Vanier 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

Im an MD/PhD student that had my application forwarded to the national Vanier competition and honestly I am not handling my nerves very well. Thankfully med school is quite busy with coursework so I didn’t think about it a lot. However, the last two weeks of March are particularly dead for me (no imminent midterms or finals) so I am constantly wracked with worry. This wait feels worse than waiting for med acceptances. 

Do the results emails give any hints to your status or is it just a « check the portal for results » type thing? 

How are you guys coping with the anxiety?!?

@HonestlyConfused Hang in there! I can completely relate to it. Going by the date in the researchnet site, it is only two weeks away. But feels like a long long time. 

I'm trying to distract myself by learning new tools but it is really difficult to concentrate. 

If I am not wrong, the email will notify us that a decision has been made and once you sign in the portal, you would know the result. Other can correct me if I am wrong. 

1 hour ago, HonestlyConfused said:

Im an MD/PhD student that had my application forwarded to the national Vanier competition and honestly I am not handling my nerves very well. Thankfully med school is quite busy with coursework so I didn’t think about it a lot. However, the last two weeks of March are particularly dead for me (no imminent midterms or finals) so I am constantly wracked with worry. This wait feels worse than waiting for med acceptances. 

Do the results emails give any hints to your status or is it just a « check the portal for results » type thing? 

How are you guys coping with the anxiety?!?

I try to keep myself busy. But as the date approaches, it's hard not to not feel anxious. But one thing's for sure for me, I have put 100% effort into this application. If I don't get selected, I will be disappointed but I know as a matter of fact that I could not have done "more" at this stage to get the scholarship, I gave my 100% effort. At this point, I think it's just a question of who's the reviewers and luck. 

Edited by Adelaide9216

1 hour ago, Shinhan said:

If I am not wrong, the email will notify us that a decision has been made and once you sign in the portal, you would know the result. Other can correct me if I am wrong. 

I believe it is the case. That's also my understanding. 

1 minute ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I try to keep myself busy. But as the date approaches, it's hard not to not feel anxious. But one thing's for sure for me, I have put 100% effort into this application. If I don't get selected, I will be disappointed but I know as a matter of fact that I could not have done "more" at this stage to get the scholarship, I gave my 100% effort. At this point, I think it's just a question of who's the reviewers and luck. 

Do they usually release on the anticipated release day or does it fluctuate. I honestly hadn’t done any research on Vanier prior to beginning my actual application in the summer.

I don't know. ResearchNet info says April 4th. But my university says March 31st on their website, I think it's based off last year date of release of the results. I tend to believe it's going to be in April...

I also thought I saw a Twitter post last year that was a little bit before the official release on the Vanier website.  I am not 100% sure if it was Vanier and it could have been SSHRC but from what I recall it was a congrats to a student who had won an award from their professor. I recall looking at it and realizing it was before the official results were released and was probably a faux pas to be posting on social media about it if they knew in advance.  This made me think that institutions may get notice earlier and may tell us, but if we hear from them we are probably supposed to keep silent until the official release date.  I was wondering if that was what was meant when Vanier told you that results could be a bit earlier.  Right now it says April 4th.  Just 2 weeks.  Keep busy and keep smiling everyone!  :)

The Vanier CGS site still doesn't have a site, but apparently ResearchNet has a date...? 

I really hope it's early April.

Last year it was end of April, near May. It nearly killed me from the suspense.

I'm jaded this year after being waitlisted... and I'm so busy elsewhere in life I don't have time to think about this award as hard as I did last year.

I hope we find out sooner than later!!!

5 hours ago, CrazyPugLady said:

The Vanier CGS site still doesn't have a site, but apparently ResearchNet has a date...? 

I'm jaded this year after being waitlisted... and I'm so busy elsewhere in life I don't have time to think about this award as hard as I did last year.

ResearchNet said April 4th. 

12 hours ago, CrazyPugLady said:

Last year's Vanier thread seems to show people posting that they got their decisions April 5th.  So hopefully they are closer to April 4th date posted or earlier, as some suggested was a possibility.  That would be so nice.  I know SSHRC wasn't until April 30-May 5 depending where you live but winners seemed to get notice earlier from their institutions in many cases.

A Researchnet maintenance message on CIHR webpage says:

"Please note that ResearchNet will be unavailable from 8:00 p.m. ET on Friday, March 22 to 8:00 a.m. ET on Monday, March 25 due to scheduled maintenance. The CIHR, Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship, Vanier, and the Canadian Common CV websites will not be affected." 

But apparently the Vanier page is affected afterall unless there is another direct login for Vanier only.

36 minutes ago, TBay said:

A Researchnet maintenance message on CIHR webpage says:

"Please note that ResearchNet will be unavailable from 8:00 p.m. ET on Friday, March 22 to 8:00 a.m. ET on Monday, March 25 due to scheduled maintenance. The CIHR, Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship, Vanier, and the Canadian Common CV websites will not be affected." 

But apparently the Vanier page is affected afterall unless there is another direct login for Vanier only.

I don’t know any other direct login for Vanier.

Is anyone else having an issue with your research-net login ? I haven't checked it for months now, but when I tried to login earlier today, it kept giving me an error message. 

Edited by johnstraw199

Does anybody know if the nominating university is likely to have advance notice of Vanier scholarships? I was put forward to the national competition and am feeling antsy about meeting with my advisor tomorrow. Worried I'll get bad news and trying to prepare for the blow.

@WKLP If I recall correctly, the applicants will be notified directly. I remember reading in previous years' Vanier threads here that the university may not know the results in advance and the applicants will know it first. 

Hang in there! Hopefully we'll know the results next week. 

Just now, Shinhan said:

@WKLP If I recall correctly, the applicants will be notified directly. I remember reading in previous years' Vanier threads here that the university may not know the results in advance and the applicants will know it first. 

Hang in there! Hopefully we'll know the results next week. 

Ah, thanks so much for the quick reply. It's such a life-changing amount of funding and I confess I've spent quite a few hours daydreaming about it this winter. It's gotten to the point where it will be weird to stop. The odds are a little better than a lottery scratch ticket, after all! Good luck to everyone.

1 hour ago, WKLP said:

Does anybody know if the nominating university is likely to have advance notice of Vanier scholarships? I was put forward to the national competition and am feeling antsy about meeting with my advisor tomorrow. Worried I'll get bad news and trying to prepare for the blow.

I think they do for SSHRC Doctoral awards but not for Vanier awards since they are online. SSHRC is different because it is mailed out, but on the same day they are mailed, the institutions get a list of winners by email, from what I understand, so that is why some people find out before the snail mail arrives.  I think with Vanier we probably get notice at the same time.   

2 hours ago, Shinhan said:

@WKLP Ah, couldn't agree more. This scholarship would make our lives way easier during grad school. Good luck with your meeting tomorrow :) 

Other than the fact that it's a lot of money, I feel like when you get Vanier, you're taken more "seriously" as a student-researcher? Isn't that the case?