I know it's not exactly a rhetoric program, but anyone over here have any thoughts on Berkeley Rhetoric/the one Berkeley Rhetoric acceptance that went up the other day? Thoughts on whether they'll stagger acceptances/when to give up hope?

14 minutes ago, Crow T. Robot said:

I know it's not exactly a rhetoric program, but anyone over here have any thoughts on Berkeley Rhetoric/the one Berkeley Rhetoric acceptance that went up the other day? Thoughts on whether they'll stagger acceptances/when to give up hope?

Hard to say, my friend. From idly skimming past Acceptance threads, it appears that Berkeley sends out acceptances over a few days, but not weeks. It was about this time last year, before the weekend, that they e-mailed the lucky few the good news. But, then again, Grad Cafe posters are generally a small subset of applicants (for English, at least), thereby complicating our search for general trends. Perhaps our being unrepresentative is enough to allow hope? I sure hope so! 

Maybe our adcomm guru @Warelin can shed some light? 

Also: past practices don't necessarily imply future procedures!

Edited by FreakyFoucault

4 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Hard to say, my friend. From idly skimming past Acceptance threads, it appears that Berkeley sends out acceptances over a few days, but not weeks. It was about this time last year, before the weekend, that they e-mailed the lucky few the good news. But, then again, Grad Cafe posters are generally a small subset of applicants (for English, at least), thereby complicating our search for general trends. Perhaps our being unrepresentative is enough to allow hope? I sure hope so! 

Yup, I'm pretty much counting them out for my own sanity at this point... it seems like so few of their acceptances get captured on the survey here. Not necessarily my dream program, but to quote one of the rejectees from years past, "I had to try." 

2 minutes ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Yup, I'm pretty much counting them out for my own sanity at this point... it seems like so few of their acceptances get captured on the survey here. Not necessarily my dream program, but to quote one of the rejectees from years past, "I had to try." 

Well, for better or worse, Berkeley is the White Whale of prospective English PhDs... 

5 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Haha. Someone's going to take your posts seriously and I'll be contacted next semester about everything. :P

Sadly though, I don't know much about California schools. I have a friend who goes to University of Southern California for her Creative Writing PHD but that's about it. :(

2 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Haha. Someone's going to take your posts seriously and I'll be contacted next semester about everything. :P

Sadly though, I don't know much about California schools. I have a friend who goes to University of Southern California for her Creative Writing PHD but that's about it. :(

Hmmmmm this smacks of CYA! You can't fool us!!! 

(kidding, of course :D) 

What kind of grinds my gears, @Crow T. Robot, is that, from the Results board at least, Berkeley Rhetoric didn't send out rejections until March 22!!! That's a long time in limbo! 

Right?? It's unreal. What are they even doing over that month and a half? Just e n d i t n o w already.

2 minutes ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Right?? It's unreal. What are they even doing over that month and a half? Just e n d i t n o w already.

It's like when someone responds to you on Tinder* two months after your initial message:

"Sry, not that into u, good luck!"

*Not on Tinder, but have heard the stories!

It's like when someone responds to you on Tinder* two months after your initial message:

"Sry, not that into u, good luck!"

*Not on Tinder, but have heard the stories!

Oof, that's brutal. Especially "good luck." They could also at least go with the text that I all but cut and paste into the beginning of every single email/Facebook message/letter I find myself sending to a friend or family member: "Ahh! So sorry for the extended delay getting back to you!"

4 minutes ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Oof, that's brutal. Especially "good luck." They could also at least go with the text that I all but cut and paste into the beginning of every single email/Facebook message/letter I find myself sending to a friend or family member: "Ahh! So sorry for the extended delay getting back to you!"

Or just ghost us for crying out loud! If they're going to wait till late March, they might as well commit to our Millennial ways! 

2 hours ago, renea said:

Rhet/comp is such a small field- honestly ppl's facebook's pop up on my feed all the time anyways just from mutual friends at my current my program. First step, facebook stalking. Maybe one day I'll actually have the confidence to approach them in person. 

Right? I feel like my advisor is friends with like 90% of these people anyway so I'm like.... pls be my friend too

This is a very whiny thing to complain about, so pls tell me to shut up if need be but....

WHY HAVE ALL THE VISIT DAYS FOR THE PROGRAMS I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED TO BEEN ON THE SAME DAY? Like, what is it about the first weekend of March that makes every program want to have their visit day?

14 hours ago, Crow T. Robot said:

I really don' know what to think. I applied with the feeling that I have 0.05% chance of getting in. Now I feel like I have 0.03% chance. So, I do take it as a negative sign, but it really doesn't change all that much for me.

16 hours ago, mk-8 said:

This is a very whiny thing to complain about, so pls tell me to shut up if need be but....

WHY HAVE ALL THE VISIT DAYS FOR THE PROGRAMS I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED TO BEEN ON THE SAME DAY? Like, what is it about the first weekend of March that makes every program want to have their visit day?

Part of me wants to tell you to be quiet, but part of me recognizes that those visit days are really important if you are struggling to make a decision. 

8 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

Part of me wants to tell you to be quiet, but part of me recognizes that those visit days are really important if you are struggling to make a decision. 

I am so holding out hope for you and crossing all my fingers/toes. I hope the Syracuse interview goes well!

4 hours ago, Wabbajack said:

I really don' know what to think. I applied with the feeling that I have 0.05% chance of getting in. Now I feel like I have 0.03% chance. So, I do take it as a negative sign, but it really doesn't change all that much for me.

I'm right there with ya. Alas.

On 1/26/2018 at 10:09 AM, midwest-ford said:

I applied to PhD programs at Michigan State, Ohio State, Syracuse, Nebraska-Lincoln, Urbana Champaign, Miami & Amherst. My interests are really varied (my MA is in English-Writing, but the program doesn't offer any rhet comp courses and I'm still learning about the field), but I'm interested in cultural rhetoric, writing centers and writing programs, and composition pedagogy. So far, I've been accepted at MSU and OSU. 

Are you the other Syracuse interview on the results board? 

(I was using the search function to look for past posts and stumbled across this one.) 

I'm obsessing over the number of times "conversation" was dropped in the most recent email from Syracuse. I've now convinced myself that they just talk with all of their applicants. 

12 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

I'm obsessing over the number of times "conversation" was dropped in the most recent email from Syracuse. I've now convinced myself that they just talk with all of their applicants. 

I don't think that's true. Well, I know it's true they probably just want to talk and get to know certain people better. I don't think that's "all" of their applicants, though. I know someone who applied and I'm 99% sure they didn't get an interview.