SIPA (Columbia) Thread

I've learned a lot just going through the process...but I also realized that many applicants had exposure to international relations in some way or another....and basically focused on that in their SOP....I have 0% exposure, and not only graduated with Business degree, but work for major fortune 500 company as analyst...so business, business, business, and they probably saw it as a career change thing, and I didn't present it well.....

But fleetly Thanks!

I've learned a lot just going through the process...but I also realized that many applicants had exposure to international relations in some way or another....and basically focused on that in their SOP....I have 0% exposure, and not only graduated with Business degree, but work for major fortune 500 company as analyst...so business, business, business, and they probably saw it as a career change thing, and I didn't present it well.....

But fleetly Thanks!

It honestly all comes to how you tell your story and how your business degree / current career fits into your overall goal and commitment to IR and public services.

I got accepted with a MSc in business and 3 years exp in investment banking, so trust me, your background is just fine, you just need to think the rest of your app.

It honestly all comes to how you tell your story and how your business degree / current career fits into your overall goal and commitment to IR and public services.

I got accepted with a MSc in business and 3 years exp in investment banking, so trust me, your background is just fine, you just need to think the rest of your app.

Does this transfer for those seeking a Ph.D.s?

But fleetly Thanks!

Hi beekline,

I agree with Nexpresso. I think your background is okay, but you might need to elaborate your application comprehensively: the SOP, LoR, CV, etc.

Good luck for you.

I applied to SIPA for the MPA in Environmental Science and Policy.. I got wait listed back in Early Feb (about 20 days after I applied) and have been waiting for a decision ever since! Any ideas on when it comes out?

I applied to SIPA for the MPA in Environmental Science and Policy.. I got wait listed back in Early Feb (about 20 days after I applied) and have been waiting for a decision ever since! Any ideas on when it comes out?

I think the next few weeks?

I'm on the waitlist for the MIA. All they said was that they begin to review in April... while I'm hoping that means sooner rather than later, I have a feeling it may be after admitted student day. My thinking being that as a number of students may wait until that day to make their decision, SIPA will have a more final idea of their enrollment numbers shortly thereafter, and will then determine how many slots they have available for the waitlist.

Unfortunately, it can take well into the summer.

I'm on the waitlist for the MIA. All they said was that they begin to review in April... while I'm hoping that means sooner rather than later, I have a feeling it may be after admitted student day. My thinking being that as a number of students may wait until that day to make their decision, SIPA will have a more final idea of their enrollment numbers shortly thereafter, and will then determine how many slots they have available for the waitlist. Unfortunately, it can take well into the summer.

Do you have other admissions?

Do you have other admissions?

Nope! Only applied to SIPA, I live and work in NYC so I want to stay here. I also applied on a whim, kind of, and figured I would look to gain some additional experience/coursework if I didn't get in this year. So I'm upbeat about being on the waitlist. Either I get in and go, or I don't get in but know that all I need to do is add a few things to my resume/application to apply there and a few other schools next time. It will also give me the chance to save up and try to pursue some other funding opportunities so I don't have to deal with the full debt load.

Nope! Only applied to SIPA, I live and work in NYC so I want to stay here. I also applied on a whim, kind of, and figured I would look to gain some additional experience/coursework if I didn't get in this year. So I'm upbeat about being on the waitlist. Either I get in and go, or I don't get in but know that all I need to do is add a few things to my resume/application to apply there and a few other schools next time. It will also give me the chance to save up and try to pursue some other funding opportunities so I don't have to deal with the full debt load.

There you go! Keep a positive spirit I say!

Thanks! That's my plan, no reason to be down on the way things look right now.

On a separate note, but somewhat related to this thread: has anyone else been following this story (link below)? This guy obviously had some relationship with SIPA, as the director of Sciences Po in Paris. He was in town for a conference at Columbia which I imagine SIPA was putting on. Nothing on SIPA's website about him. Interesting/potentially scandalous story, it seems.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/04/richard-descoings-dead-autopsy-inconclusive.html

Thanks! That's my plan, no reason to be down on the way things look right now.

On a separate note, but somewhat related to this thread: has anyone else been following this story (link below)? This guy obviously had some relationship with SIPA, as the director of Sciences Po in Paris. He was in town for a conference at Columbia which I imagine SIPA was putting on. Nothing on SIPA's website about him. Interesting/potentially scandalous story, it seems.

http://nymag.com/dai...conclusive.html

Yeah seems salacious if not to say the least! I want to learn more about that joint-PhD program now

What changes oseirus?

the site did some changes that took down your ability to see what you had commented on etc, for a few days, so I don't know if that affected people but that's my theory.