Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

5 minutes ago, Dilemma1 said:

Alternate :( this really hurts.  Congrats to everyone though who found out good news!

That really, truly sucks. I'm sorry. When the initial hurt and disappointment subside, I hope you'll keep in mind that being an alternate means you are totally Fulbright-worthy. It's probably an issue of matching people to opportunities, but you are Fulbright-caliber. 

1 hour ago, Horb said:

I GOT IT OMG I AM DYING!

1 hour ago, maelia8 said:

Just got notified - I got the research Fulbright to Germany!!!!!! Best possible news to wake up to here on the West coast <3 SO HAPPY!

Congrats to both of you!!!!!!

Non-select for UK Research Open Award :( but the process of doing this application, and monitoring the forum with all of you, was really so much fun!!! Thanks for being part of my life for these short months!

22 minutes ago, mckenna81 said:

That really, truly sucks. I'm sorry. When the initial hurt and disappointment subside, I hope you'll keep in mind that being an alternate means you are totally Fulbright-worthy. It's probably an issue of matching people to opportunities, but you are Fulbright-caliber. 

Thanks Mckenna :) After talking with my mom (and having a good cry) I'm feeling better.  I still have a couple other scholarships to look forward to and I'm grateful that I went through this process again.  The self-discovery and essay writing has been a positive (if sometimes frustrating) process.  At least I can say that I tried again and I can never regret that I tried!

6 minutes ago, patient0 said:

Non-select for UK Research Open Award :( but the process of doing this application, and monitoring the forum with all of you, was really so much fun!!! Thanks for being part of my life for these short months!

I'm so sorry Patient0 :( I'm glad that you've been a part of this community!  If you have the opportunity to try applying again, I highly recommend it :)  You may not get a better result the second time but you'll never know if you don't try.  Best of luck to you!

NS as well. I'm not surprised, esp since I didn't interview and UCL hasn't awarded for anything other than STEM or global policy in the last 10+ years. Plus, my topic may have been too sensitive for the UK: examining how Britain utilized art to create an enemy other in order to distance it's royal lineage from Germany and legitimize its WWI campaign. 

Best of luck to everyone else and CONGRATS to all the awardees!! I'm rooting for all of you :-)

36 minutes ago, Dilemma1 said:

Alternate :( this really hurts.  Congrats to everyone though who found out good news!

It really does. UK alternate here, too. :( But I'm telling myself at least it's not a direct "no," and we still have a chance. Plus to even have made it this far is an amazing accomplishment. *hugs* Congrats to all who got notified, especially you @inkstainedarm! I'm so freaking happy for you!! :) 

congrats to all!!! I need to get off this forum now because all this time refreshing my email has left me with a lot of work to catch up on :) take care, best wishes, and keep your head up no matter what the decision is/was!!

4 minutes ago, patient0 said:

congrats to all!!! I need to get off this forum now because all this time refreshing my email has left me with a lot of work to catch up on :) take care, best wishes, and keep your head up no matter what the decision is/was!!

I wish I had more likes so I could up vote this! 

10 minutes ago, medievalist86 said:

It really does. UK alternate here, too. :( But I'm telling myself at least it's not a direct "no," and we still have a chance. Plus to even have made it this far is an amazing accomplishment. *hugs* Congrats to all who got notified, especially you @inkstainedarm! I'm so freaking happy for you!! :) 

I'm so sorry Medievalist :( I was so hoping you would get principal status!  Yes this is a huge accomplishment (a reminder that I need to keep telling myself). I'll keep my fingers crossed that you will be bumped up!  

@maelia8 @Horb @Herbie I am going to Germany (Berlin) for research as well! First post here - I've been lurking for a while and this seems like such a great community. What are your research/study plans? CONGRATS (and sending good vibes to all those with (A) status!) 

26 minutes ago, jmhawkin24 said:

East-Asia Pacific just faded into the background haha - every other region has been notified

Seriously though! Like I'm seriously so happy for y'all getting notified all around the world and I've lived vicariously through you these past few weeks but COME ON EAST-ASIA PACIFIC! 

4 hours ago, Horb said:

Does anyone know when the award letter we have to sign and upload comes? Is it electronic?

I'm trying to remember how it all worked back then in 2012 ... pretty sure it was all electronic by then. My records indicate a fillable PDF and the necessity to get a signed and scanned bill of health verified by a physician.

@eloise94 Welcome to GC! I'll be using the Geheime Staatarchiv Preußischer Kulturbesitz and the Bundesarchiv primarily, and plan to be in Berlin most of the time (thanks Prussia for centralizing everything in the 19th century!).

@medievalist86 and @McGhee Thank you!! I'm so beyond excited to study at UEA! I just wish more of us had been accepted. @medievalist86 and @Dilemma1, sending you all the good vibes and good fortune and hoping you get bumped up (or, barring that, that you win your other scholarships)! I'm so grateful for how wonderfully supportive all of you on this forum have been, and I hope that if this year isn't your year, next year will be!

Edited by inkstainedarm

Hi all — just got the green light from FB. There was nothing in the email about grant amounts or accepting the award. Do I need to submit the required documents first? That can't be right... Will all be revealed with additional emails in a few hours? Yours, AM 

EDIT: To put it more simply, Do I have to accept the award before I know its terms? I mostly want to know how long I have to make a decision. Thanks, as always, for your help! 

Edited by caeiro