Fall 2015 Applicants

Firstly, big yes to that image. Secondly, I know it probably depends on your relationship/level of comfort with the POI, but is this an okay thing to do? How did you word it?

I feel like cenobite gifs really get me. 

Anyway, it is the POI I have talked with most and in the department that has been the most enthusiastic about me. That was all before my applications were due. In my note, I literally was very straight forward - I reiterated my enthusiasm for the program, I explained why I couldn't visit last term when I had been invited (I was very sick), and that I feel strongly about the department/school. 

I mean, I'm a straightforward person. I'm an adult. It is kind of like applying for a job. I didn't want to send BS pretending to be something important, I don't have any big CV updates and I wanted to be honest. I love the program, I am serious about it. I didn't really try any tricks. It could hurt me or it could help me, IDK. 

The appropriateness of reaching out really depends on your rapport with your POI and their personality. In NOWAYNOHOW's case, it sounds like the rapport is such that doing so is probably fine. In most cases I would continue to advise against it, but (in keeping with the above conversation about priorities, personalities, and departmental fit) by the time you're debating whether to reach out, you would hopefully have gotten enough of a feel for the personalities involved that you'll know whether it's the right move or not. 

The appropriateness of reaching out really depends on your rapport with your POI and their personality. In NOWAYNOHOW's case, it sounds like the rapport is such that doing so is probably fine. In most cases I would continue to advise against it, but (in keeping with the above conversation about priorities, personalities, and departmental fit) by the time you're debating whether to reach out, you would hopefully have gotten enough of a feel for the personalities involved that you'll know whether it's the right move or not. 

I second this, but I would add that if it's been a REALLY long time...for example, if there are acceptances from your school on the results board from a month ago and you still haven't heard...then I think you might as well. Just to move on with your life!

I'v been "recommended for acceptance into the Graduate Program in the Department of Anthropology at the University of California, Santa Barbara".  However, I havent been official approved by the Graduate Division yet.  Anyone one have any clue if this is simply a formality?  How often does a department accept someone and than have the bureaucrats kibosh it?

congratulations!!! I am soooo happy for you!!!

no i really think you are in. and it is a formality. What they have to make sure is that you have met all the Grad School reqs. so like...do your GRES GPA ect ect meet the minimum . Thats what i think it is. Thats why they need those official transcripts and GRE right? 

CONGRATULATIONS!!! WOOO HOOOO . I can feel in my hearth the happiness you must be feeling right now. 

I'v been "recommended for acceptance into the Graduate Program in the Department of Anthropology at the University of California, Santa Barbara".  However, I havent been official approved by the Graduate Division yet.  Anyone one have any clue if this is simply a formality?  How often does a department accept someone and than have the bureaucrats kibosh it?

i think, rarely to never. whoohooooooooo!!!

giphy.gif

While letters are always phrased that way, it's hard for me to imagine a scenario where a "recommendation for acceptance" does not translate directly to "acceptance." Both of my acceptance letters said the same thing.

In which case, congratulations!

Hello all! Congrats for the admits & patience and relief for everyone still waiting like me.

I wonder if you think that all of the interviewees for duke cultural anthropology have been informed already. Does anybody have some solid info about this? There was a post on january 20, explaning that their shortlist was ready but not much news on the results page after that.

I mean I applied to 16 schools and heard nothing from any of them so I started feeling quite weird and miserable about all this process and I thought duke was a good fit. =(

brandnewshoes; I was one of the Toronto acceptances (there were two posted). Like smg I was 'recommended' but the email stated who my supervisor was going to be (the POI I wanted thankfully) and that the full admissions package would arrive next week. 

On a different note I too would like to here about Chicago! 

Congratulations - you must be thrilled! Who was your POI, if I might ask? I'm trying to figure out if they've informed all those accepted yet, particularly international students (as I'm one of those dreaded entities). I have repeatedly heard that Toronto has a tough time admitting international students, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Congrats to the Brown admits! Care to share?

A very interesting chat with my boss (tenured at an R1 social science department, intimidating, blunt, brilliant, etc.) just now: a prospective student recently emailed to reiterate their interest in the program. My boss is on the admissions committee and said that despite being a little bit annoyed by the email, that the little nudge turned out to be quite helpful as the committee reviewed the 200+ applications. Now my boss was on the lookout for this student's file. When there are so many stellar applicants for a handful of available slots, just getting your name to the forefront might get your application a closer look than what my boss describes as a "shamefully brief" review of almost all applicants across the board.

I didn't mention that I had just done the very same to a POI. I know it's just one professor's point of view, but figured it was worth a share.  

Congratulations - you must be thrilled! Who was your POI, if I might ask? I'm trying to figure out if they've informed all those accepted yet, particularly international students (as I'm one of those dreaded entities). I have repeatedly heard that Toronto has a tough time admitting international students, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Hiya, brandnewshoes! I am an international applicant (hailing from Illinois) that was just accepted to Toronto's PhD program. The email came directly from the Anthropology Admissions Committee via Wendy Peters. Hopefully that means you'll hear something soon! It really caught me off guard; I wasn't expecting a decision so soon. I read the email probably a dozen times because I couldn't believe it was real (let the imposter syndrome begin...). 

Putting out good thoughts for you and all of the other Anthros here! 

P.S. Greetings to the other Toronto admit(s)!

I am quite pleased! My POI is Michael Lambek, his work is very similar to mine and he's well known so he's a good fit, not sure if I'm totally sold on Toronto though (even if I am Canadian). Ah, you have my sympathies. When I first contacted Lambek I mentioned that I had just finished a Masters at Oxford and he, thinking I was an international, flat-out warned me that there is very little funding for non-Canadians. I hope you're one of the lucky few!

Congratulations to those who have been admitted, best of luck to those who are interviewing and keep your chin up to those who are wait-listed...I was a wait-list candidate and found out I got in pretty late, so you're never out of the game!!

Hiya, brandnewshoes! I am an international applicant (hailing from Illinois) that was just accepted to Toronto's PhD program. The email came directly from the Anthropology Admissions Committee via Wendy Peters. Hopefully that means you'll hear something soon! It really caught me off guard; I wasn't expecting a decision so soon. I read the email probably a dozen times because I couldn't believe it was real (let the imposter syndrome begin...). 

Putting out good thoughts for you and all of the other Anthros here! 

P.S. Greetings to the other Toronto admit(s)!

Hey MissAnthropology! good to see some internationals are getting into Toronto (not just us dull Canadians). If you don't mind me asking, what's your focus/POI? Is Toronto one of your top choices? What do you think of Toronto Anthropology's reputation? (as compared to some of the top UK/US programs)

Hi all,

Claiming one of the Chicago interviews---- I woke up this morning to an email from one of the profs (I hadn't contacted anyone at Chicago beforehand) asking me when I was free in the next day or two for a Skype interview. It wasn't one blanket email, it was personalized. I'm on GMT so I got the email several hours after she sent it. I talked to her today----- apparently they're still working through applications (not all the emails have been sent out). 

Congrats to the Toronto acceptances! Sad to have not heard but I didn't know about int'l funding being bad, so maybe it's for the best.... sigh 

Hello all! Congrats for the admits & patience and relief for everyone still waiting like me.

I wonder if you think that all of the interviewees for duke cultural anthropology have been informed already. Does anybody have some solid info about this? There was a post on january 20, explaning that their shortlist was ready but not much news on the results page after that.

I mean I applied to 16 schools and heard nothing from any of them so I started feeling quite weird and miserable about all this process and I thought duke was a good fit. =(

Is Duke one of the schools that explicitly asks you not to contact their faculty? I can't remember, but I thought that was bizarre.