Jump to content

diplomaniac

Members
  • Posts

    38
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by diplomaniac

  1. In terms of courses, it's hard to say... I think if you were able to sell your experience well you are competitive. I have a BA in History and a minor in IR so my course requirement aligned with IA. But it just honestly depends on how you sell yourself. Wish I could be of more help, but I think it comes down to the waiting game. Admission method for professional development programs are very holistic so it's hard for anyone (who isn't in the admissions committee) to evaluate your stats. You just have to wait it out, it won't be long until acceptances start rolling. The worst case scenario is you get rejected, then I would recommend reaching out to a prof who teaches at your desired school, ask them out coffee and get feedback on your app.
  2. You have good experience, but I recommend highlighting how your work experience has led you to public policy, and how the skills you’ve earned through experience will make you an excellent candidate for the program.
  3. If you one mind me asking, what kind of your does your friend do internationally for Public Safety?
  4. Personally, I plan on coop and thesis for the increased funding opportunities. However, I could change my mind after first year. According to my colleagues who are attending NPSIA, almost everyone does the coursework option. I think *around* 10 people are doing thesis or MRP. The co-op constructs withthe Feds is the only reason why I’m braving Ottawa rather than staying in BC. Though, cost of living in Ottawa is far more affordable than Vancouver, so I’m not that worried about finances.
  5. NPSIA has a great co-op program and if you land a co-op job with the Feds they pay grad students ~$21 an hour. That will surely subsidize costs. Personally, I would prefer to gain experience in research fellowships/TA-ship, in addition to co-op, to really pad my resume and make connections... should I get into the program.
  6. Admission assessment starts on Feb 15th and the trend in last years form is near the end of Feb to early March are first rounds of admissions. People admitted in the first round are usually exemplary applicants (applicants who have had previous international development experience, stellar grades, etc) and get the best funding packages ... then it trickles from there. Also so there’s the whole Doug Ford issue where he’s cutting down tuition funding to Ontario universities for I suspect funding packages to be absolute crap this year, and fewer will be given out.
  7. I believe as long as you have on reference letter on file, it should be fine. However, it takes up to two days to process the reference letter. It took Carleton one day to process the LOR, and for some reason, time-stamped at 2:00 am. Carleton is aware that their admission process is antiquated... and inconsistent. I had a much more pleasant experience uploading my docs to UOttawa.
  8. Thanks for the advice! I was hoping to take a more emotive route and thank you for your suggestions :). Could you expand on what you mean by "global affairs question"?
  9. Hi! I haven't applied yet, because International Relations is such a broad field, I have no idea what my focus will be on. I simply have an idea of what I want to do, but I want to gain some experience in the field to make sure that it's not just me being idealistic but it's something I want to dedicate myself to as a career. Thank you for your sharing the order of importance! I'll be sure to really focus on my statement especially since StudentGA also gave excellent advice
  10. I'm a little worried about this thread, it seems like everyone's application is solid (A averages with conferences, publication and NGO experience, when and where did you have the time?! that's admirable). But I am not on that boat. I have my eyes set on MUNK because their year 2 flexibility allows me to explore topics on diplomacy and security (especially their geopolitics of cyberspace course!) but I have a B+ average, cumulative and last year. I took an extra year (i'm in my 5th year) because I had undergone family emergency in my 4th year so I had a good amount of mid B grades which brought down my average to a B+. I didn't get any Bs this term, but since they take only the last 10 credits my other better grades from 3rd year (i'm in my 5th year) but since they'll start counting from this year and into my last year where I had terrible grades (they weren't bad, for what I was going through it's pretty good but that's not something grad chairs look into). Therefore, I need to supplement with extra-curricular, but how do I know if what I do is enough? So far I'm presenting at a department colloquium, summer job at a local community centre as an outreach worker, Amnesty international volunteer (office volunteer and campaign volunteer), and now I'm doing an internship abroad in Uganda for 3 months for transnational governance and refugee integration NGO. BUT i feel like I still need some assurance since everyone's application seems too good to be true. Anyone here applied with a B+ and got in? What'd you do?
  11. I'm a little worried about this thread, it seems like everyone's application is solid (A averages with conferences, publication and NGO experience, when and where did you have the time?! that's admirable). But I am not on that boat. I have my eyes set on MUNK because their year 2 flexibility allows me to explore topics on diplomacy and security (especially their geopolitics of cyberspace course!) but I have a B+ average, cumulative and last year. I took an extra year (i'm in my 5th year) because I had undergone family emergency in my 4th year so I had a good amount of mid B grades which brought down my average to a B+. I didn't get any Bs this term, but since they take only the last 10 credits my other better grades from 3rd year (i'm in my 5th year) but since they'll start counting from this year and into my last year where I had terrible grades (they weren't bad, for what I was going through it's pretty good but that's not something grad chairs look into). Therefore, I need to supplement with extra-curricular, but how do I know if what I do is enough? So far I'm presenting at a department colloquium, summer job at a local community centre as an outreach worker, Amnesty international volunteer (office volunteer and campaign volunteer), and now I'm doing an internship abroad in Uganda for 3 months for transnational governance and refugee integration NGO. BUT i feel like I still need some assurance since everyone's application seems too good to be true. Anyone here applied with a B+ and got in? What'd you do?
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use