Vanier 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

5 hours ago, CrazyPugLady said:

I'm so burned out. I really tried my best. I think getting waitlisted truly had a negative impact on my confidence, and subsequently, my performance. I am just not as motivated (ironically enough), as I was the first year I applied for Vanier. I was so confident last year it was a huge kick in the ego. I really hope this year is the year, but who knows. I'm gonna set my expectations low.

It'd be nice because I am miserable in my current job and would love to devote my full time to doing my PhD.

I was really disappointed to not get the Vanier last year - I was ranked in the 70s. So close, but not close enough (at all). I did get a SSHRC which I am really thankful for. It also means I cannot apply for the Vanier this year, so less anxiety on that front. I have a friend who got the Vanier the second time he applied, and she says that waiting a year really improved her application a lot. Hopefully you have the same experience! (But try not to think about it until April :) ) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 12:20 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

It's hard not to think about this scholarship. Do you think it's easier to get a prof position if you got Vanier?

I would say that having a ton of publications is better than the Vanier to get an academic position 

Still "in peer review".  I am trying to understand what the difference is - if any - between CGS Vanier and SSHRC Vanier?  I was nominated for the Vanier CGS and just found out I was also forwarded to SSHRC Doctoral which obviously are different.  I thought my Vanier application was only for a Vanier CGS.  Can anyone explain what people mean when they refer to the SSHRC Vanier?

3 hours ago, TBay said:

Still "in peer review".  I am trying to understand what the difference is - if any - between CGS Vanier and SSHRC Vanier?  I was nominated for the Vanier CGS and just found out I was also forwarded to SSHRC Doctoral which obviously are different.  I thought my Vanier application was only for a Vanier CGS.  Can anyone explain what people mean when they refer to the SSHRC Vanier?

The Vanier Secretariat (for which there is three research councils depending on the domain of your studies) awards 167 scholarships. Each research council gives 55 scholarships. So SSHRC will give 55 Vanier, as well as NSERC and CIHR. So there's Vanier SSHRC, Vanier NSERC and Vanier CIHR.

SSHRC Doctoral is the "regular" competition, with awards of a lesser value.

So SSHRC Doctoral and SSHRC Vanier are two different things. They also require two separate applications. 

I don't know if it's clearer.

Edited by Adelaide9216

Ohhhhh, I just got your question. Sorry about that! 

CGS (Joseph-Armand Bombardier) Doctoral and SSHRC Doctoral are both the "regular" scholarships. You are considered for both automatically I believe. One is less prestigious of the other though. 

Value Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program Doctoral Scholarships: $35,000 per year

SSHRC Doctoral Fellowships: $20,000 per year
Duration Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program
Doctoral Scholarships: 36 months

SSHRC Doctoral Fellowships: 12, 24, 36 or 48 months

Looks like we're gonna know the results on April 4th, 2019.

Funding Organization 
Vanier CGS
Program Name
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships : 2018-2019 ARCHIVED
Program Launch Date 
2018-06-19
Deadline Date
TBD

Important Dates

Competition 201810CGV 
CLOSED
Application Deadline 2018-10-31
Anticipated Notice of Decision 2019-04-04
Funding Start Date 2019-05-01

17 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Looks like we're gonna know the results on April 4th, 2019.

Funding Organization 
Vanier CGS
Program Name
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships : 2018-2019 ARCHIVED
Program Launch Date 
2018-06-19
Deadline Date
TBD

Important Dates

Competition 201810CGV 
CLOSED
Application Deadline 2018-10-31
Anticipated Notice of Decision 2019-04-04
Funding Start Date 2019-05-01

last year it was 5 days after what it said on there 

Oh my...another student (with the same supervisor as I do) also got forwarded to Ottawa at my uni. He's a 2nd or 3rd year PhD student while I am still a master's student. He has tons of publications. I know Vanier takes the career stage into consideration (I am only beginning un grad school) but this makes me anxious. :( 

6 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Oh my...another student (with the same supervisor as I do) also got forwarded to Ottawa at my uni. He's a 2nd or 3rd year PhD student while I am still a master's student. He has tons of publications. I know Vanier takes the career stage into consideration (I am only beginning un grad school) but this makes me anxious. :( 

I don't know if two students from the same lab ever got the Vanier in the exact same year lol

Edited by PsychBoy

14 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Even if the other one does get it, you can still get the maximum 3 years of funding if you apply next year.  Keep in touch with your contacts for letters, etc. just in case. 

26 minutes ago, TBay said:

Even if the other one does get it, you can still get the maximum 3 years of funding if you apply next year.  Keep in touch with your contacts for letters, etc. just in case. 

Yeah, I saw that two years ago, two people in the same département at one uni got Vanier. So it kinda reassures me. 

2 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Yeah, I saw that two years ago, two people in the same département at one uni got Vanier. So it kinda reassures me. 

both were supervised by the same prof?

