So...how are you going to choose?

I'm a pretty indecisive person, and I'm curious how everyone else is approaching their decisions on what to accept or decline. What questions are you asking? What factors are most important to you? How are you getting your information (talking to current students, website, admitted students day, etc)? Obviously funding is extremely important, but I know that not everyone always goes with the cheapest option. How are you gauging whether higher costs are worth it? I know that debt vs payoff is always important in all fields, but I think it is especially important in public policy, which no one gets into thinking they're going to make big money. 

Here are some questions that I've been asking:

• How many students go on to be PMFs?
  • How well do students know their professors? 
  • Are research opportunities accessible to grad students?
  • What sectors are students employed in after graduating?
  • How easy is it to take interesting electives in other departments?
  • What do most students spend time on outside of the classroom? Is heavy extracurricular involvement common? Do most work part time?
  • What are the alumni or career center services like? (Are there more specific questions I can ask about this?)
  • How many years of professional experience are most students coming in with?

What questions, facts, etc have helped you get a good sense of what a particular grad school is actually like? I'd love to hear from people currently in these programs or recently graduated about what you wish you would have asked before enrolling. I don't think these are particularly nuanced so it would be great to hear what questions you have asked that led to enlightening answers.

I share a lot of the same emphasis points (as do most of us, I'm sure). The hardest thing I think I'll have a hard time with is how to weigh the extra cost of a preferred program versus its perceived marginal benefit. 

Edited by Tk2356

I made a spreadsheet with different aspects and that’s definitely helping me to keep everything organized and in line, especially when I’m comparing multiple programs. I’ve especially focused on curriculum (seeing what’s least Econ heavy in my case), the diversity of the program/city over the past years, and if programs have faculty that have done extensive work in the regional field I’m interested in. Google sheets = life! 

As an international student, the DC careers aren't really my calling. I am putting more emphasis on the curriculum's scalability and extrapolation to the skills I need to work in my country, or in the development sector in general. I am probably going to pass up on the costlier programs in the big cities of the US and choose instead a program that gives me more freedom to explore my options at a (much) lesser cost.

I also want to study at a college with a significant international student population. The cost of the program is definitely essential, as $100k in debt in my currency is literally going to drive me insane after graduation.

My decision has not been made since other decisions have not come in (LOL). I'm basically assuming I'm going to Harris at this point because SIPA didn't give me anything and they're $40k more expensive. WWS is pretty much everyone's lifeboat at this point for aid (sad but true). Barring that, I may have to look into jobs.

I guess my logic is that if I get a job people usually get Masters'/is extremely prestigious entry-level, I'll defer or not go. But that's far down the road and unlikely.

Edited by lackey
math

I'm trying to decide between two very different programs -  Sanford's MPP and CMU's MSPPM data analytics track.  I work as a data analyst right now and I definitely enjoy being able to perform my own analytical legwork, but I've always been more interested in theory and tended to perform better in those classes. CMU's program seems really oriented toward practical data skills that I think would really help with job placement after graduating, but seems pretty light on theory. Duke's program seems more balanced between theory and quantitative skills, but I'm nervous about turning down the marketability of the skills I would gain through focused data analytics coursework. Ultimately after graduating I'd like to work on policy research that incorporates solid theory and strong quantitative analysis. 

Their scholarship options were comparable so cost isn't a big factor, and unfortunately both have admitted student days on the same day. I've heard awesome things about both cities, and overall think I would be happy at either program... which is great but also makes the decision tougher!

8 hours ago, thismustbetheplace said:

I'm trying to decide between two very different programs -  Sanford's MPP and CMU's MSPPM data analytics track.  I work as a data analyst right now and I definitely enjoy being able to perform my own analytical legwork, but I've always been more interested in theory and tended to perform better in those classes. CMU's program seems really oriented toward practical data skills that I think would really help with job placement after graduating, but seems pretty light on theory. Duke's program seems more balanced between theory and quantitative skills, but I'm nervous about turning down the marketability of the skills I would gain through focused data analytics coursework. Ultimately after graduating I'd like to work on policy research that incorporates solid theory and strong quantitative analysis. 

