2017 Canadian Application Thread!

On 2017-06-10 at 6:05 PM, Zenkas said:

Math is my weak subject too, I hadn't touched any of the concepts since high school so it was hard to get back into but it came more quickly as time went on. I don't know what the exact average is for SLP but I do know other departments at U of A use the minimum 50th percentile rule, so getting a bit higher than the cutoff scores should make you feel comfortable. I studied for a couple hours a day for about a month leading up to the test. I took notes on the entire Quant section review that the ETS website has up, it covers most of what you'll need to know. I didn't really study much for verbal besides reading novels with difficult language on my kindle and defining all the words I didn't know. There's lots of vocab flashcard apps too. I didn't study much for the writing section but my advice (for all sections!) would be to do practice exams. I ran out of time on one of the essays so I think I should have prepared more for that section. Hope this helps! 

Thanks so much! I bought Magoosh and am reading the ETS official guide, so hopefully that will help. Thank you so much, good luck!

17 hours ago, SLPdreamer1996 said:

Thanks so much! I bought Magoosh and am reading the ETS official guide, so hopefully that will help. Thank you so much, good luck!

No problem! I definitely found the ETS official guide helpful. Best of luck studying and with the test itself! 

• 3 weeks later...

For those who applied to Dal, could you do the program in 2 years. I have a psychology & linguistics background so could I get some courses accredited for? Also, they want the GRE in hardcopy format, how long does it take ETS to send the scores...does it take more than a month? :) thanks!

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎29 at 2:00 PM, SLPdreamer1996 said:

For those who applied to Dal, could you do the program in 2 years. I have a psychology & linguistics background so could I get some courses accredited for? Also, they want the GRE in hardcopy format, how long does it take ETS to send the scores...does it take more than a month? :) thanks!

They don't offer a 2 year program. To the best of my knowledge it's 3 years because they have 0 prerequisites for acceptance - potentially any undergraduate degree can be used (though psych, ling, bio, etc. are clearly more associated). If you're wanting to do the program in 2 years you're better off applying elsewhere!

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎28 at 2:50 AM, SLPHopeful2018 said:

Hello all! I'm a prospective student looking to apply this coming year. I'm wondering what peoples stats (subgpa) were like that got into UofA ? 

I believe mine was 3.75, though I could be mistaken!

• 8 months later...
On 2016-11-03 at 5:47 PM, J Mack said:

Hey all! I am a current student at Western and would be happy to help or answer any questions that you have. I know this whole process is really stressful, so get in touch if you need! :)

hello! I know this thread is from a while ago, but can you share what stats you when you applied ?? thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone :) I have recently been accepted to both Western and Toronto. I'm not too familiar with the strengths and weaknesses, so if there are any students out there willing to help me out in terms of choosing between the two, I would be eternally grateful! I am more interested in working with the children clinical population if that matters and I am coming from a big city!

13 hours ago, SLPdreamer1996 said:

Hello everyone :) I have recently been accepted to both Western and Toronto. I'm not too familiar with the strengths and weaknesses, so if there are any students out there willing to help me out in terms of choosing between the two, I would be eternally grateful! I am more interested in working with the children clinical population if that matters and I am coming from a big city!

Hey theres a Canadian school forum for 2018 where people are discussing this if you want to check out what others have said!

7 hours ago, Anotherhopeful said:

I was just accepted at McMaster. Anyone need a roommate.... ?

Hey you'll probably get better replies on the 2018 SLP Canadian schools forum as it's more up to date

• 10 months later...

Hello! 

I am currently waiting to hear back from Western and Mac, but being a 2019, first-time application I have no idea what is considered a good versus bad GPA. 

My subGPA as calculated by ORPAS is 3.62 (ugh). I have over 200 hours of direct observation and hands-on work, plus approx. 400 hours of work as a TA. I am confident my clinical reference will be great, same with my academic references. 

Based on your acceptance class....what do you guys think my chances of gaining admission are...?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2018 at 12:25 AM, SLPdreamer1996 said:

can you share me your stats pls?

On 3/19/2019 at 6:54 PM, Origami_Princess said:

can you share me your stats pls?

Hi!

Yes for sure! My sub-GPA was around a 3.91 if I remember correctly and my cum-GPA was about 3.85. I received a scholarship in my second year and volunteered and worked in a few labs on campus as a research assistant in unrelated topics (attended McGill). I did a lot of S-LP volunteering, mostly with children with language issues (around 5000 hours or so), less with articulation therapy. Um, also did a bit of aphasia stuff (less than 6 months). I also volunteered (and I'm still volunteering) at a non-profit! I definitely have less experience than my cohort, which was a bit shocking but this year we have a varied cohort in terms of ages and background. But I definitely think my GPA and my letter of intent were my strongest part. I also did the GRE but did awful on it (20th-30th percentiles).

Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to any 2nd year U of A students - I have decided to accept my offer at the U of A for fall 2019 but I am struggling a bit with housing options (I currently live in Vancouver and have never been to Edmonton). I am looking for apartment buildings that are close (i.e. 10-15 minute walk) to campus and/or transit. I'd prefer not to live in residence. If you are planning to leave the place you are renting and loved living there please let me know! I will be looking to move around mid-August. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)