2 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I have no idea! Also saw that like 4 people in the same département won Vanier in the same year for NSERC

Wow, I thought most schools had quotas of only 1 or 2, although I recall seeing 3 at a few larger institutions.  Mine only sent 1 and I don't think they sent anyone last year.  I am a bit concerned that my leadership is unconventional, as it is from independent work I undertook before returning to do my MA.  But it was leadership, as I spearheaded research and events, and opened an interpretive center (and had to fight a Southern good old boy club to do it).  In the end, it made a significant impact on the City and I won a local history advocacy award from the State.  So I wonder if the committee will just say, "Ahhh, interesting, but not academic based leadership" since I did this on my own.  I wish I knew more about the types of leadership past Vanier winners had.  If anyone knows of any examples, I would love to hear about them. Mine was very personal and was quite a struggle so the judging of that aspect means a lot on a very deep level.

On 1/17/2019 at 10:57 AM, TBay said:

Wow, I thought most schools had quotas of only 1 or 2, although I recall seeing 3 at a few larger institutions.  Mine only sent 1 and I don't think they sent anyone last year.  I am a bit concerned that my leadership is unconventional, as it is from independent work I undertook before returning to do my MA.  But it was leadership, as I spearheaded research and events, and opened an interpretive center (and had to fight a Southern good old boy club to do it).  In the end, it made a significant impact on the City and I won a local history advocacy award from the State.  So I wonder if the committee will just say, "Ahhh, interesting, but not academic based leadership" since I did this on my own.  I wish I knew more about the types of leadership past Vanier winners had.  If anyone knows of any examples, I would love to hear about them. Mine was very personal and was quite a struggle so the judging of that aspect means a lot on a very deep level.

Hello, if you look at the criteria on the Vanier website, I think this would fall into leadership as they describe it. I also have these types of leadership experiences as well. They are especially looking for leadership outside of academia, not only within academia. 

Leadership (Potential and Demonstrated Ability): Given the prestige of the Vanier CGS program, this is an important criterion that has to be assessed in an indirect manner, since there is no opportunity for the selection committee to interview candidates.

When evaluating this criterion, reference the instructions provided to candidates.

More information on leadership is available in the SSHRC-funded study, Leadership at the Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Levels [ PDF (260 KB) ].

When assessing the leadership criterion, consider how the nominee has gone above and beyond the expected norms in order to overcome obstacles, foster others, spearhead change, or otherwise demonstrate Leadership.

Personal achievement

• Impactful involvement and achievement in professional programs/association such as sports, arts, science, business etc
  • Entrepreneurial achievement (start-up company, establishing an NGO or  charitable initiative, establishing arts/sports based festivals/competitions); 
  • Foreign study 

Involvement in academic life

• mentoring/teaching;
  • supervisory experience;
  • involvement in student government and in the institution community, including committees, teams, senate, boards, ethics committees, etc.;
  • project/lab management;
  • roles in academic/professional societies; 
  • organization of conferences, meetings, courses etc.

Volunteerism/community outreach

• involvement in charity or not-for-profit organizations.

Civic engagement

• parliamentary page positions and internships;
  • political activity;
  • elected positions

Goal achievement

• a clear vision of what they want to accomplish;
  • a developed personal vision for the future that defines a impactful/meaningful change for the community or a group, cause or organization; 
  • strategizes on how to achieve desired outcomes and has specific, realistic and timely goals.

Self-management

• knows how to prioritize and complete tasks to reach the desired outcome and is confident of success;
  • establishes learning goals and tasks;
  • reaches goals in an efficient, organized and innovative way; and
  • is constantly working on self-improvement

Integrity

• acts consistently with core ethical and personal values and convictions; and
  • accepts personal accountability for the consequences of their actions/decisions.

Other characteristics

• is creative and takes initiative;
  • is curious;
  • deals well with complexity;
  • has a strong sense of reality;
  • is courageous;
  • is strategic, a big-picture thinker;
  • focuses on solutions, not problems;
  • is capable of producing extraordinary results; and
  • is able to solve real problems and create real products.

Social skills

• knows how to develop positive relationships with a diverse range of people;
  • cares about and listens to what others say and gives feedback;
  • knows how to motivate individuals;
  • is persuasive;
  • is supportive of peers;
  • is able to negotiate;
  • is viewed as trustworthy, ethical and dependable;
  • is well-respected; and
  • displays mastery of presentation skills and public communications.

I found this in Google on this link https://www.mun.ca/sgs/current/funding/Vanier_Schs_Presentation_2018.pdf:

Past Vanier Winners reported:

• Organizing/participating in volunteer activities 87%

• Taking on an administrative role 77%

• Promoting awareness for a particular cause 75%

• Participating in institutional associations 75%

• Educating youth or community groups 72%

• Participating in civic initiatives 65%

• Taking a leadership role in campus activities 57%

• Holding a position in a professional organization 47%

• Participating in campus media 46%

• Developing & executing a fundraiser 43%

Edited by Adelaide9216

Yeah, last year the results were released at the end of March (officially) but there was a delay of a few days so results were released in early April. My status is still in Peer Review right now. Good luck to you too! 

Edited by Adelaide9216

On 1/17/2019 at 7:45 AM, Adelaide9216 said:

I have no idea! Also saw that like 4 people in the same département won Vanier in the same year for NSERC

I know of two people with the same supervisor who won the Vanier scholarship in the same year. Apparently it can happen!