3 minutes ago, ltr317 said:

Good idea.  They could high step around campus and shout who's your insert (daddy or mommy) now?

The only problem with the forehead-star system is that if you frequent tanning salons or apply spray-tan to your noggin, you begin to resemble a dragon ball. And before you know it, people are running after you and demanding the fulfillment of their wishes. Talk about stressful! 

13 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

The only problem with the forehead-star system is that if you frequent tanning salons or apply spray-tan to your noggin, you begin to resemble a dragon ball. And before you know it, people are running after you and demanding the fulfillment of their wishes. Talk about stressful! 

You're killing me with laughter.   With that, I'm signing off.

PhD applicant here. I've been accepted to the Saint Louis PhD program, but I'm eagerly awaiting others because it's not my absolute first choice. 

I've also applied to VTech, Clemson, NC State, Penn State, Memphis, Miami and Nebraska. Has anyone heard back from any of these PhD programs? 

Wishing you all luck!

20 minutes ago, JDRichter said:

PhD applicant here. I've been accepted to the Saint Louis PhD program, but I'm eagerly awaiting others because it's not my absolute first choice. 

I've also applied to VTech, Clemson, NC State, Penn State, Memphis, Miami and Nebraska. Has anyone heard back from any of these PhD programs? 

Wishing you all luck!

I got a phone call from Nebraska-Lincoln on Monday for an acceptance into rhet comp. I also applied to Miami and haven't heard back yet. 

Edited by midwest-ford
program info

3 minutes ago, midwest-ford said:

I got a phone call from Nebraska-Lincoln on Monday for an acceptance into rhet comp. I also applied to Miami and haven't heard back yet. 

Congrats! Hoping to receive the same call soon. UNL's program seems to be on the rise. 

40 minutes ago, JDRichter said:

Wishing you all luck!

@klader knows about Miami, but I think she said next week maybe?

Clemson will probably notify within the next two weeks as well. Definitely before the end of Feb. NC State's website says mid Feb... but who knows what "mid Feb" means, haha.

Edited by mk-8
Changed "late" to "mid"

On 2/5/2018 at 11:52 PM, mk-8 said:

I use our learning management system (canvas) and I REALLY like it. It offers a lot of tools for grading and feeeback (IMO). It also lets me know if students have looked at my feedback, and I spend a loooooot of time on feedback (more than I should), so it’s nifty. 

Yes!! We used to have Moodle, and then we switched to Canvas. It's suuuuuch time saver. If the SpeedGrading tool was the only advantage I would still choose Canvas everyday. But Canvas also has better page layouts and course copying abilities (I make one version of a class and then copy it over to my other sections). 

6 hours ago, JDRichter said:

Wishing you all luck!

Congrats on your admittance! I also applied to Clemson and Penn State. Nothing word or status change yet! 

Hopefully notifications will go out by early next week for Miami! I think they know who they want to admit but have to go through the proper channels now. 

And if you're admitted, prospective student weekend will be on March 9 (maybe even March 8, too) 

3 hours ago, klader said:

Hopefully notifications will go out by early next week for Miami! I think they know who they want to admit but have to go through the proper channels now. 

And if you're admitted, prospective student weekend will be on March 9 (maybe even March 8, too) 

Ah, thanks for the scoop. Fingers crossed. It's just peachy how programs take their time, yet hold us to rigorous deadlines with little leeway, hah

13 hours ago, JDRichter said:

Ah, thanks for the scoop. Fingers crossed. It's just peachy how programs take their time, yet hold us to rigorous deadlines with little leeway, hah

Haha, yeah, I totally feel this. It's weird because we have a J term here at Miami, so coordinating everyone's schedules and stuff is extra tricky with that.

Plus, they're just behind a little bit. I got my MA acceptance on Feb 8 back in 2016 (so, should have been today! Lol) 

Edited by klader

29 minutes ago, klader said:

Wondering if anyone heard back from Syracuse about interviews?! 

Nooooooooope. I replied to their email on Saturday, but I haven't heard anything since. 

1 hour ago, klader said:

Wondering if anyone heard back from Syracuse about interviews?! 

40 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

Nooooooooope. I replied to their email on Saturday, but I haven't heard anything since. 

Anyone know what programs tend to ask about during interviews like these? I didn't apply to SU but some of the programs I've applied to have done this in recent years. Beyond the personal statement stuff, what're they interested in? 

So frustrating!! I replied on Saturday, too. 

And I've no idea, but I imagine asking about your research/thesis, and future projects you could do? And how you think the program could fit? 

I'm just going to study their website until I know it by heart, lol, and be ready to talk about my interests and basically anything I mentioned in my SoP. 

21 hours ago, Wooshkuh said:

Confession: I found a POI's Instagram account, and I can't stop clicking the next arrow. Help!

This honestly sounds like something I would do. I'm not sure how to help you, I definitely used FB to stalk professors at my potential universities to determine whether I should apply so I clearly don't know boundaries

28 minutes ago, renea said:

This honestly sounds like something I would do. I'm not sure how to help you, I definitely used FB to stalk professors at my potential universities to determine whether I should apply so I clearly don't know boundaries

I 100% have been doing the same with FB accounts lately. Some of them have some pretty lax privacy settings, she says in a way that is definitely NOT creepy. 

43 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

I 100% have been doing the same with FB accounts lately. Some of them have some pretty lax privacy settings, she says in a way that is definitely NOT creepy. 

Rhet/comp is such a small field- honestly ppl's facebook's pop up on my feed all the time anyways just from mutual friends at my current my program. First step, facebook stalking. Maybe one day I'll actually have the confidence to approach them in person.