SLP Fall 2014

Does anyone know anything about the following SLP grad programs: CSUEB, UCO, Governors State, Texas State San Marcos, West Texas A & M, & St. Ambrose. I an international applicant. I am wondering things like how hard it is to get into those schools if you have a low GPA, do they prefer their own students. Pretty much anything you know that will help me. Thanks.

I know someone who did their undergraduate at Governor's State.  They liked it there and was accepted there for grad school but chose to go somewhere else.  Governor's State gets a lot of applicants because it offers a part-time grad school option, which is fairly rare.  I've heard that Governor's State does take a lot of applicants who have completed their undergraduate degree at Governor's State.  Also note that you need to have a bachelor's in communication disorders to attend Governor's State - you can't just complete prerequisites.  

Edited by sayjo

I know someone who did their undergraduate at Governor's State.  They liked it there and was accepted there for grad school but chose to go somewhere else.  Governor's State gets a lot of applicants because it offers a part-time grad school option, which is fairly rare.  I've heard that Governor's State does take a lot of applicants who have completed their undergraduate degree at Governor's State.  Also note that you need to have a bachelor's in communication disorders to attend Governor's State - you can't just complete prerequisites.  

Thanks sayjo.  That is very helpful

Sent my final app in today!!! Hurray!!! After I sent in my final essay, I went to have my MacBook Pro rebooted to find out the harddrive is on the brink of crashing. SO relieved it didn't happen during my application process. 

Good luck to everyone finishing them off!! Can't wait for all the reports on acceptances. In 2-3 months, we will all be getting good news!

:D  :D  :D  :D 

Is anyone applying to West Texas A & M University and knows where to send our transcript?  It says where to send the letters of rec and statement of purpose, but i am not sure where to send the transcript.  Thanks

Everything officially sent in and approved! Let the longest 3 months of our lives begin...  :blink:

Good luck everyone! 

First post for this application season - applied to schools last year, but found myself reconsidering the schools I'd chosen mid-way through.

Have readjusted my focus to schools with both bilingual programs and a focus on the medical setting. I find my heart set on Rush, but I would be content at any of the schools I am applying to.

In the midst of my third bachelors through USU (had a double major my first time in undergrad) and I am loving the program. I am glad to both be getting an academic background in the field and verification that I've chosen the right field.

I'm putting the final touches on my applications - and having been on this roller coaster before, I can say the next three months will feel like a lifetime. At least I will have coursework to distract me this time!

My very good friend who's currently taking prereqs at Boulder with me is applying to Rush, too. The program really interests her, and one of our professors last semester is an alumna and had only good things to say about it. It would be wild if you two ended up in the same cohort--small world!

Best of luck, chellin!

Does anyone know anything about the following SLP grad programs: CSUEB, UCO, Fontbonne University, Governors State, Texas State San Marcos, West Texas A & M, & St. Ambrose. I an international applicant. I am wondering things like how hard it is to get into those schools if you have a low GPA, do they prefer their own students. Pretty much anything you know that will help me. Thanks.

Anecdotal only - my husband applied to CSUEB last year. 4.0 in CSD, 3.3 1st BA (came out to a 3.7 in the last 60, i think). He was waitlisted and ultimately rejected. It's a very small program - something like 15 seats.

Anecdotal only - my husband applied to CSUEB last year. 4.0 in CSD, 3.3 1st BA (came out to a 3.7 in the last 60, i think). He was waitlisted and ultimately rejected. It's a very small program - something like 15 seats.

Thanks caterpillar, i heard about the small cohort.  I don't really know why.  

Hey all, good luck on your applications! I hope you hear good news come spring. :) I'll be applying next year. I finished my undergrad a few years ago and will do a post bacc next year, so I'm wondering when you all sent your transcripts in to your schools. I would like to wait until fall semester grades come in next year to send my transcripts in, because my undergrad GPA was not THAT great, and I want to show I'm committed to and can do well in the field by showing good fall grades, but a few schools I'm interested in applying to seem to historically have early January deadlines. It might be cutting it close since my uni doesn't tend to be very prompt finalizing fall grades...

So did a lot of you who are still in school send in transcripts that included this fall semester's grades, or did you go ahead and send in transcripts without them?

Whew, just finished all of my 14 applications! Let the long long wait begin:/ Hoping for the best!!

wow!  I thought I was applying to a lot of schools!  Good job on getting them done!  I am practically done with all of my 12 apps, but just waiting for one of my recommenders letters for 5 of my schools.  But hats off to you!  It's a lot of work but worth it if just one says yes!

Hey all, good luck on your applications! I hope you hear good news come spring. :) I'll be applying next year. I finished my undergrad a few years ago and will do a post bacc next year, so I'm wondering when you all sent your transcripts in to your schools. I would like to wait until fall semester grades come in next year to send my transcripts in, because my undergrad GPA was not THAT great, and I want to show I'm committed to and can do well in the field by showing good fall grades, but a few schools I'm interested in applying to seem to historically have early January deadlines. It might be cutting it close since my uni doesn't tend to be very prompt finalizing fall grades...

So did a lot of you who are still in school send in transcripts that included this fall semester's grades, or did you go ahead and send in transcripts without them?

Hi MangoSmoothie,

If your schools are using CSDCAS, they have something called "academic update" so that you can submit your application early, but then go back and update your grades once fall grades are posted.  If you are applying to a school directly through the school's website, I would just email the school and ask them.  It's possible that they will also let you send it updated copies of your transcripts after fall grades are posted.  Hope that helps!

