Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

8 minutes ago, socihk said:

Emailed to a POI at U of Connecticut I personally know. Offers are already out, and I am not one of those admitted.

Sorry to hear that :( It's been a brutal application season!

5 minutes ago, pinoysoc said:

Sorry to hear that :( It's been a brutal application season!

Plus, as the POI said, their school is getting less money so they are admitting very small cohort. I think this is and will be a common problem of a lot of schools within these two to three years. 

18 minutes ago, socihk said:

Plus, as the POI said, their school is getting less money so they are admitting very small cohort. I think this is and will be a common problem of a lot of schools within these two to three years. 

I know what you mean. I think state schools are more prone to getting less funding, but I'm also seeing a trend where even private institutions admit big cohorts in one year, and then admit a smaller ones in the following two to three years. It's kinda frustrating since its a "luck" based process. I'm kinda nervous since my job only last until the end of 2019 : ( 

1 hour ago, socihk said:

Emailed to a POI at U of Connecticut I personally know. Offers are already out, and I am not one of those admitted.

Oh no. I'm sorry. I'm there with you, I guess... 

I'm waiting for official rejections from Princeton, NYU, CUNY, and Uconn now. I hope Temple hasn't sent out all acceptances.

27 minutes ago, coffeentv said:

Oh no. I'm sorry. I'm there with you, I guess... 

I'm waiting for official rejections from Princeton, NYU, CUNY, and Uconn now. I hope Temple hasn't sent out all acceptances.

I guess princeton has already sent all the offers and official rejection will be out this week. The number of admits on board is similar to the size of cohort last year as shown on their website.

My last hope is boston U, but I think my chance getting there is too low.

12 minutes ago, socihk said:

I guess princeton has already sent all the offers and official rejection will be out this week. The number of admits on board is similar to the size of cohort last year as shown on their website.

My last hope is boston U, but I think my chance getting there is too low.

I hope you hear good news from Boston University. I need to decide between Albany and the New School depending on the funding situation. Since my partner is going to finish his PhD in 3-4 years and wants to move back to Europe as soon as possible, this is my first/last attempt at PhD applications.

For those of you preparing for visit days--how are you managing multiple visits?

I'm currently based abroad and am debating whether I should travel to the US twice for two separate visit weekends. I'm absolutely torn over the two schools and would like to attend both, or at the very least, attend 1 and try to visit the other on a non-visit day on the same trip.

PTO aside, my out of pocket expenses would increase by about 500$ by having to visit two schools on a separate occasion, as opposed to combining them together.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited by fanelsoc

After the initial acceptances to few people from University of Washington, Washington State University and University of Arizona, has anybody heard back? I’ve emailed them asking about my application status but no reply yet. Even if it is rejection why aren’t the results out?

1 hour ago, coffeentv said:

I hope you hear good news from Boston University. I need to decide between Albany and the New School depending on the funding situation. Since my partner is going to finish his PhD in 3-4 years and wants to move back to Europe as soon as possible, this is my first/last attempt at PhD applications.

Thanks!

Wish you get well funded offer too!

2 hours ago, tsh05 said:

After the initial acceptances to few people from University of Washington, Washington State University and University of Arizona, has anybody heard back? I’ve emailed them asking about my application status but no reply yet. Even if it is rejection why aren’t the results out?

I think the way it works is that for sure rejections are often sent immediately. While some rejections are sent out after all acceptances are out and you didn't make it to the "waitilist." Some schools like Penn State & Brandeis do it if they know you didn't make their cut. 

This is the sense that I get from what I've seen in the past and experienced. 

On 2/19/2018 at 3:01 PM, FutureGames said:

Also, be sure to check your spam folders everyone, my Davis letter was in there (rejected on the basis of poor fit/not enough faculty to support my specialization).

Dropped by to second this. An important email from one of the grad schools was in there and it was time sensitive. Fortunately, the grad school was understanding, but I was really upset that my email provider marked that email as spam even though the sender has sent me emails before. Check your spam folders!!! Also, it might be a good idea to designate the DGS, grad admin assistant, and other important people's addresses as not spam. 

Hey, everyone! You guys have built such a supportive community here! Kudos to you on that! I have applied to several programs and am similarly awaiting responses. I did notice that UMich has sent some acceptances and rejections (on Feb. 9 and 10), but I've heard nothing yet. I have checked my spam and promotions folders. Is anyone else waiting?

Edited by Milaje_Me

11 hours ago, cicxy said:

No words from UWM yet. I'd rather they tell me directly that I'm rejected.

Although I didn't apply to UWM, I do agree that programs tell me directly that I'm rejected. It's hard waiting to see if we get in or not because all of our life circumstances are SOOOOOO different. 

I told my mom this and she told me to just not base everything on decisions (and I see her point)... however, from what happened this application cycle... I was about to purchase Sam Smith AND Justin Timberlake tickets for their concerts in August and December respectively, I get an e-mail about an acceptance. Don't get me wrong, I'm ELATED and THROUGH THE MOON about it, but sometimes it's very hard to move on with life or look forward to things if life throws a curve ball. Lol. I'm still waiting on Penn State, U Penn, and Vanderbilt. 

15 minutes ago, pinoysoc said:

Although I didn't apply to UWM, I do agree that programs tell me directly that I'm rejected. It's hard waiting to see if we get in or not because all of our life circumstances are SOOOOOO different. 

I told my mom this and she told me to just not base everything on decisions (and I see her point)... however, from what happened this application cycle... I was about to purchase Sam Smith AND Justin Timberlake tickets for their concerts in August and December respectively, I get an e-mail about an acceptance. Don't get me wrong, I'm ELATED and THROUGH THE MOON about it, but sometimes it's very hard to move on with life or look forward to things if life throws a curve ball. Lol. I'm still waiting on Penn State, U Penn, and Vanderbilt. 

Did you get accepted to Alabama? Congratulations! I saw you struggling and stressing out, so I’m really happy for you!

54 minutes ago, pinoysoc said:

I haven't been around in a while -- did you get an acceptance?!?!?

2 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

Congrats! It seems like penn is silent yet. Just emailed UWM cuz waiting and anticipation is KILLING me. Hope they can rely soon (and waiting again).