Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

41 minutes ago, coffeentv said:

I'm sorry. I'm expecting a rejection as well :/

It's not over until it's over! Have you heard from Albany re: funding? Fingers crossed you have a few more schools to hear from! 

1 hour ago, Baffle said:

I can claim it. I just received in email from the chair of the graduate committee saying I've been recommended for admission. Official letter hasn't come yet.

Congrats. For those still awaiting results from NYU, they have historically sent out both acceptances and waitlists over the course of 3 or 4 days. There's no sense in getting too bummed until mid-next week if your inbox is empty.

Save those despair muscles until it's really over ;)

I didn’t get into Brown. My PhD dreams are over. Sad to say, unless Emory has a rejection and I’m off the waitlist. Thanks for the support this year friends - it’s been fun to talk through this with you. 

2 hours ago, Socioeconnut said:

It's not over until it's over! Have you heard from Albany re: funding? Fingers crossed you have a few more schools to hear from! 

Thank you! I hope you hear some good news soon as well. I guess I'm rejected from NYU. When I spoke with someone in the department at Albany, I was told that there's a good chance I'd get off the waitlist for funding. They wanted to know if I'm really interested in attending.

3 minutes ago, abenz said:

I didn’t get into Brown. My PhD dreams are over. Sad to say, unless Emory has a rejection and I’m off the waitlist. Thanks for the support this year friends - it’s been fun to talk through this with you. 

I'm sorry. I'm hoping you get off the waitlist at Emory.

Since I have no hope for acceptance from Yale, UPenn, and Princeton, I just called Temple. The nice secretary told me that my file is under review and to call back if I don't hear from them by the end of the month. Commute to Philly from NYC is better than commute to Albany from NYC.....

1 hour ago, Baffle said:

I can claim it. I just received in email from the chair of the graduate committee saying I've been recommended for admission. Official letter hasn't come yet.

What's your research area? Any chance you're interested in working with Baldassarri?

48 minutes ago, proctorvt said:

Congrats. For those still awaiting results from NYU, they have historically sent out both acceptances and waitlists over the course of 3 or 4 days. There's no sense in getting too bummed until mid-next week if your inbox is empty.

Save those despair muscles until it's really over ;)

It's optimistic tho. There are 4 results on the board, so I'm guessing other 5 people were also admitted and haven't posted anything. But hang in there people. 

checked portal to see rejection from Yale. thought this was my best shot because I currently have a job as a clinical researcher at Yale. assuming rejections from everywhere at this point so the whole PhD thing isn't going to happen for me...team 0 acceptances LOL 

Congrats @WinterIcedLatte @wildflower21, @runningincircles, and @Baffle on your acceptances!!! Since my cycle is over, I'm going to go into lurker mode. Thank you so much to everyone on this forum for supporting each other - I've appreciated this little haven more than you know. If I can help in any way, even by just listening, please shoot me a pm.

39 minutes ago, Law&Soc88 said:

It's optimistic tho. There are 4 results on the board, so I'm guessing other 5 people were also admitted and haven't posted anything. But hang in there people. 

Oh, I'm not holding out hope. I'm a little surprised I got rejected outright given my results elsewhere, but you never know how these things will shake out. Best of luck to everyone. I'm headed to political science, it seems. I'll see some of you on the conference circuit, perhaps, should you be in the realm of historical sociology etc.

My first official rejection came from Yale (I'm waiting for official rejections from Columbia, NYU, and CUNY). I appreciate that Yale notified us early. It looks like so many people on the result board have amazing GRE scores. I'm losing hope, but want at least one acceptance with funding...

1 hour ago, coffeentv said:

Thank you! I hope you hear some good news soon as well. I guess I'm rejected from NYU. When I spoke with someone in the department at Albany, I was told that there's a good chance I'd get off the waitlist for funding. They wanted to know if I'm really interested in attending.

Thank you! That is great news about Albany, I know funding can be the difference of attending or not so that is really promising :) 

I doubt I will get in anywhere else, Columbia is the school where I invested the most time, effort and actually forged relationships over the past year. They offered me the terminal MA but it would be my second and my POI and multiple other faculty members told me the curriculum would be redundant and the tuition a waste (not to mention the cost of childcare in order to even take on a FT course load). I will wait to hear back from the other programs but this may be the end of my PhD journey without any type of institutional or financial backing. Academia will be another one of those avenues I would have pursued if I could afford it ?

25 minutes ago, proctorvt said:

Oh, I'm not holding out hope. I'm a little surprised I got rejected outright given my results elsewhere, but you never know how these things will shake out. Best of luck to everyone. I'm headed to political science, it seems. I'll see some of you on the conference circuit, perhaps, should you be in the realm of historical sociology etc.

@proctorvt I have felt like I've been in this with you-- still rooting for you. I just got in to NYU! Apparently they didn't send the emails all at once. The email said they "anticipate" the cohort will be 9 students, so I would imagine they have/will accept more than 9 if they expect that will be their yield. 

