Distractions?

magicsana

I see that some of you have already started receiving admission decisions, but for those of us who are still waiting (in my case, I will find out late Feb to mid-March), what are some ways to distract yourself from the anxiety of checking your inbox 10x a day? What do you do to distract yourself? 

I've been spending a lot of time on YouTube, but MUST CHECK INBOX. It's been so stressful that it's making me physically sick! 

Please share your ideas :)

I have been actively applying for jobs. It is a great way to use all the energy you have right now and gives you a backup plan. Even after I got an acceptance with a TAship, I am still looking a jobs in case I get a really good offer.

I think one of the best things to do at this time is to go to the gym! It is great both for your physical and mental well being. We all know how stressful the waiting process can be. We should not let you physical or mental health suffer in the process!

I'm finding things where I can't access my email. So I've been playing movies on my phone while doing housework, getting really in to cooking, and going for walks. I actually left my phone home while running errands accidentally and it was insanely peaceful.

Cooking, working out, practicing Italian, studying Arabic, checking out more books than I could possibly read at once from the library... Although I really should be applying for either a second part time job or a full time job, as a back-up plan.

Today I did a march, went to lunch with my family, edited a paper for a conference proceedings, went to my bank, and played DnD on a Twitch stream. Tomorrow I'm turning in that paper, working on an article for journal submission, and writing rough drafts of my abstracts for a conference this spring. School also starts Thursday for me, so I'll probably start obsessing about that as well, haha.

netflixing (house of cards, again); cleaning; playing with nieces; working out; sleeping; walking dog; social media; grad cafe. Doesn't stop the incessant string of inbox/status-page/temp-inbox checks, but it does relieve some of the OCDness.

Webcomics? Prague Race (praguerace.com), Mare Internum (marecomic.com, though I quit after it turned too sad), Cassiopeia Quinn (cassiopeiaquinn.com)... too bad that magnum opus, Templar, AZ, was taken down (you can still waybackmachine it though: http://web.archive.org/web/20150214034056/http://templaraz.com/2005/05/26/chapter-1-the-great-outdoors-cover)

Edited by Some violinist

Everytime I feel really anxious I just put on some power jams and go for a run! Highly recommended. Allows you to really think about things or not at all while also getting a good workout in. Planning meals and cooking has also been a good way to focus on other things while improving yourself.