BC School of Social Work

Cantaloupe121

9 minutes ago, ngoc9 said:

So are you still considering Simmons even though they didn’t give you merit scholarship? Where else have you heard back from?

No, I will be declining their offer unless, Idk, something changes? I got a very strange email from the Director of Admissions at 10:30 pm last night saying that "up to date, a Simmons merit scholarship has not been awarded to you." I don't know what that means exactly and I asked for clarification but he hasn't responded yet. Maybe they're waiting to see if a lot of people decline their offers and then they will award a second round of merit scholarships with the leftover money? I don't know, but I'm not holding out hope regardless. I also heard back from Tulane, but they only gave me 12,500 for the first year so I might have to reapply to MSW programs next year. It is what it is.

Also, just called BC and they told me I would hear within two weeks as well so I think that's just the standard response they're giving everyone regardless of when you applied.

8 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

No, I will be declining their offer unless, Idk, something changes? I got a very strange email from the Director of Admissions at 10:30 pm last night saying that "up to date, a Simmons merit scholarship has not been awarded to you." I don't know what that means exactly and I asked for clarification but he hasn't responded yet. Maybe they're waiting to see if a lot of people decline their offers and then they will award a second round of merit scholarships with the leftover money? I don't know, but I'm not holding out hope regardless. I also heard back from Tulane, but they only gave me 12,500 for the first year so I might have to reapply to MSW programs next year. It is what it is.

Also, just called BC and they told me I would hear within two weeks as well so I think that's just the standard response they're giving everyone regardless of when you applied.

Yeah hopefully they do end up getting more funds to give out. If BC doesn't work out, I want to appeal for more merit scholarship. I was offered 24k for 3 years, and doesn't cover summer classes. That's a lot to take out in loans. 

5 minutes ago, ngoc9 said:

Yeah hopefully they do end up getting more funds to give out. If BC doesn't work out, I want to appeal for more merit scholarship. I was offered 24k for 3 years, and doesn't cover summer classes. That's a lot to take out in loans. 

Ugh, yeah, that would still be like 40k in loans, right? Honestly, I don't know how anyone does this. I really want to pursue this career path but the cost of getting an MSW is almost prohibitive for me.

7 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Ugh, yeah, that would still be like 40k in loans, right? Honestly, I don't know how anyone does this. I really want to pursue this career path but the cost of getting an MSW is almost prohibitive for me.

I applied to BC and Simmons for their 3 year program, just so that I can go to school part time and work full time. I feel like if I don't go back now, I might not go back at all. I already took a year off, but I think going back part time will help financially. My loans will be deferred so that's not as bad. idk :/ 

4 minutes ago, ngoc9 said:

I applied to BC and Simmons for their 3 year program, just so that I can go to school part time and work full time. I feel like if I don't go back now, I might not go back at all. I already took a year off, but I think going back part time will help financially. My loans will be deferred so that's not as bad. idk :/ 

That makes sense, and I know the feeling - I've been out of school for almost three years at this point, and I'm nervous about waiting another year. But it might end up being my only viable option.

11 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

That makes sense, and I know the feeling - I've been out of school for almost three years at this point, and I'm nervous about waiting another year. But it might end up being my only viable option.

but girl, we got this. What's meant to be, will be. 

I don’t know what to do. I called Simmons asking for an extension. But he said he won’t be able to give me more than an additional few days-week or else they would have to take my merit award away and give it to someone on the waiting list. I really hope BC sends something out soon. ??‍♀️

40 minutes ago, ngoc9 said:

I don’t know what to do. I called Simmons asking for an extension. But he said he won’t be able to give me more than an additional few days-week or else they would have to take my merit award away and give it to someone on the waiting list. I really hope BC sends something out soon. ??‍♀️

That’s so messed up, omg. Also, not to be overly bitter, but why would they give it to someone on the waiting list and not someone who actually got in the first time around? ?

16 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

That’s so messed up, omg. Also, not to be overly bitter, but why would they give it to someone on the waiting list and not someone who actually got in the first time around? ?

I think he meant the financial aid waiting list lol sorry! Should’ve been more specific. 

10 minutes ago, NYMSW2018 said:

I SHOULD be hearing back from BC this week as today marks my 6th week. 

It’s been 9 weeks since all my materials were submitted ☹️

30 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

That is super weird. When did they give you an extension until?

He said he was going to send me an email with the exact date by today. But I saw that a lot of people were doing this, and i might have to too: pay the deposit to Simmons first and wait to see what BC says and go from there.

8 minutes ago, ngoc9 said:

He said he was going to send me an email with the exact date by today. But I saw that a lot of people were doing this, and i might have to too: pay the deposit to Simmons first and wait to see what BC says and go from there.

Ugh yeah that sucks. I really hope BC lets you know soon!

6 hours ago, lostxoco said:

For those familiar with the Boston area...where are you hoping to live when you start BC? 

If I end up going to BC, I’m commuting from home. But from my experience there at undergrad- a good area to look for apartment is Brighton/Allston, it’ll be on the T (b line). Cleveland circle or around the C line is a good place. Not sure how much these apartments go for, but I see a lot of Facebook posts about subletting if that’s an option for you. 

1 hour ago, ngoc9 said:

If I end up going to BC, I’m commuting from home. But from my experience there at undergrad- a good area to look for apartment is Brighton/Allston, it’ll be on the T (b line). Cleveland circle or around the C line is a good place. Not sure how much these apartments go for, but I see a lot of Facebook posts about subletting if that’s an option for you. 

Thank you for this info, it’s a big help. Where are these facebook posts you are seeing? 

1 hour ago, ngoc9 said:

@doctormelody I got my package from simmons listing out my loans today.

Just out of curiosity, did it have your merit scholarship listed as well? Mine had a sample letter with a merit scholarship listed in addition to my actual letter, which was what tipped me off that I hadn’t received one. Still don’t know why they had to beat around the bush about it.

Edited by doctormelody

7 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Just out of curiosity, did it have your merit scholarship listed as well? Mine had a sample letter with a merit scholarship listed in addition to my actual letter, which was what tipped me off that I hadn’t received one. Still don’t know why they had to beat around the bush about it.

No it didn’t list my merit.