Hey everyone! In need of some advice...

I am super concerned about my GRE scores. I took it twice and feel like a third time would have been a waste seeing as standarized tests just never go over well for me.

So the first time I got a 150V 148Q and 4.5AW

The second time I got 154V 145Q and 4AW

As of now, I have only sent the first set of scores because of the terrible Q score and the fact that I went down in writing. Should I send the second anyway? Do I even have a shot with these scores? Luckily I have a 3.93 GPA, tons of experience with individuals with special needs, working with kids and adults, and over 50 observation hours, etc. (I wont bore you with all that I've done). I am applying to only schools in Michigan and some in Ohio..

I really appreciate anyone's response. Good luck to all

Hi there,

I think that you should send both! I'm applying to audiology, but all of the schools I talked to were willing to accept both GRE scores and consider the strongest in each area. Good luck!

Whew, just finished all of my 14 applications! Let the long long wait begin:/ Hoping for the best!!

wow!  I thought I was applying to a lot of schools!  Good job on getting them done!  I am practically done with all of my 12 apps, but just waiting for one of my recommenders letters for 5 of my schools.  But hats off to you!  It's a lot of work but worth it if just one says yes!

Ha Ha, thanks! I was denied last year from all of the schools I applied, so I had to go extreme this year. It was a lot of work getting them all done. Good luck to you:) 

I am super concerned about my GRE scores. I took it twice and feel like a third time would have been a waste seeing as standarized tests just never go over well for me.

As of now, I have only sent the first set of scores because of the terrible Q score and the fact that I went down in writing. Should I send the second anyway? Do I even have a shot with these scores? Luckily I have a 3.93 GPA, tons of experience with individuals with special needs, working with kids and adults, and over 50 observation hours, etc. (I wont bore you with all that I've done). I am applying to only schools in Michigan and some in Ohio..

Hey! I understand your frustration. I'm a horrible test-taker so take my suggestions with a grain of salt . . . I have taken the GRE 4 times over a course of 3 years. I have had tutors, spend tons of money on books, spent many many months studying each time------> my score did NOT change hardly at all. BUT this is me, I wouldn't want to discourage you in anyway, but I do feel that this is one of those test where you know it or you don't ya know. I would focus on things you can control. The GRE has made my self-esteem and self-worth decrease, I have felt soooo dumb ever since. I'm trying to not feel that way, so I'm focusing on things I can change. I wish you luck in your applications!! :) 

Good Luck to everyone applying for admission this year. I hope that you all get in to the programs of your choice!

I will (hopefully) be applying for an SLP program next year. I don't feel very confident of my chances to get into a school (in fact an SLP I worked with/got training from told me that I should probably just give up) but I'm still going to give it my best shot. I am 3 semesters away from finishing my bachelors in human services and right now I have a 3.11 -- I'm trying to raise it to a 3.4 or 3.5 by the time I graduate, which I know isn't very competitive for the SLP programs anyway. I just took the Princeton Review GRE practice test and got 142 (q) and 159 (v). I took the pre-test without any practice or review so I feel like I can boost those scores a bit when I take the real GRE in April. 

I also work full-time as a teacher's assistant at a school for children with special needs (a lot of autism and non verbal students) while going to school full time. Prior to that I worked full time for 2 years at group homes with adults, many of whom had dysphagia issues or were also non-verbal. At both places I worked with SLPs a bit and got some job-related training from them. 

So far I've been taking a pre-cursor look into some schools in the New England area (Southern Connecticut, UCONN, University of Maine, University of New Hampshire, University of Rhode Island, University of Vermont, perhaps Adelphi). 

I would love any feedback from people looking into these schools or some feedback on how likely it is I can get into a school/anything I can do to improve my chances! 

Ashtae220,

I just have to say I think that was really rude of that SL-P to say that to you. If you look around on this forum, you'll see that plenty of people have gotten into school with a lower GPA. I have a similar GPA to yours and made the wait-list at one of the schools here in Canada for audiology, and it is much more competitive than in the US because we have very few spots.  It sounds like you have many other credentials and valuable experience, and that will count for something with the admissions committee! 

Edited by DeafAudi

Ashtae220,

You've got some great experience!  One thing you can definitely do to boost your chances is work on your GRE score.  Your verbal score is really good, but a 142 for quantitative is low.  See if you can take a GRE class or get a book to work through and help you with your quant score.  I was an English major in college (and hadn't taken a math class for 7 years) so I got this book.  I thought it was awesome because it started with very easy math concepts and gradually worked up to more difficult material.

Also, are you taking any prerequisite courses in communication disorders?  Many schools require you to have pre-req work done before your begin their masters program.  Additionally, doing pre-req work will give you a better idea of the field and will help you when writing your personal statement.

Good luck!

Hey, so I think I mentioned this earlier, but does anyone have any idea how many schools you should apply for to be safe for admission? I have pretty good stats (155 quant, 167 verbal, 5.5 AW, 3.9 something last 60 hours GPA, will have post-bacc by the time I enter Master's program, and a lot of experience with people on the autism spectrum), but I just hear all these stories of people with good stats not making it into any schools and it's kind of making me nervous. As things stand now, I'm probably applying for 4 schools, none of which (with the exception of Texas) seem to be too terribly competitive. Thoughts? Is that a safe number, or should I apply to more?

Edited by autismadvocate