@thesocialspeechie: helpful instagram/YouTube SLP account

Hi all! 

If you want more info on how to get into grad school, what grad school is like once you're in, what to expect, etc. I follow an awesome SLPA/ slp grad students's instagram account (@thesocialspeechie) and YouTube account (the social speechie). She has a lot of really helpful videos with awesome information and is always open to answering any questions! Good luck to everyone who applied this cycle! 

• 11 months later...

She is amazing!Sadly, she dropped out of grad school. I'm not sure if her youtube will still be focused on speechie things. I believe she has begun working on her digital planning/lifestyle blogging full time now. She still has a ton of great info available. 

Edited by KEIM

Yes she dropped out of gradschool but I always refer back to her videos, I wish there were more SLP youtuber/vloggers. She has said that she isn't going to be creating YT videos about SLP anymore and is focusing on her lifestyle/digital planning brand. For her to have dropped out of her program she must be making way more than she would if she continued pursuing SLP.

On 2/2/2019 at 6:58 AM, KendallSLPA said:

She dropped out of grad school. I think she will still be keeping her old grad videos up and the stuff about her speech related things. 

I saw that. SO sad. She had so many helpful tips and materials on TpT! 

21 minutes ago, aelwood14 said:

I saw that. SO sad. She had so many helpful tips and materials on TpT! 

I agree, she was awesome! I actually bought some of her materials on TpT. Can’t believe after all that she dropped out. But whatever makes her happy I guess! 

On 2/3/2019 at 10:52 AM, smarieSLP2b said:

Yes she dropped out of gradschool but I always refer back to her videos, I wish there were more SLP youtuber/vloggers. She has said that she isn't going to be creating YT videos about SLP anymore and is focusing on her lifestyle/digital planning brand. For her to have dropped out of her program she must be making way more than she would if she continued pursuing SLP.

I know! How can I become a social media influencer?  haha. I attempted to start a youtube for speechies but I just don't know what kind of content to make. It's hard.

6 hours ago, KEIM said:

I know! How can I become a social media influencer?  haha. I attempted to start a youtube for speechies but I just don't know what kind of content to make. It's hard.

I was wondering how to do that too! It would be cool to be a social media influencer for the field! I’ve seen some IG and Twitter accounts with not too many followers... I wonder if there’s a demand for it?

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2019 at 1:33 AM, KEIM said:

Most "social media influencers" just start. Start posting about what is interesting to you or your experience/journey with SLP, use hashtags (#slp2b, #slpgradschool, #slpgradstudent, etc) and post relevant/quality content. I started following social speechie originally because after undergrad I was lost on the application process for gradschool and searched youtube/google/instagram and speech related hashtags and she continuously popped up. And if you don't know what kind of content to make just ask yourself what are things that potential speechies would be searching for (GRE info, CSDCAS and how to navigate ASHA EdFind etc.).

On 2/6/2019 at 8:29 AM, BioCook said:

I was wondering how to do that too! It would be cool to be a social media influencer for the field! I’ve seen some IG and Twitter accounts with not too many followers... I wonder if there’s a demand for it?

I think there is a demand for it. If you look up other career related hashtags (#nursingschool, #medschool, #nursingstudent etc.) there are a TON of people on social media posting about their journey/experience and offering tips/advice etc. I personally don't bother following anyone who doesn't post quality images or info that will help me on my personal journey to SLP. I have friends who have speechie instagrams and post therapy ideas or what is going on in their grad programs.

I was thinking of starting an IG account. Maybe I'll give it a go. 

So what kind of info might be helpful apart from (GRE info, CSDCAS and how to navigate ASHA EdFind)?

How often would you like to see a post/story?