• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Chburdick

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Location
    Portland, OR
  • Application Season
    2017 Fall
  • Program
    English PhD
  1. Waitlist Movement

    I just turned down my offer at the University of Minnesota, if that helps anyone!
  2. Georgetown English MA Funding

    Hi All, I declined my (funded) spot at Georgetown this evening. Hopefully it leads to good news for one of you!
  3. Negotiating offers

    This topic is relevant to me, and I'm not currently in school, so I don't have an advisor to consult... I have two serious offers. School A is top 20ish and more of a "powerhouse," particularly in theory. It is in an extremely expensive part of the country. The offer is competitive, but the stipend is not enough to live on comfortably. It fits in well with my interests, and I had a nice long conversation with my POI that made me think it might be the right place. School B is closer to the top 30 but still has a very good reputation, it is also in a much more affordable (read: colder) part of the country. At School B I received an amazing offer via an university-wide fellowship - summer support, "top-off" fellowship, and a guaranteed TA-ship. I have been encouraged by a professor at School A to submit any other competing offers to the DGS at School A, implying that they would be willing to match other offers. I definitely have leverage because School B is giving me more money and would be a much more affordable place to live. HOWEVER, I haven't visited either place, and want to do so before making a final decision, even though I am leaning towards School A. Should I wait to visit before negotiating? Or should I go ahead and send my other offer to the DGS at School A to see what they can do?? AGHHH this is killing me and I totally realize it is embarrassment of riches.
  4. 2017 Final Decisions

    This is basically my plan as well. Visit, decide what my top choice is, negotiate, then make a final decision once I have final numbers/feelings.
  5. 2017 Final Decisions

    I'd be very curious to hear how to craft a negotiation email as I will more than likely be doing that soon... (don't worry, we are considering different schools so I won't be competing against you ha!)....i just feel sort of bad trying to get people to raise their offer if i might ultimately reject it. Does that make sense? Is it crazy? I do not know how to handle competing offers - I know it is an embarrassment of riches - but I'd love to know what your mentors advised/if anyone else has advice.
  6. Georgetown English MA Funding

    I was offered the Lannan poetics associateship. I have multiple offers other places, including PhD programs, so honestly I'm very confused about what I will do.
  7. Georgetown English MA Funding

    I heard from Patrick O'Malley this morning with my funding offer. Seems like they are rolling out funding offers all week, but wanted to let you all know!
  8. 2017 Acceptances

    I literally was yelling to my partner and parents freaking out because she is a celebrity to me too and they were like....are we supposed to know who that is? haha
  9. 2017 Acceptances

    My main focus is poetics/Romanticism/feminist theory, so I'm chatting with Virginia Jackson. I am going to visit! But they've been oddly silent about details. Spending the weekend in Silverlake afterward, hoping to see a celebrity muaha.
  10. 2017 Acceptances

    I also received an email from my POI at Irvine....can I ask who yours is? We're chatting on Monday and I am insanely nervous about it.
  11. 2017 Acceptances

    Received an email from the school of humanities with an acceptance letter attached that contained Oren's incorrect info. Oren followed up with a phone call on Saturday to give me some details. I missed his call and tried to email him back at the email listed in the letter, but it bounced. I found his correct email and resent my email and told him about the typo....30 minutes later he sent out the note about the typo. Whew! I don't know what's going on over there but I assume he wouldn't send you that note unless you were on some kind of list.
  12. 2017 Acceptances

    I received that email, and I was accepted to Irvine on Friday afternoon. I would be cautiously optimistic if I were you!
  13. 2017 Acceptances

    Are there any other lurkers here who were accepted into Irvine (I received the email on Friday) ?? Did you respond to the email? Do you know if there is going to be a visiting weekend?
  14. 2017 Acceptances

    Hi all, I've been lurking - got accepted into Minnesota yesterday. Status changed to final review last week. Talked to DGS this morning. I was accepted into the 18/19 century subfield so it sounds like that group already made its decisions? Not sure about the others.