Edited by earlgrey99

20 minutes ago, earlgrey99 said:

@proctorvt I have felt like I've been in this with you-- still rooting for you. I just got in to NYU! Apparently they didn't send the emails all at once. The email said they "anticipate" the cohort will be 9 students, so I would imagine they have/will accept more than 9 if they expect that will be their yield. 

Congrats! Looks like you brought in quite a nice haul this admissions season. You have quite a decision ahead! As they say, these are good problems to have. 

You are correct that they will accept more than they can admit. A friend of mine bears the unlucky distinction of having been invited to NYU's visitation event but not being offered a slot afterward. That was a rare year when nearly all those ranked above him accepted their offers -- but that was an anomaly. He's currently at Hopkins and quite happy. Silver linings!

As for me, I have world-class letters, (perhaps too much?) documented success in various graduate school settings, well-defined research interests, BUT I have little-to-no track record in an actual sociology program. All things considered, it's not easy to crack the top-10 with that being the case. That's just the way things go, I'm afraid. Not surprising, then, that my success came in poli sci programs.

Let us know what you ultimately decide. Best wishes.

1 hour ago, Socioeconnut said:

I doubt I will get in anywhere else, Columbia is the school where I invested the most time, effort and actually forged relationships over the past year. They offered me the terminal MA but it would be my second and my POI and multiple other faculty members told me the curriculum would be redundant and the tuition a waste (not to mention the cost of childcare in order to even take on a FT course load). I will wait to hear back from the other programs but this may be the end of my PhD journey without any type of institutional or financial backing. Academia will be another one of those avenues I would have pursued if I could afford it ?

Hi @Socioeconnut, I'm truly sorry to hear about Columbia. Since you mentioned getting a fellowship before, I've known people who got doctoral fellowships but were not accepted to programs during the same year. They were able to defer the fellowship for a year and apply again; having it on their CV definitely helped during the next application cycle. Just mentioning it since it seems like your profile for next year is already stronger than this year's.

43 minutes ago, qeta said:

Hi @Socioeconnut, I'm truly sorry to hear about Columbia. Since you mentioned getting a fellowship before, I've known people who got doctoral fellowships but were not accepted to programs during the same year. They were able to defer the fellowship for a year and apply again; having it on their CV definitely helped during the next application cycle. Just mentioning it since it seems like your profile for next year is already stronger than this year's.

Thank you @qeta , that means a lot, especially since you had a similar experience and made it through to great programs. I wish you so much future success and hope you stop by every now and again with updates so we can root for you in your upcoming endeavors :) 

I think I'm most disappointed by the fact that there was no personal interaction. My professor/POI, the dgs, no one reached out. I seriously thought even with a rejection I would get more than a generic letter from admissions. 

Edited by Socioeconnut

1 hour ago, Socioeconnut said:

Thank you! That is great news about Albany, I know funding can be the difference of attending or not so that is really promising :) 

I don't want to out myself, but I'm kind of affiliated with Columbia. I'm currently enrolled in a master's program at another schools and have taken PhD level classes. I feel your pain. I'm still hoping we'll get into at least one program! There are some universities with childcare centre.

2 hours ago, Socioeconnut said:

I deeply sympathize with your plight. I spent my entire 20's in that position. If you still want to pursue an academic career there are still avenues for you. Consider reaching out to professors at area universities to ask whether you might sit in on some courses. This is not ideal, I know -- I have posted about my travails elsewhere in this thread. Life is long if you're lucky. Don't give up on your dreams simply because the "standard route" has been closed off to you (for now). Keep scratching and clawing. In the meantime, take good care of yourself. And always remember that a career isn't guaranteed to anyone -- not even those on this thread who have been admitted to their dream schools. That goal is still well within your grasp if you want it badly enough.  

Some people's path to an academic career is paved in gold. For the rest of us, we have to fight like hell.

With that being said, academia can be a tough and awful road. Give yourself time to think about your future and be nice to yourself!

Edited by proctorvt

4 hours ago, 2733amh said:

checked portal to see rejection from Yale. thought this was my best shot because I currently have a job as a clinical researcher at Yale. assuming rejections from everywhere at this point so the whole PhD thing isn't going to happen for me...team 0 acceptances LOL 

Count me into the 0 acceptances club too, but like I said in an earlier post, I'm basically at peace with the whole thing because now I have the opportunity to pursue other things I'm passionate about that I wouldn't have been able to do in a PhD program due to time constraints 

Hey everyone,  I've been lurking for weeks and decided to join in. So far, I've gotten into Penn State, Boulder, and Temple.  I've been rejected from Brown and UMN Twin Cities. I've interviewed at Irvine. I'm mainly waiting to hear back from UPenn, Princeton, and UCLA, but I also applied to Arizona, Amherst and Davis and have yet to hear anything. This process is ridiculous. I'm trying to decide between Penn State and Boulder right now, I know the former is a better ranked program but living there sounds like a nightmare. They are courting me pretty hard though, the grad director has called me a few times and she's offered to send my partner's resume around, plus they have sent me all this info about housing and grad life. I haven't talked to anyone at Boulder, just the acceptance and invitation to the recruitment weekend. Anyways, good luck to everyone, I hope you are able to find happiness at the end of all of this.