2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

1 hour ago, MarcelPr said:

OMG I just got a phone call from Michigan saying that I was admitted!!

But I was in a basement... in China (I am Chinese), and my voice couldn't get through and the professor hanged up the phone lol

I wrote an email to him and tried to dial back, but his line was busy.

Now I'm just freaking out thinking about whether they would just rescind the offer.

Congratulations!! 

37 minutes ago, genderphage said:

I wouldn't think so at all, they must expect some people not to be able to pick up!

Haha true. Especially with the time zone difference. I think the professor is already being pretty considerate to call me at 9pm in Beijing (where I'm living). Is it 6am in Michigan?

Best of luck to you!

I have a question. Is it common for acceptances to be sent out by Professors reviewing the applications and for rejections to be sent out by the department office?

Edited by SirPyros

36 minutes ago, mauven6 said:

Longtime lurker here. Was emailed an offer of admission from Duncan Pritchard of UC Irvine this morning for the PhD in philosophy. 

Same here, made an account to claim an offer of admission from UC Irvine. Still waiting for the formal offer and details about funding.

Could the person who posted rejection at Pitt HPS, please reply here or PM me about whether acceptances were already sent out? It seems odd that they sent a rejection letter first. Maybe your POI really wanted you, but the adcom didn't, so maybe your POI decided to send a personal email? 

Has anyone heard from Harvard GSAS concerning Ethnomusicology. I've had interviews with all the other 3 schools I applied to and an offer from one but I still haven't heard from Harvard. Does this mean a rejection since I haven't even been contacted for an interview? I wish they would hurry up so I can decide whether to accept the offer from the other school. Also, i've  been ivited for the Graduate student visit from that school and since I'm an international student, I would rather combine all visits rather than travel to the US multiple times in March. 

4 hours ago, Stencil said:

Same here, made an account to claim an offer of admission from UC Irvine. Still waiting for the formal offer and details about funding.

Nice, congrats! 

4 hours ago, TorreAttack said:

Accepted into Carnegie Mellon by phone. Was told that a formal email would be sent later this week. I only know of one other acceptance, is there anyone else admitted?

When did you receive the call, if you don't mind me asking?

2 hours ago, Goonasabi said:

How are all of us high on the wait list? I don't get that. Hah.

Similar to that, the program to which I've been accepted said they would nominate me for a fellowship.  Then the three other people reported acceptances and also the fellowship nominations.  It's like, "How many fellowship nominations can you have?" Ha!

17 hours ago, Fregeskind said:

Could the person who posted rejection at Pitt HPS, please reply here or PM me about whether acceptances were already sent out? It seems odd that they sent a rejection letter first. Maybe your POI really wanted you, but the adcom didn't, so maybe your POI decided to send a personal email? 

A reliable source tells me that HPS has sent out at least one acceptance, but I am not sure whether it is specific to the same POI who rejected that guy who posted (apparently they are doing personalized letters this year). But I don't know much more, and am also waiting to hear back. :'(

14 minutes ago, Neither Here Nor There said:

I am wondering if people are not posting their results as much as in the past. I see a Oregon waitlist. I was not aware that they had sent acceptances yet. I wish people would post their acceptances more.

Agreed. This year posts have been abysmally infrequent. Moreover, posts here have been very disorganized (e.g., introducing new topics in threads that are unrelated). In any case, I really wish people would post their results (here or in the results page). Part of the problem, I'd imagine, has to do with very low traffic on this site as compared with years past.