BC School of Social Work

Cantaloupe121

40 minutes ago, Patriotsfan17 said:

Really? That’s great. I thought my GPA wouldn’t be good enough because i heard some people were getting turned down with much higher gpa

Well, Idk about BC specifically, but in general, it is definitely possible to get into a good MSW program with a similar GPA.

14 hours ago, lostxoco said:

it said:

Congratulations! You have been accepted to the Boston College School of
Social Work.  Your official letter and response form will be sent soon,
but we wanted to give you the good news in advance.  Your response will be
due within three weeks of when you receive the letter.  Please include
your Eagle ID with all correspondence and keep us up to date with any
email, address, or phone number changes for our records.

Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

I'm sure this is an overly neurotic question, but would you mind sharing what time you received that email? I get so antsy every time I get a notification on my phone and it would be nice to know if I shouldn't look for an email until after 5 pm, for example.

8 minutes ago, NYMSW2018 said:

Hi everyone! Just wanted to share I got accepted to BU and BC this morning! Officially choosing UPENN as I received the highest award!

Wow, congrats, what a morning!!! That's so funny that BU emailed you at 1AM. Must be some kind of weird automated system.

Edited by doctormelody

16 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Wow, congrats, what a morning!!! That's so funny that BU emailed you at 1AM. Must be some kind of weird automated system.

Thank you so much!! I would’ve loved to go to either but fortunately my boyfriend got a job near Philly so it’s so much cheaper to live with him. Hang in there, you’ll find your home!

7 minutes ago, NYMSW2018 said:

Thank you so much!! I would’ve loved to go to either but fortunately my boyfriend got a job near Philly so it’s so much cheaper to live with him. Hang in there, you’ll find your home!

That's amazing! Super happy for you. And thank you. This might not be my year but I am hopeful I will find the place for me eventually! 

Would you mind sharing your stats at all if you have a moment?

39 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

That's amazing! Super happy for you. And thank you. This might not be my year but I am hopeful I will find the place for me eventually! 

Would you mind sharing your stats at all if you have a moment?

Sure! Please just don't measure yourself up to it! I may have a good packet but I definitely missed out a lot on college experiences and getting to truly enjoy myself (I've been stressed out my four years!) The only thing it really helped me with was securing aid which I couldn't afford without. 

GPA: 3.92 double majoring in Psychology and Criminal Justice and am at the top 10% of my graduating class. I did not take the GRE. 

I've had two internships in working with sexual assault and domestic violence victims. I was a teacher's assistant for a class and I also have an on campus job.

I'm President of my college's LGBTQ+ club and have been extremely active in the college community and working with administration around LGBTQ issues. I also identify as LGBTQ which may have leaned in my favor. 

I have done Psychology research my past four years at my institution and secured a highly competitive fellowship at Duke University.. one of my recommendations was from there.

In general, I had really glowing reccs and a well written personal statement that I agonized over for several months. 

Edited by NYMSW2018

7 minutes ago, NYMSW2018 said:

I submitted 2/2 and it was completed 2/5

Which program did you apply for? I applied for the 3year extended program (completed by 1/17). I wonder if they're going through the traditional 2 year program applications first before the extended program.

57 minutes ago, NYMSW2018 said:

Sure! Please just don't measure yourself up to it! I may have a good packet but I definitely missed out a lot on college experiences and getting to truly enjoy myself (I've been stressed out my four years!) The only thing it really helped me with was securing aid which I couldn't afford without. 

GPA: 3.92 double majoring in Psychology and Criminal Justice and am at the top 10% of my graduating class. I did not take the GRE. 

I've had two internships in working with sexual assault and domestic violence victims. I was a teacher's assistant for a class and I also have an on campus job.

I'm President of my college's LGBTQ+ club and have been extremely active in the college community and working with administration around LGBTQ issues. I also identify as LGBTQ which may have leaned in my favor. 

I have done Psychology research my past four years at my institution and secured a highly competitive fellowship at Duke University.. one of my recommendations was from there.

In general, I had really glowing reccs and a well written personal statement that I agonized over for several months. 

Wow, you have incredible stats! No wonder you got such good aid offers! Did you always plan to go into social work?

21 hours ago, ngoc9 said:

Which program did you apply for? I applied for the 3year extended program (completed by 1/17). I wonder if they're going through the traditional 2 year program applications first before the extended program.

I applied to the 2 year full time program! I'm assuming they're doing prioritizing advanced, then 2-year, then so on.

20 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Wow, you have incredible stats! No wonder you got such good aid offers! Did you always plan to go into social work?

I originally wanted to be a clinical psychologist but the field is just way too competitive. Over time I also realized I really don't like research THAT much and would dread the thought of doing it every day. I would much rather go into a clinical practice. 

37 minutes ago, NYMSW2018 said:

I originally wanted to be a clinical psychologist but the field is just way too competitive. Over time I also realized I really don't like research THAT much and would dread the thought of doing it every day. I would much rather go into a clinical practice. 

Makes sense! I’m sure all that research will give you an excellent foundation for clinical practice, too. I’m with you - I originally wanted to be an academic before I realized how much I hated doing research, haha.

Edited by doctormelody

7 minutes ago, Patriotsfan17 said:

Has anyone heard anything today? No emails or calls yet for me. Hoping they let me know by today 

Nothing for me yet either. Do you have a deadline to get back to other schools? I’ve just resigned myself to not calling or emailing anymore, they’ll get back to me whenever they see fit.