Visiting School- What to Wear?

Hey Guys!

So I'm going to an open house/welcome weekend for one of my potential schools at the end of this month. I come from a discipline that tends to be more casual in dress (not sure how my new discipline feels about this) and an area of California that also promotes business comfy as the look of choice. I'll be flying in one day, immediately be taken to a happy hour meet and greet, and then will spend the next day in classes, on campus tours, and talking to students/other admittees before flying back out the next day. 

My questions are:
1. What should I wear that will be comfortable for a 10-11-hour plane ride and also appropriate for the meet and greet that night? Keep in mind I'll probably have to do my makeup very quickly during my 1-hour layover. 

2. What would be appropriate for the second day where there will be a lot of walking around and activity, but we still need to look put together?

I plan to bring my snow boots for this trip, since it'll be winter on the east coast, and I figure I can just wear these the entire time (I hate heels and the only flats I currently own are pretty worn down). I bought my snowboots for a conference in Prague a few years back so they're both cute and functional. My issue is compounded by the fact that I've lost weight recently and have lost at least a pant size so far. I'm looking into tailoring my favorite grey slacks now, but I'm not sure how long that will take. I did just pick up a new cute sweater that I think could pair well with pants for a put-together look (just not sure how professional it might come across). I also have a dark blue (with white polka dots) dress that I really like and has done me well in business casual settings, but I'm not sure if pairing it with fleece-lined tights and 2-3 cardigans/blazers/jackets would keep me warm enough. 

I've already been admitted, but I still believe in leaving a good impression. In addition, my stipend will come from a TAship (pretty much wherever I go), and I intend to look at least somewhat professional and competent while doing my job, haha.

@GreenEyedTrombonist Hey, I live in MA and wanted to give you a heads up on the weather. It has been very warm the past two days (in the fifties!) and a lot of rain has fallen; consequently, most of the snow has melted away. With this being said, we could have more snow by the end of the month, so just keep an eye on the weather. 

Good luck with your meeting! 

Edited by costevens

Definitely bring a hat, scarf, and gloves if you'll be outside for a while the second day. Though we had 50s the last couple days, we got several inches of snow overnight and odds are that the end of January will also be pretty cold. One suggestion for comfy yet professional that I like are sweater-ish cardigans. They're warm and you can always slip it on after your plane ride and wear something more comfortable underneath, like a plain blouse.

Thanks @MaeN ! Gloves aren't something I thought of (have warm hats and scarves, but no gloves). I'll only be bringing a carry-on (I can't justify more for a two-day trip and everything that can go wrong with timing, switching planes, and picking up checked luggage is an added stress I don't need) so I'll probably be layering it up on the plane, haha.

Is there any way you could bring your interview clothes in a carry on and just take 10 minutes to change in the bathroom once you land? As for the second day, maybe just a nice sweater, some black pants (or black jeans) and a pair of ankle boots?  Also, if you've been in contact with any current students don't hesitate to ask them if what you're thinking of wearing is appropriate. 

Edited by 01sonal

Are you flying to Boston or Hartford?  I assume someone from UConn is picking you up since Storrs is hard to get to without a car.  Since it's an open house and not a formal interview I wouldn't worry about your dress code, so dress comfy and warm.  New England has traditionally been cold and often covered with some white stuff during late January and early February, so pack accordingly (but with climate change who knows?).   Even if it reaches into the balmy 50s during the day, the temperature could drop ten or more degrees by evening.   Layering is best for this contingency--with the final layer before your outer coat a zippered sweater or fleece for easy removal if you're outside.  Most of all, have fun getting to know your fellow grad students. 

70% of your body heat is lost through the top of your head, your hands, and the bottoms of your feet. Warm socks or tights are a must. Since you're always gonna be cold (being from Cali) I'd suggest that your hat, scarf, and gloves match with your coat so that you look cute even bundled up... because chances are you will be most of the time. Layers will keep your warmer than just one thick/warm thing, and you have more mix/match options that way. If it's going to be terribly cold, I'd suggest a turtleneck (seriously makes a huge difference) and leggings on the plane. You can slip dress pants over leggings (which may help you better fit close that are now too big, as well as add warmth). I'd definitely advise against dresses as a) it can get pretty windy up north in the winter and b ) you don't want to have to watch how you're sitting all the time.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:10 PM, costevens said:

@GreenEyedTrombonist Hey, I live in MA and wanted to give you a heads up on the weather. It has been very warm the past two days (in the fifties!) and a lot of rain has fallen; consequently, most of the snow has melted away. With this being said, we could have more snow by the end of the month, so just keep an eye on the weather.

Yes to this. The weather can change at any time! I live in PA, and it got a lot colder now (in the 30s) and it is supposed to snow all day tomorrow. The warm weather was very short. @GreenEyedTrombonist, I would definitely keep checking the weather and expect that even if it is warm, it can get much colder within a day. The weather has been bouncing back and forth between warm and cold a lot.

Honestly, I would take a few minutes after landing and before exiting the secured area to touch up hair, makeup, change clothes, etc. I also wouldn't be too concerned about makeup as long as you look put together and professional. No one is going to be expecting you to have photograph-ready makeup after a 10 hour trip.

I would definitely try to get the pants tailored if you like them. That's the kind of thing that can usually be done in a week or less.

When in doubt, go with business casual.  Whenever you're interviewing for something, you want to be dressed one step above your interviewer to show them you take it seriously.  Given that we're women, and tend to be taken less seriously than men, go with pantsuit over dress/skirt.  So that means a pair of slacks, your put-together snowboots, a blouse, and a jacket that matches your pants.  Bring a small hat, some gloves, and a scarf, all of which can be shoved into your laptop bag or suitcase.  For Day 2, you can wear the exact same thing, and switch blouse colors.  Minimal luggage, consistent appearance, and people won't notice the duplicate clothing because they expect you to be looking "professional."

If you're visiting a warm school (Oregon is probably warmer than your hometown), that's all you need.

If you're visiting a colder climate, bring a stylish coat as well.  People will expect you to be wearing a coat, and they'll probably have coathooks all over the place which will reduce the amount of time you spend carrying it around.

Regardless of the climate, it's a good idea to wear at least a layer under your pants.  Most buildings have the temperature down too low to be comfortable, and it will help you be comfortable on the plane without getting out your jacket.  If you also run cold, wear a layer under your blouse.

@rising_star Unfortunately, I have a medical condition that causes some facial blemishes. I use makeup to cover them up, so I do feel it's necessary to make a good first impression/look professional. That's why I'm nervous about when and how much time I have to apply makeup. :/ 

@E-P Good advice! I actually talked with a friend in the program and it seems they run more casual in dress there, so I should be good with business casual for the weekend. :) 

For the cold, I dress like they did in the 1700s- with a lot of layers. So, undergarments, then camisole and knee high socks, then undershirt and leggings, maybe one more pair of socks on top of this (wool), and then finally work/business attire (or jeans, sweater if I don't work that day). Then you can put on your strip-off layers: peacoat, gloves, hat. Boots are a must, especially if there will be snow. I prefer natural materials, so your mileage may vary. I'm a fan of wool, leather, and cotton because the worst thing you could do is sweat in synthetic materials and go out into the cold.