutes ago, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

Ah, that makes sense, thank you.

I remember being worried about all this back when that horrendous tax plan that counted remitted tuition as income was about to be passed. Luckily we grad students dodged that bullet.

For now.  Unfortunately, the current administration is still in power.  

8 hours ago, frenchlover said:

@Carly Rae Jepsen When I was researching schools, particularly public schools like UCSB, many departments seemed to require that people become, say, California residents so that they were "priced" in-state for their tuition. I'd imagine that UNC would require you to become a NC resident by the second year.

And yes, le silence. Ahh.

Nail on the head, this is what Cal is doing. And they typically do everything in your power to help you get in-state! 

On 05/01/2018 at 2:34 AM, frenchlover said:

I sent only a few emails, but just to kind of get a better sense of the departments where it was unclear. I did this a while back, though, and was advised that it's most appropriate before applying. Talking to grad students helped me a lot more; for instance, I heard some AWFUL things about NYU so I decided not to apply. 

Yeah, I saw the MAPH thing too. This person my from my college went there for a year. Seems like a cash-cow program to me, for the most part, from what she said. @frenchlover

I've just applied to the NYU master program and am interested to hear the negative side. I haven't been able to find much information anywhere by students who have actually done the program! Would you mind pm-ing me? I'd like to get a well rounded opinion in the merits or mroe specifcally demerits of the program! Currently doing the TAPIF program this year and trying to plan my next step.

Edited by Michael Scarn

13 hours ago, frenchlover said:

Rien. Existé.

Exited? I’m sorry if that’s the case—the season isn’t over yet! We’re all your schools supposed to respond by now?

7 hours ago, frenchlover said:

Haha, no. I was just citing Sartre, comme il faut. I wish I had all of my decisions. Thankfully school is keeping me somewhat busy!

Nice. I read a similar (read: weird, new) usage of exister in Le Deuxième Sexe, could have thought of the dude.