Their scholarship options were comparable so cost isn't a big factor, and unfortunately both have admitted student days on the same day. I've heard awesome things about both cities, and overall think I would be happy at either program... which is great but also makes the decision tougher!

There’s definitely no one answer. I also have similar offers for Duke and the CMU data analytics track, but CMU is my preference because I want to continue working as a data analyst and now am kind of wondering why I even applied to more generalist MPP programs.

I’m actually deciding between CMU and the MS-CAPP at Harris. I got significantly more funding from CMU, so that’s looking more likely, but I’m still attending admitted students day to reassure myself that it will be as rigorous. I really loved UChicago and the CAPP program when I visited. I’d appreciate hearing from others looking at those two programs in particular!

4 hours ago, elizabethrs said:

I’m actually deciding between CMU and the MS-CAPP at Harris. I got significantly more funding from CMU, so that’s looking more likely, but I’m still attending admitted students day to reassure myself that it will be as rigorous. I really loved UChicago and the CAPP program when I visited. I’d appreciate hearing from others looking at those two programs in particular!

I'm also trying to decide between CMU's DA track and the CAPP program and am leaning towards CMU at the moment (although I won't have the opportunity to visit either which makes the decision rather difficult). I have spoken to students in both programs who confirm that both are extremely rigorous and I don't doubt I would be happy at either. I've come to preference CMU due to their scholarship offer (roughly 4X what Chicago offered) and the fact that CMU has some focus on the management side of things (which I would like) that I think Chicago doesn't. I've been pretty meticulously looking at the course requirements and electives at both schools (I found this with syllabi for all of the courses at CMU but haven't found an equivalent page for Chicago so it's taking me a little longer to find detailed course info). It feels like CAPP has more emphasis on computer science skills as part of the core curriculum while the DA track does not (which is a negative for me), although clearly Heinz offers classes focusing on CS skills for policy, they just have to be taken as electives.

The other big question I have (for Heinz, or for anyone here who knows) is how big the DA track is at Heinz. I know the CAPP program is expected to be in the low 40s this year, but I haven't seen anything or spoken to Heinz about it, but I would certainly consider it a negative if the DA track had 80 people. So yeah, I am kind of in the same boat as you (more funding from CMU, picking between two quant-heavy programs), but I'm leaning towards not taking on huge debts especially when I think I would be happy at either school. 

My choice was made relatively easy based on the fact that I was waitlisted by half the schools I applied to. I decided on Heinz over American because AU still hasn't released financial aid information. I also want a program that is more being focused on letting me be a student and allowing me to do research and take a full class load. AU's program is so professional friendly that classes start after 5 p.m., which isn't a bad thing, but it is not what I'm looking for. Heinz is also very good about reaching out to me with concerns I didn't realize I had and engaging me with professors and heads of research institutes I'm interested in. After being admitted, the head of the concentration I am most invested in quickly reached out to me to discuss the program and coursework. That's a level of dedication that I appreciate, and made the choice even more simple. 

Also, @yoh_rrg , isn't DA typically a small cohort size within the ~110 MSPPM students? I'm sure you can email David for more specifics, or even call the admissions office!

I trawled this board (and elsewhere) ad nauseam before finally applying.  In the end, I made my decision based upon two criteria: I wanted to start in the spring, and I wanted to do general international affairs (as opposed to security studies).  That narrowed the field fairly dramatically.  Moreover, while I would have preferred a non-urban, more residential full time experience, I felt at the time that being in DC for career development was the 'responsible' choice, so I did that too.  As much extra money as I've blown just living here, I'm not sure that was really so responsible after all, but ymmv.

10 hours ago, yoh_rrg said:

I'm also trying to decide between CMU's DA track and the CAPP program and am leaning towards CMU at the moment (although I won't have the opportunity to visit either which makes the decision rather difficult). I have spoken to students in both programs who confirm that both are extremely rigorous and I don't doubt I would be happy at either. I've come to preference CMU due to their scholarship offer (roughly 4X what Chicago offered) and the fact that CMU has some focus on the management side of things (which I would like) that I think Chicago doesn't. I've been pretty meticulously looking at the course requirements and electives at both schools (I found this with syllabi for all of the courses at CMU but haven't found an equivalent page for Chicago so it's taking me a little longer to find detailed course info). It feels like CAPP has more emphasis on computer science skills as part of the core curriculum while the DA track does not (which is a negative for me), although clearly Heinz offers classes focusing on CS skills for policy, they just have to be taken as electives.

