2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

Anyone have any educated guesses as to when we might hear from the following schools (or if someone has heard back and I simply missed the post/announcement): Georgetown, Arizona, UCSD, CU Boulder.

Any info would be much appreciated, as I've received one explicit rejection and a few implicit ones (by means of acceptance and waitlists going out and not being in either group) and am stressing out quite a bit.

14 minutes ago, philoguy said:

Anyone have any educated guesses as to when we might hear from the following schools (or if someone has heard back and I simply missed the post/announcement): Georgetown, Arizona, UCSD, CU Boulder.

Any info would be much appreciated, as I've received one explicit rejection and a few implicit ones (by means of acceptance and waitlists going out and not being in either group) and am stressing out quite a bit.

This might be of use to you:

https://philosophyadmissions.wordpress.com/predictions/

Based on past years, Arizona, UCSD, USC, and MIT ought to be any day now.

25 minutes ago, philoguy said:

I’m with you waiting on CU Boulder. It looks like in the ‘16 season they were sending out acceptances and waitlists on 10 Feb, and last year there was an errant acceptance on the 14th and the remaining decisions (in all three delicious flavours) trickled in on the 15th, 19th, 23rd...even some acceptances into the first week of March. So I’d say it’s safe not to try to predict any patterns based on what you may see early on. 

1 hour ago, philoguy said:

I am in a very similar situation to you philoguy, I applied to 3 out of the 4 programs you mentioned and have seen very little posts/announcements/emails from a whole slew of additional programs I applied to.

Madison's strategy strikes me as interesting in that they seem to have notified many more waitlisters than admits. I think Yale has selected many of their admitted students and has a number of waitlisters by now as well. UCLA seems to be intermittently admitting students. My knowledge is limited by what people report on the survey though, so it's difficult to tell for sure.

Edited by dogman1212

22 minutes ago, Neither Here Nor There said:

Did anyone hear from Fordham? It seems last year it was released on the 10th but I have not seen anything from them on the results page, nor have I heard from them.

I go to Fordham, and I'm surprised they haven't released anything yet this year...

38 minutes ago, dogman1212 said:

I am in a very similar situation to you philoguy, I applied to 3 out of the 4 programs you mentioned and have seen very little posts/announcements/emails from a whole slew of additional programs I applied to.

Madison's strategy strikes me as interesting in that they seem to have notified many more waitlisters than admits. I think Yale has selected many of their admitted students and has a number of waitlisters by now as well. UCLA seems to be intermittently admitting students. My knowledge is limited by what people report on the survey though, so it's difficult to tell for sure.

It looks like four acceptances to UW-Madison have been posted, and they were received before the waitlists were.  It sucks, because I haven't heard anything from the department and it is one of my top choices.

I misread your comment and mangled its meaning.  Please disregard.

Edited by Cogitodoncrien

To my knowledge, UCLA is all done for now. The visit days are pretty soon (Mar 7-9). So yeah. 

14 hours ago, dogman1212 said:

Who knows how they configure their waitlist though!

14 minutes ago, philosophyswede said:

Would it be crazy not to visit departments before deciding? Even if I can get them to pay for my flights from London, I'm concerned about taking the time off work as I don't get paid leave - and at the moment my finances are extremely tight!

Message current graduate students and ask them questions. You will probably learn more that way anyway. 

9 minutes ago, philosobro said:

I know via a very reliable source that all acceptances have been sent out from UCLA. They have not sent out waitlists yet. But if you have not heard back yet then you were not accepted.

Based on past years, this sounds about right. Unfortunately, they don't seem to typically tell people that they are on the waitlist, but will instead just delay in sending decisions to a small number of people. I'm not really sure what the point of that is, but my guess is that anyone who doesn't receive a rejection at the same time as everyone else can take himself/herself to be on an invisible waitlist.

Guest RoughAnatomy
19 hours ago, dogman1212 said:

I emailed Georgetown, given I'm also waiting. James Mattingly replied: no decisions yet. 

They're delayed by a week or so this year - his words. 

Edited by RoughAnatomy

1 hour ago, RoughAnatomy said:

I emailed Georgetown, given I'm also waiting. James Mattingly replied: no decisions yet. 

They're delayed by a week or so this year - his words. 

Thanks for the update on Georgetown. That was a good idea to email them.

And it would make sense that UCLA has sent out all their acceptances.  I've seen many intermittent UCLA acceptances by now and it's possible that more have been unreported. I haven't seen anyone post being waitlisted to UCLA, but I suppose we shouldn't rule out a secret waitlist (or, as I prefer to call it, a ghost waitlist).

I am still a bit stumped about Madison's strategy; someone did just report a rejection from there though. If they have already accepted 4 students, and maybe a few more which may have gone unreported, they may be reaching capacity as well.

Edited by dogman1212

Some may find this information encouraging. I just did a quick search on the gradcafe survey, and as of 2:45pm CT on Feb. 20, 2018, nobody has reported any sort of contact (acceptance, waitlist, interview, rejection, etc.) with the following schools: North Carolina, Georgetown, Pennsylvania, Princeton, Arizona, Harvard, UCSD, Rutgers, Virginia, or Virginia Tech. 

Is Loyola University Chicago over? I got a weird email the other day saying that the committee is still making decisions, which did not make sense since I've seen them on the results page. So I'm not sure if there is more to come, or if that was just an automated message since there was nothing on my file.

Also still nothing from Fordham. 

Guest RoughAnatomy
43 minutes ago, dogman1212 said:

Thanks for the update on Georgetown. That was a good idea to email them.

No problem. 

Do you have a POI at Georgetown with whom you've been in contact? 

41 minutes ago, RoughAnatomy said:

No problem. 

Do you have a POI at Georgetown with whom you've been in contact? 

No, although that may have been a good idea. Judith Lichtenberg and Henry Richardson have very close interests to me. Do you think it would be too late to send a friendly email notifying one of them of my application?

Edited by dogman1212