Declining Offers 2018

Theodore8

12 minutes ago, BL16 said:

Just declined offers from UConn and the University of Texas at Austin.

Neat, that should (hopefully) help me out since I applied to both and haven't heard from either one yet. Where do you plan on accepting, if I may ask?

5 minutes ago, Halcyon23 said:

Neat, that should (hopefully) help me out since I applied to both and haven't heard from either one yet. Where do you plan on accepting, if I may ask?

You might want to take a look at the first page of this thread :)

On 2/26/2018 at 1:37 PM, be. said:

Over the past week, I've declined offers from Virginia, Ohio State, Wisconsin-Madison, and Simon Fraser. Hope that helped some folks out.

You have so many great offers! Where do you think you will end up going? Also when did you hear from UBC?

21 minutes ago, Dysexlia said:

You have so many great offers! Where do you think you will end up going? Also when did you hear from UBC?

Right now, I’m leaning towards Yale or Harvard. Michigan and Toronto are, however, still in the running. I’m also (still!) waiting on NYU. They emailed me today, and asked for an official copy of my transcript, so that seems to bode well.

I plan on declining the rest of my offers tonight or tomorrow.

In regard to UBC, I heard from them very early — maybe the third week of January? I was notified early because I was nominated for a fellowship for international students.

5 minutes ago, be. said:

Right now, I’m leaning towards Yale or Harvard. Michigan and Toronto are, however, still in the running. I’m also (still!) waiting on NYU. They emailed me today, and asked for an official copy of my transcript, so that seems to bode well.

I plan on declining the rest of my offers tonight or tomorrow.

In regard to UBC, I heard from them very early — maybe the third week of January? I was notified early because I was nominated for a fellowship for international students.

That's amazing. What's your AOI? If you've answered this somewhere else, then I apologize for asking again. I am just legitimately curious since you seem to have gotten in basically across the board.

7 minutes ago, be. said:

That does bode well - I am surprised they would ask that without notifying you that you were accepted! Normally that kind of thing isn't necessary unless you've been admitted. Or do you think maybe there was an issue with your unofficial transcript? 

7 minutes ago, Dysexlia said:

That's amazing. What's your AOI? If you've answered this somewhere else, then I apologize for asking again. I am just legitimately curious since you seem to have gotten in basically across the board.

My AOI is early modern. I also want to work on contemporary philosophy of perception.

18 minutes ago, shifgrethor said:

That does bode well - I am surprised they would ask that without notifying you that you were accepted! Normally that kind of thing isn't necessary unless you've been admitted. Or do you think maybe there was an issue with your unofficial transcript? 

I’m a bit confused by the request myself. The version of my transcript that I sent initially is virtually identical to the “official” version, but stamped with “unofficial.” Moreover, the version I sent them today was official, but not anymore, as it’s unsealed. So strictly speaking, they still don’t have an official copy of my transcript.

Edited by be.

7 minutes ago, be. said:

I’m a bit confused by the request myself. The version of my transcript that I sent initially is virtually identical to the “official” version, but stamped with “unofficial.” Moreover, the version I sent them today was official, but not anymore, as it’s been unsealed. So strictly speaking, they still don’t have an official copy of my transcript.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11 minutes ago, be. said:

My AOI is early modern. I also want to work on contemporary philosophy of perception.

For selfish reasons, go to Harvard. :P

I need to dot a few more i's and cross a few more t's, but I'm pretty sure I'll be turning down University of Iowa, University of Rochester, Boston College, and taking myself off the waitlist at Boston University, University of Washington, Syracuse University.

13 minutes ago, be. said:

I’m a bit confused by the request myself. The version of my transcript that I sent initially is virtually identical to the “official” version, but stamped with “unofficial.” Moreover, the version I sent them today was official, but not anymore, as it’s unsealed. So strictly speaking, they still don’t have an official copy of my transcript.

Anyone else received that sort of email? I imagine most people would have submitted their unofficial transcripts, or at least something not strictly official. 

7 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

For selfish reasons, go to Harvard. :P

I need to dot a few more i's and cross a few more t's, but I'm pretty sure I'll be turning down University of Iowa, University of Rochester, Boston College, and taking myself off the waitlist at Boston University, University of Washington, Syracuse University.

Are you waitlisted at Yale?

21 hours ago, mynameismyname said:

Declined Purdue and OSU. Will be declining or taken off the wait-list at FSU, ND, MN, and SLU over the next few days.

Surprised to hear you might decline the SLU waitlist, with Dan Haybron there (who is in your AOI and has experience getting a gigantic grant).  He's also INCREDIBLY nice.

11 hours ago, Needle In The Hay said:

I think Dan Haybron might be leaving. I should not say more, but anyone wanting to work with him should probably ask what his plans are first.

Ohhh, well that's very interesting.  Thanks for the note!

On 3/4/2018 at 3:05 PM, Rose-Colored Dasein said:

I'm still not sure why they accepted me. My writing sample was not very good, by professional standards (though it did demonstrate original thought). I only have a B.A., and that from a little-known liberal-arts university. I do have teaching experience and a decent GRE, as well as favorable letters, but still.

Hey, don't do that. Don't explain away and shove aside your achievements like that. You demonstrated original thought, you have a B.A. You have teaching experience, a decent GRE, and favourable letters. These are good things, to be proud of, and indicate your ability and talent. Own your success. It's yours.