The other big question I have (for Heinz, or for anyone here who knows) is how big the DA track is at Heinz. I know the CAPP program is expected to be in the low 40s this year, but I haven't seen anything or spoken to Heinz about it, but I would certainly consider it a negative if the DA track had 80 people. So yeah, I am kind of in the same boat as you (more funding from CMU, picking between two quant-heavy programs), but I'm leaning towards not taking on huge debts especially when I think I would be happy at either school. 

Thanks for sharing (and for the link to the course list)! I am also curious about the size of the DA track, and from what I remember (maybe on a webinar?), it has been pretty small, like 15-20 people, in the past. I can definitely ask at the admitted students weekend, but of course that's not for a few weeks. I was going to email a student there anyway, so I'll add that question. 

I also share your impression of CAPP including more computer science in the core courses vs as electives. My sense is that I could create my own program at CMU that would be more similar to CAPP, but it's not planned in the same way. I really appreciated that CAPP has a program director who is very responsive and engaged with students, and they have regular CAPP lunches and other events that really makes it feel like a community. I'm hoping to get the same impression from CMU!

18 hours ago, yoh_rrg said:

I found this link to the student handbook for last year which lays out the CMU MSPPM data analytics requirements by semester, I found it helpful to use alongside the syllabi link that you provided. 

You mentioned that both are extremely rigorous, did you get a sense of how much time to devote to research outside of classes? If I choose CMU over Duke, it will ultimately be for the research opportunities, but I'm concerned I'll be too bogged down with classwork to take advantage of them while still having some kind of social life. 

9 hours ago, elizabethrs said:

Thanks for sharing (and for the link to the course list)! I am also curious about the size of the DA track, and from what I remember (maybe on a webinar?), it has been pretty small, like 15-20 people, in the past.

I've watched the same webinars and heard 20 as well. I get the sense that it may be growing by a bit, but certainly nowhere close to 80.

Funding has effectively eliminate NYU Wagner from my options. I was admitted into McCourt's inaugural MS-DSPP program, and even if they offered me more than the $12k/year award I probably wouldn't go.

I'm 95% sure that Heinz MSPPM-DA is the program for me, and felt that way when I was applying. Great program, experiential learning, 80% funding. I've also gotten into UMN Humphrey with a scholarship, but it's a MPP program and I think I want a more quantitative program. I was waitlisted at Harris CAPP, and have given them a decision deadline. Harris is probably the only school that could tempt me away from Heinz, but from what I hear Heinz is more generous with their aid. 

Honestly, I'm trying to keep my mind open until I go to the admitted student days for UMN and CMU. We'll see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2018 at 2:19 PM, thismustbetheplace said:

This was me last year! I was about 90% sure I was going to do the CMU DA track, then visited both programs the same weekend - Sanford Friday, CMU Saturday (the logistics were not simple but I made it work). I got a really good vibe from Sanford and a less good vibe from CMU in terms of personal fit. That sent me back to 50/50 and I ultimately went with Sanford and what I felt would be the better experience for me, rather than the more impressive toolkit. It was definitely a trade off though, and I think both options would have been great in different ways. The main thing that stood out to me at Sanford was the close-knit feel - small class size, but maybe more importantly you really get to know the faculty, staff, career counselors, administration, IT folks, etc... it really feels like a family of people who care about you and will be there to help you succeed in grad school and for the rest of your life, and a lot of that came through when I visited. I also realized I wasn't even sure I wanted to do the kind of super quant-heavy work the DA track would set me up for, and so I wanted a curriculum that would give me some flexibility to explore.

A year later, I'm happy with my choice, especially on those 70 degree days in February! I'd recommend trying to make it to both admitted students days if at all possible, or if you don't come to Duke then, finding another time to visit Sanford - admissions is great about setting you up with classes to attend and students to meet with. And feel free to message me if you want to chat further!