Declining a program before they've accepted you?

TheHessianHistorian

I applied for a large handful of graduate programs this cycle (mostly Master's programs)--15 to be precise. My last choice school (15 out of 15) keeps losing parts of my application and asking me to re-send them over and over. Now they say they never received my GRE scores from ETS, even though I've provided documentation showing the date when ETS sent the scores to the department. The school is asking me to pay to re-send the GRE scores to them a second time.

At this point, since I already have several offers from much better programs, and not wanting to pay $29 to re-send my GRE scores a second time to a program I no longer have any intention of attending, is it okay for me to email them and withdraw my application before they've notified me of a decision? I would hate for them to waste any more time on reviewing my application if I'm definitely not going to be attending their Master's program. What is the nicest and most professional way to communicate this to them?

3 minutes ago, infovore said:

Just out of curiosity, how much did you tweak your personal statements for each program? Were they all basically the same with a few sentences different?

Mine were all basically the same, yes. I led in with the same personal story, I used the same paragraph to describe my personal background, and the same paragraph to describe my research interests, and the same conclusion paragraph. However, I completely wrote from scratch the two paragraphs in each SOP in which I talked about my fit with the school and who my preferred faculty in that program were.

50 minutes ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

Mine were all basically the same, yes. I led in with the same personal story, I used the same paragraph to describe my personal background, and the same paragraph to describe my research interests, and the same conclusion paragraph. However, I completely wrote from scratch the two paragraphs in each SOP in which I talked about my fit with the school and who my preferred faculty in that program were.

Lol.  I essentially did the same with my SOP, except that I led off with a quote.  

I was wondering if anyone has withdrawn their applications via the applyweb system? (Princeton, UPenn, Michigan and a few other schools use this system I think) I am having trouble locating the "withdraw" button... I just wanna quietly withdraw without having to contact anyone. 

Thanks in advance!

52 minutes ago, AnUglyBoringNerd said:

I was wondering if anyone has withdrawn their applications via the applyweb system? (Princeton, UPenn, Michigan and a few other schools use this system I think) I am having trouble locating the "withdraw" button... I just wanna quietly withdraw without having to contact anyone. 

Thanks in advance!

It's truly no big deal.  Just call up the Grad Program coordinator to withdraw your application, and if you developed some sort of relationship with a POI, let him/her know that you are sorry for having to withdraw but you have offers on hand that you are excited about and you'd like to make room for other applicants.  Trust me, they'll be happy to have one less application to deal with although if they were going to accept you, they'll be a bit disappointed.  I've done it and it worked out for the best at the end.

Yes, withdraw your application. No need to say why, or at least no need to give the real reason (you can mention you have received offers but no need to say that they took so long because they are messy). :) Congrats by the way.

And the school sends me a formal rejection email the day after I withdraw my application! LOL

"The Graduate Studies Admissions Committee completed its review of your application today. I regret to inform you that yours was not accepted for admission."

I'm dying here. It's the old, "You can't quit! You're fired!" :lol:

Edited by TheHessianHistorian

On 2/19/2018 at 6:33 PM, AnUglyBoringNerd said:

Thanks in advance!

I can't seem to find anything on applyweb where one could withdraw an application. It seems like some schools on applyweb require an email/something in writing that says you are withdrawing:
https://gradadmissions.stanford.edu/admitted-students/financing-graduate-study/sources-financial-support/receipt-aid-stanford
http://www.rackham.umich.edu/admissions/respond-to-the-offer