When the school tells you to basically accept another school's offer?

abzbabz00

So I emailed a school because I couldn't take the wait anymore and my top choice school responsed with: 

5a96e31e3f3de_ScreenShot2018-02-28at11_12_49AM.png.5a9c3b4812dd6fa91788451061181737.png

Well, shit. Nothing like being rejected from a program by the school telling you to go somewhere else. 

(side note: this is for a masters level program at literally a boring state school. I have a 4.0, experience in the field, good recommendations, great SOP...)

What the heck happened here?

31 minutes ago, haspeer said:

It may not be a rejection...but it could be unfunded.  That could be their thought process, so it isn’t necessarily “no”, I wouldn’t think.

it is just a masters program, none of the ones I applied to are for funding or anything like that. It was just such an odd reply to get that I cannot stop overthinking about. I keep getting hung up on, "..it might be wise to accept it". ugh.....

16 minutes ago, LolJustAdmitMe said:

Yea, I’d take the hint and go elsewhere if you can. But, if you must attend there, simply respond that you’re still interested and willing to wait. 

That is basically how I ended up responding to the email. I had to put the email in a different inbox category because I couldn't stand looking at it anymore. And, since I am looking at my mail 2234829048290483x  day, I do not want keep seeing the message. 

Why is this process so horrible? I had no idea I was going to get this worked up over everything. The sad part is that I really thought this masters program would be a piece of cake getting into, especially with my stats. Sucks.

1 hour ago, abzbabz00 said:

That is basically how I ended up responding to the email. I had to put the email in a different inbox category because I couldn't stand looking at it anymore. And, since I am looking at my mail 2234829048290483x  day, I do not want keep seeing the message. 

Why is this process so horrible? I had no idea I was going to get this worked up over everything. The sad part is that I really thought this masters program would be a piece of cake getting into, especially with my stats. Sucks.

Awwww :/ try not to get discouraged. People have described the game of admissions to practically be a crap shoot, meaning you could apply with the same credentials and get in easily next yr and wonder why the previous year was SUCH a hassle. Also, I’ve noticed this with myself, all the schools I thought would be easy to get into, I spent MUCH less on the application and ended up getting rejected, as well. I even asked one of the “easier” programs to get into why I was rejected and they told me it was JUST my personal statement. Looking back I realized I assumed they would just let me bc of my qualifications and literally forgot to put enough effort into the full application. Of course this may not be your own issue but next time around (if you have to reapply, which happens) broaden your scope of schools and areas you’re willing to study in. It can help with the admissions process (it’s helped for me at least getting onto waiting lists and not flat out rejected).

I’ve said too much. Lol 

59 minutes ago, LolJustAdmitMe said:

Awwww :/ try not to get discouraged. People have described the game of admissions to practically be a crap shoot, meaning you could apply with the same credentials and get in easily next yr and wonder why the previous year was SUCH a hassle. Also, I’ve noticed this with myself, all the schools I thought would be easy to get into, I spent MUCH less on the application and ended up getting rejected, as well. I even asked one of the “easier” programs to get into why I was rejected and they told me it was JUST my personal statement. Looking back I realized I assumed they would just let me bc of my qualifications and literally forgot to put enough effort into the full application. Of course this may not be your own issue but next time around (if you have to reapply, which happens) broaden your scope of schools and areas you’re willing to study in. It can help with the admissions process (it’s helped for me at least getting onto waiting lists and not flat out rejected).

I’ve said too much. Lol 

No thank you for saying that! I really appreciate it. :) 

1 hour ago, LolJustAdmitMe said:

I’ve said too much. Lol 

This is all true and don't lose hope! Last year, I applied to 8 PhD programs and didn't hear a word from anyone. Half of them didn't even answer my inquiry emails before applications were due. I applied to 10 schools this year and had in-person or Skype interviews with 7 schools (1 I also applied to last year and heard nothing). You never know what's going on behind the scenes (e.g., you may be competing with someone the POI already works with/has connections to, lack of funding, etc.). 

This is so.... harsh. Like YIKES that person must have been having a bad day. Honestly I would take that as a sign that the program might not be a good fit for you like you thought it was. I sure wouldn’t want to go to a school that responds like that :/ it hurt my feelings and it wasn’t even an email for me. I’m so sorry!!