Vanier 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

Wow. So many (complete) strangers trying to discourage me from pursuing a PhD. Total strangers, people I have barely spoke to. (The word got around that I have been accepted in a PhD). It just pushes me to prove them wrong. Nobody in my family, friends, colleagues and supervisors (current and futur) doubt of my abilities (personal and intellectual) to succeed in a doctoral program. And if I do get Vanier, hell yeah I'll tell these people that I got the most prestigious doctoral scholarship in the country. 

People seem to think that just because I am young, been raised by a single mother, etc, that I can't succeed. F*ck them.

12 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Wow. So many (complete) strangers trying to discourage me from pursuing a PhD. Total strangers, people I have barely spoke to. (The word got around that I have been accepted in a PhD). It just pushes me to prove them wrong. Nobody in my family, friends, colleagues and supervisors (current and futur) doubt of my abilities (personal and intellectual) to succeed in a doctoral program. And if I do get Vanier, hell yeah I'll tell these people that I got the most prestigious doctoral scholarship in the country. 

People seem to think that just because I am young, been raised by a single mother, etc, that I can't succeed. F*ck them.

Follow your heart.  If you have gotten this far and even been nominated for Vanier and SSHRC, then you are very likely to succeed. 

45 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

If you look for Archived Opportunities, and find the 2018-2019 Vanier competition, it says results will be announced on April 4th. I hope it'll be before that...

What sucks is that historically they seem to release results later than the posted anticipated date...

14 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

One month of waiting :(

Going to be torture! Hard to not neurotically check ResearchNet ? Hoping for the best for everyone! Been trying to compare how my application holds up against previous Vanier winners. I don’t recommend it ?

12 minutes ago, immunity said:

Going to be torture! Hard to not neurotically check ResearchNet ? Hoping for the best for everyone! Been trying to compare how my application holds up against previous Vanier winners. I don’t recommend it ?

Omg, I totally relate. I've been doing both! 

18 minutes ago, immunity said:

@immunity, I am assuming you've applied to CIHR Vanier? 

15 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

@immunity, I am assuming you've applied to CIHR Vanier? 

So glad to know I’m not the only one! And yup, CIHR. Doesn’t seem like CIHR people are very active in this forum. Thanks for starting this thread btw!

I’ve also looked back at the previous years’ threads and it looks like this entire thing is one big crapshoot...

3 minutes ago, immunity said:

So glad to know I’m not the only one! And yup, CIHR. Doesn’t seem like CIHR people are very active in this forum. Thanks for starting this thread btw!

I’ve also looked back at the previous years’ threads and it looks like this entire thing is one big crapshoot...

@immunity, yeah, according to applicants from previous years, the thing is pretty subjective :( I wish I could get Vanier though. I have moments where I feel confident that I'll get it, and other moments where I get insecure. I think the only part where I am not as strong as others is first-authored publications. But I applied as a master's student, so I guess it is expected that at my stage (and in my field), I won't have as many publications. I have heard of people who got Vanier without any publications, so it's a bit reassuring. The waiting is killing me. :(

7 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

@immunity, yeah, according to applicants from previous years, the thing is pretty subjective :( I wish I could get Vanier though. I have moments where I feel confident that I'll get it, and other moments where I get insecure. I think the only part where I am not as strong as others is first-authored publications. But I applied as a master's student, so I guess it is expected that at my stage (and in my field), I won't have as many publications. I have heard of people who got Vanier without any publications, so it's a bit reassuring. The waiting is killing me. :(

Stay strong! ? just one more month. I hope you can get it too. The funny thing for me is as time passes, I get less and less confident. If I had known my boss wanted me to apply for Vanier, I would’ve prepared much better! Too bad this is my first and last try at this...

10 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Also, if I remember correctly from an information session by CIHR, every section is scored equally and then the average of the three is taken. Depending on that score, you are placed into three bins: 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 and you’d want to be in the upper middle-top bin to get it. So feasibly if you kill leadership and academic potential, it could make up for academic excellence. 

1 minute ago, immunity said:

Stay strong! ? just one more month. I hope you can get it too. The funny thing for me is as time passes, I get less and less confident. If I had known my boss wanted me to apply for Vanier, I would’ve prepared much better! Too bad this is my first and last try at this...

I think my confidence went down because I did not get forwarded for the Trudeau scholarship at my uni. I expected that the process would be harder for Trudeau, but since I was forwarded for Vanier, I thought I would also be forwarded for Trudeau. I will try again for Trudeau next year though. But if I don't get Vanier this time, and I get a smaller scholarship, I won't have any choice than accepting the smaller scholarship in order to live. I am moving out of town to pursue my PhD so I need money. But if I accept FRQSC or SSHRC or OGS this year, that makes me not eliglble for Vanier.