Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

30 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

Well the good thing is Penn/Philly is only an hour and half away. So it would be an easy move after school if you decide to go to Penn. I have a friend that is in Columbia's MSW program (advanced standing) and she tells me she wishes she would have gone to NYU instead. 

That's interesting, how come? 

35 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

Columbia is(was?) my first choice because I really love the emphasis on policy, which is the arena I want to get into, and I want to be in New York. After that, the other two are tied. I'm torn between Penn's program and being in New York. 

As someone who went to NYU for undergrad and accrued over 40k in debt doing it, I'm not at all sure the being-in-New-York factor is worth it, unless cost isn't an issue or you got a really good scholarship. The opportunities that might come from being in the city could be worth it, though, especially if you want to live there after graduation. Just depends on how much of a go-getter you are.

41 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

Well the good thing is Penn/Philly is only an hour and half away. So it would be an easy move after school if you decide to go to Penn. I have a friend that is in Columbia's MSW program (advanced standing) and she tells me she wishes she would have gone to NYU instead. 

Interesting. Do you know why she wishes that? Those Columbia and NYU were the only two schools I applied to. 

4 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

As someone who went to NYU for undergrad and accrued over 40k in debt doing it, I'm not at all sure the being-in-New-York factor is worth it, unless cost isn't an issue or you got a really good scholarship. The opportunities that might come from being in the city could be worth it, though, especially if you want to live there after graduation. Just depends on how much of a go-getter you are.

She said the support isn't really there vs NYU students have more support and opportunities for their students. She also said Columbia sold her on diversity but in all actuality, the diversity is truly lacking, especially as a minority. She said NYU has more of the diversity and inclusion aspect vs Columbia. But, she said the work is easy at Columbia and you are really just paying for the Ivy League name. She personally told me not to attend Columbia because it isn't really worth it to her. 

7 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

She said the support isn't really there vs NYU students have more support and opportunities for their students. She also said Columbia sold her on diversity but in all actuality, the diversity is truly lacking, especially as a minority. She said NYU has more of the diversity and inclusion aspect vs Columbia. But, she said the work is easy at Columbia and you are really just paying for the Ivy League name. She personally told me not to attend Columbia because it isn't really worth it to her. 

Gotcha, that all makes sense. Well, I can't speak for the graduate school, obviously, but I had some roommates who were in Silver while I was in undergrad, and they were genuinely some of the nicest and most passionate people that I have ever met. I kinda wish I'd tried to transfer into Silver while I was there, honestly, but I didn't figure out what I wanted to do until after I graduated. Ah well. Hindsight is 20/20.

7 minutes ago, lost686girl said:

@MoonWalker congrats!

honestly i'm kind of shocked that all priority applicants were not notified first, even if it is a rejection? do they normally do this?

Yeah, that is messed up, imho. You put in the extra effort to apply early, so you should get a response first... it's only fair. It seems like they're just going in totally random order.

50 minutes ago, MoonWalker said:

@abswk Thank you! I applied on February 7th for the two-year full time residential program. I will be attending. 

If you’re comfortable, you mine sharing some of your stats/extracurriculars?

Youve got to be doing something differently to get a fast response before priority people lol

8 minutes ago, MoonWalker said:

One of my friend's has heard back from Columbia (acceptance) and she sent in her application on February 1st. I think they've already moved past the priority applicants... If you haven't heard, they must be undecided on your application and are waiting to see how many will end up attending. I'm sure you all got into amazing schools and will truly make fabulous social workers. You will all end up where you need to be. 

Why wouldn't they waitlist the priority applicants they weren't sure about, then? I applied on 2/15 so it's not relevant to me, but I'm not sure that makes sense. Also, it seems unnecessarily cruel...

I called and the representative was very helpful, I asked a lot of questions... she said that all responses are going out in order of program and submission date. She said if people have been hearing back and you submitted before them, they did not apply for same program as you. Online and 2 year programs have heard back the most. Advanced standing has most batches to work through. She said all decisions have been sent out by date and program order and has nothing to do with strength of application. She said 2-3 more weeks for everyone to hear back from all programs. 

