2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

40 minutes ago, philoguy said:

Clinging right now, haven't heard anything. I did take a look at my application and there was a notification telling me that they didn't have my test scores, which is weird because they explicitly stated they don't want gres(?).

My application page also says this, so I've been chalking it up to a standard notification from the graduate admissions because most other departments do require test scores. 

Accepted to TAMU, USC(south Carolina), a master program of penn.

Received an email from sb. in USC(south California) saying that I'm accepted. But never received an official offer. 

Rejected from penn state and ucla.

No words from UWM, NYU and UMASS. 

Edited by cicxy

5 minutes ago, cicxy said:

Accepted to TAMU, USC(south Carolina), a master program of penn.

Received an email from sb. in USC(south California) saying that I'm accepted. But never received an official offer. 

Rejected by penn state and ucla.

No words from UWM, NYU and UMASS. 

Congratulations!  When did you hear from TAMU? 

2 hours ago, bridgephil said:

I've actually asked a couple professors at this (I'm not at UW, but I am currently finishing undergrad at a PGR ranked school), and they said that even if they like you, they'll often reject you for your own good. Apparently it looks really bad in academia (esp. philosophy) to get your phd from the same school you did your undergrad in and it can hurt your chances significantly in the job market. I think it might also make the school look bad? I totally get where you're coming from though - I really like the school I'm at now, so I wanted to apply here, but my professors said they wouldn't accept someone who did their undergrad here. 

That makes sense! Thanks for the reply! 

3 hours ago, bridgephil said:

I've actually asked a couple professors at this (I'm not at UW, but I am currently finishing undergrad at a PGR ranked school), and they said that even if they like you, they'll often reject you for your own good. Apparently it looks really bad in academia (esp. philosophy) to get your phd from the same school you did your undergrad in and it can hurt your chances significantly in the job market. I think it might also make the school look bad? I totally get where you're coming from though - I really like the school I'm at now, so I wanted to apply here, but my professors said they wouldn't accept someone who did their undergrad here. 

This is sad to hear. Does anyone think there might be an exception for someone who did something other than philosophy for undergrad, got a MA in philosophy somewhere else, and wanted to apply to their undergrad institution for their PhD? 

12 minutes ago, downwardabsolute said:

This is sad to hear. Does anyone think there might be an exception for someone who did something other than philosophy for undergrad, got a MA in philosophy somewhere else, and wanted to apply to their undergrad institution for their PhD? 

There might be? I think the big worry is sort of like that it's intellectually incestuous or something. Presumably if someone did their undergrad in like, physics or something, then got an MA somewhere else, that worry probably wouldn't be founded. 

2 hours ago, philoguy said:

Clinging right now, haven't heard anything. I did take a look at my application and there was a notification telling me that they didn't have my test scores, which is weird because they explicitly stated they don't want gres(?).

And I have the same thing! I thought it was weird, too. 

25 minutes ago, JeshZhavvorsa said:

I accidentally deleted an email from GSU that I seem to remember saying something about having decisions by March 1 if we applied by the Feb 1 deadline. Can anybody confirm this?

Yes! They said "We hope to make our initial decisions by March 1 or 2."

13 hours ago, philoguy said:

13 hours ago, ArendtYouKidding said:

My application page also says this, so I've been chalking it up to a standard notification from the graduate admissions because most other departments do require test scores. 

Yep, it shouldn't affect your application. My page says that too but they told me I'm waitlisted.

Jesus Christ, you lolly gaggers! Get into Harvard and Princeton already! Some of us are trying to make our decisions in a timely fashion. What are you even doing? Sitting around refreshing your email?! How the hell is that going to speed up the process? Just hurry up and get in already! 

waaaaaagh 2 weeks since my 2 rejections and nothing yet and nothing from Stony Brook or Toronto so I'm really not hopeful for those

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

@ the rest of them do it reject me you cowards free me from this hell

12 minutes ago, RoughAnatomy said:

Columbia responded: likely this week, for better or worse.   

Thanks for the update. It's nice to benefit from others' impatience rather than caving to my own (or just sit here refreshing my email ad nauseum).

Guest RoughAnatomy
5 minutes ago, PhiloStorian said:

Thanks for the update. It's nice to benefit from others' impatience rather than caving to my own (or just sit here refreshing my email ad nauseum).

No worries!

I lack that gene where I give a fuck, so, I exploit it to my advantage and the advantage of my impatient compatriots.