Vanier 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

45 minutes ago, cchu said:

who can control you?

Nobody lol! But still, even the dean of my faculty emailed me to say not to make any public annoucenement. I guess I'm a "good girl" and will wait. hahahaha.

Do you know when the public announcements are usually made? 

So, no one from my school has actually reached out to me yet about recieving a Vanier, whether to tell me next steps or to congratulate. I am wondering if I was supposed to notify them? I did tell my supervisor of course who is happy about it, but I am a little puzzled about what to do next. Is that weird that no one has reached out to me? So I definitely won't be saying anything publicly until CIHR gives a go ahead. 

23 minutes ago, PhDough said:

So, no one from my school has actually reached out to me yet about recieving a Vanier, whether to tell me next steps or to congratulate. I am wondering if I was supposed to notify them? I did tell my supervisor of course who is happy about it, but I am a little puzzled about what to do next. Is that weird that no one has reached out to me? So I definitely won't be saying anything publicly until CIHR gives a go ahead. 

Maybe you should inform them? I have received an email from the Dean and the director of my program to congratulate me. But I did email the university when I learned the news.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that with 50k a year, it's a question of putting some aside for the 4th and 5th year of our PhD. I'm also starting my first year in the fall and that's what I intend on doing. We're also very privileged to have gotten such a big amount - some other students fund their PhD studies on 15k (OGS) a year. 

On 4/5/2019 at 3:23 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

I want to make the announcement on social media but we’ve been told we can’t for now. Yet, I see many people who announced it already. When is the public announcement?

like july 

you should wait you could get in trouble 

5 hours ago, PsychBoy said:

like july 

you should wait you could get in trouble 

I will wait, I have failed my masters thesis so I am focusing on editing and resubmitting for the next weeks

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone that is interested in writing to Vanier committee for changing the rules on eligibility criteria (number of months in the graduate studies which they count for the subsequent year instead of the time of the application like CIHR) let me know (iparadj@gmail.com)

Since I enroled in the summer 2018, I would be ineligible as per current criteria although I'm only in my second year.

I contacted them already and they said criteria might change. Might as well try to change it together and make an actual effort. I drafted the letter but anyone interested in helping, let me know before the end of May if possible.

Next competition is launching in July.

23 hours ago, astralsource said:

Anyone that is interested in writing to Vanier committee for changing the rules on eligibility criteria (number of months in the graduate studies which they count for the subsequent year instead of the time of the application like CIHR) let me know (iparadj@gmail.com)

Since I enroled in the summer 2018, I would be ineligible as per current criteria although I'm only in my second year.

I contacted them already and they said criteria might change. Might as well try to change it together and make an actual effort. I drafted the letter but anyone interested in helping, let me know before the end of May if possible.

Next competition is launching in July.

do you possibly know what they mean by 20 months ? is it inclusive or if i reach 20 months by the time that i have started by may 1st (assuming this wont change) 2020, am i not eligible? 

23 hours ago, Proteinsci said:

do you possibly know what they mean by 20 months ? is it inclusive or if i reach 20 months by the time that i have started by may 1st (assuming this wont change) 2020, am i not eligible? 

If you dont go over 20 months on May 1 2020 you should be fine!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi! I was nominated for a Vanier the previous year but did not make it. I'm wondering if I should request one of my leadership references from someone else or if it might be better to simply keep the same referees and ask my previous referee if she might add in a few points that I'm guessing she had not earlier.

Both referees are academics who know me in a non-academic setting. Would their positions as academics matter by the way? 

Also would it matter if my second academic reference was not from my former MA supervisor but just someone I took one course from? (I am a PhD student now and one of the letters will be from my PhD supervisor)

thanks!

Thank you Adelaide9216! I do have another question- I was wondering whether the evaluating committees change every year, or will the same people be looking through my application? Would you have any idea? (not sure why this text is in boldface sorry about this!)

1 hour ago, verika said:

Thank you Adelaide9216! I do have another question- I was wondering whether the evaluating committees change every year, or will the same people be looking through my application? Would you have any idea? (not sure why this text is in boldface sorry about this!)

I have taken a look at the names of the evaluating committees before out of curiosity for my field. I have noticed a few names coming again and again every year of the contest, but most of the names are different from year to year. I believe they don't announce who are on the committees before the competition is entirely over. 

http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/selection_committee_members_2018-2019.html

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, emma432 said:

Hello-  the Vanier announcement date is approaching and I was wondering- do people receive an email even if they do not receive the award? Or should I only expect an email if I received the award?

My understanding is that everyone receives an email inviting them to look at the results in the portail, regardless of if you've been successful or not. At least, that's how it was last year if I recall correctly.