3 minutes ago, abswk said:

I called and the representative was very helpful, I asked a lot of questions... she said that all responses are going out in order of program and submission date. She said if people have been hearing back and you submitted before them, they did not apply for same program as you. Online and 2 year programs have heard back the most. Advanced standing has most batches to work through. She said all decisions have been sent out by date and program order and has nothing to do with strength of application. She said 2-3 more weeks for everyone to hear back from all programs. 

Aha! Thank you so much for this much-needed clarification.

18 minutes ago, abswk said:

when did you call? this was very helpful information. also i need this representative to have a 24/7 hot-line lol 

@MoonWalker: i see you applied for the 2 year program, what is your concentration?

Edited by lost686girl

20 minutes ago, abswk said:

Has anyone who applied here do the online advanced clinical with focus on health, mental health, and disabilities?

Is that the specificity of program release she meant?

If you applied the same as me, when did you apply and if you got in lol

Not to say I don’t believe the person, but I haven’t seen anybody posting rejections yet. Which might make sense some won’t want to share but it could be because they haven’t sent those out period for whatever reason.

Edited by lanabeni

I called this past Friday! And I know I wish I could call her every day lol I keep telling myself “today will be the day” and each day that passes is TORTURE!!! I feel like advanced standing, traditional, priority applicants will be hearing this week. GOD I HOPE SO

4 hours ago, lost686girl said:

i applied for 2 year, residential, SEA concentration. applied at like 9pm on 12/1. us right now:

this one.jpg

I believe SEA and policy (my concentration) are the two least enrolled tracks at Columbia, which sheds a little light on why we are still waiting if it's based on program. I wouldn't be surprised if we are some of the last to know. 

I'm going to drive myself crazy trying to figure this out! I applied to the two year residential track on November 11 and people who applied to the 2 year residential track in February have already heard back so they can't possibly be going in order of applications received. I think I just need to let it go and focus on my other schools at this point.

Edited by Sunset95

9 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Where I currently live doesn't have very much going on so in order to really advance (in any career honestly) people usually have to move out. I've been going up to New York often since I was a kid and sort of fell in love with it so I know that's where I eventually want to move to and I know going to school in the city will expose me to better connections than if I went somewhere outside of it. After all, in order to really establish yourself most of the time it's not where you go, it's who you meet along the way. I got into nyu as an undergrad but ended up deciding on a state school for the extra low cost so I'm not too worried on how much debt I'll be going into because I don't currently have any right now. 

8 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

Where I currently live doesn't have very much going on so in order to really advance (in any career honestly) people usually have to move out. I've been going up to New York often since I was a kid and sort of fell in love with it so I know that's where I eventually want to move to and I know going to school in the city will expose me to better connections than if I went somewhere outside of it. After all, in order to really establish yourself most of the time it's not where you go, it's who you meet along the way. I got into nyu as an undergrad but ended up deciding on a state school for the extra low cost so I'm not too worried on how much debt I'll be going into because I don't currently have any right now. 

I identify with this a lot. I grew up in Phoenix suburbs and have been living in a small blue town in northern Arizona since 2012. I love NYC and see myself being there long term. I feel that it'll be a good environment to really learn and grow as a person and professional, plus there will be a lot of great connections made along the way. 

Which school did you apply to aside from Columbia? 

19 minutes ago, JonoDuncan said:

I identify with this a lot. I grew up in Phoenix suburbs and have been living in a small blue town in northern Arizona since 2012. I love NYC and see myself being there long term. I feel that it'll be a good environment to really learn and grow as a person and professional, plus there will be a lot of great connections made along the way. 

Which school did you apply to aside from Columbia? 

I live right outside of philly so I applied to UPenn (the really good school close to home), Temple (the safety school close to home), and nyu. Philly is also a great city for building those connections but there's just something about New York. I've always seen myself living there and I feel going to school there will help me make a better transition than just moving in general; especially in my field.