Note taking during class

I was wondering what you guys are planning on doing for note taking during class. For undergrad I hand wrote all of my notes, but I don't think that would be useful during grad school. All of my classes are 3 hours long. I was considering typing them on my laptop either in a google doc, or if the professor uses a powerpoint to lecture I was going to type notes from the lecture into the note section on the powerpoint. Since I will be walking to class (around a mile each way) I am worried about how the weather (rain) might damage my laptop. Also my laptop can be somewhat unpredictable with it's battery life, and since I'm not in a place where I can afford to buy a new one I was just curious to see what others are doing

Hi! I am a second year graduate student and just wanted to chime in what I did.  I found it helpful to have a laptop to type my notes because there is just so much to learn and write! That way as well you can save all your notes in folders on your desktop and access them easier at a later time (example, when studying for the Praxis)! You can also create google drives that way too so you always have notes without a bunch of papers laying around!

Some of our teachers did provide us an outline of our notes we could print out so we could hand write. Some people in my cohort did this, some typed, some tried both. I learned to just keep my charger in my backpack and find an outlet in the classroom, haha! I will say it is possible to hand write, but you may find you'll miss info because professors talk pretty quick. They have a lot of knowledge and want to provide as much as possible!  I would try and make binders of notes if you hand write, that way is it organized. There were also a few in our cohort that used iPads with keyboards or the pen that lets you write on them! Hope this helps!! ^_^

Edited by koalalover1

I'm planning on writing notes by hand because I can write faster than I type. I make lots of typos when I type that I have to correct  immediately because I'm obsessive with spelling and grammar, so I feel like I'd be more distracted. I like the idea of dating each page and writing the topics down the side for easy reference. At the end of the semester I'll scan the notes into my computer.

Another reason I plan on handwriting is that I read (possibly on a grad cafe thread) that something about the physical act of handwriting helps people remember the information better than typing.

That being said, I do really like the idea of typing notes on the powerpoints.

I've always typed notes, even in UG, but that's just because I type much faster than I write. Some of my profs go so fast (especially in masters) that I almost can't keep up typing! I rewrite a lot of my notes to study (and flashcards) which helps with memory, for me. 

Edit: I also type notes into my powerpoint. I also always carry my laptop's powercord around, because don't like being caught with low battery. 

Edited by TwirlingBlades

I've never thought about the rain in that way! I grew up in Portland and did my undergrad in Oregon and have always spent tons of time walking around in the rain with a back pack and never have trouble with it soaking through. But I guess it's because i've always invested in good, waterproof, backpacks. I've had the same timbuk2 backpack for five years and countless hours in the rain, so i'd recommend that! It'll set you back 80+ dollars but I guess you'll have some computer peace of mind!

I have a Surface and use OneNote. If you have the means to get one, I highly recommend it! I upload PDFs of the PowerPoints and am able to physically write notes using the Surface pen, but I can switch to typing if information is coming at me too quickly - best of both worlds, plus no printing ahead of time! Used to type all my notes until I found that they were ineffective for certain classes, so it can depend on both you and the class

2 hours ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

My main concern is if it’s raining and I have to walk to or from class, I don’t want to risk the rain soaking through my backpack to my laptop. I have a case I keep it in inside my backpack but I would be distraught if it got damaged 

Personally I use a laptop, and I switch between a jansport backpack with my laptop in a cushy case (that isn't water proof, but is thick) and a leather shoulder bag. I've been in Portland, OR for 2 years and I've never had an issue with water getting into my laptop.

However, I have had many professors discuss research about how typing notes isn't considered as effective as writing by hand, and many use this in discussion of policies about computer use in class. No one has refused to have a computer in class, but a few have mentioned that they'd consider it. Maybe check with your program to see if there is an opinion like that on your campus?

12 hours ago, bibliophile222 said:

I'm planning on writing notes by hand because I can write faster than I type. I make lots of typos when I type that I have to correct  immediately because I'm obsessive with spelling and grammar, so I feel like I'd be more distracted. I like the idea of dating each page and writing the topics down the side for easy reference. At the end of the semester I'll scan the notes into my computer.

Another reason I plan on handwriting is that I read (possibly on a grad cafe thread) that something about the physical act of handwriting helps people remember the information better than typing.

That being said, I do really like the idea of typing notes on the powerpoints.

This is exactly how I feel too! I cannot deal with the red lines that pop up from typing mistakes so it drives me crazy to type notes because then I get behind correcting the errors. I have always felt like hand writing notes has helped me pay more attention and focus in class. If I'm on my computer I'm so tempted to check Pinterest/Facebook whatever and get distracted way too easily. I'll probably put each class into a small binder, and then to study for exams I'll type my notes into a google doc to create a study guide and that way they're on my computer too in case anything would happen to my binders. 

12 hours ago, PNWSpeech said:

I've never thought about the rain in that way! I grew up in Portland and did my undergrad in Oregon and have always spent tons of time walking around in the rain with a back pack and never have trouble with it soaking through. But I guess it's because i've always invested in good, waterproof, backpacks. I've had the same timbuk2 backpack for five years and countless hours in the rain, so i'd recommend that! It'll set you back 80+ dollars but I guess you'll have some computer peace of mind!

Hi,

Thank you for sharing which backpack you use! I will be moving to Portland for school and had not thought about the rain. I will have to look into timbuk2 backpacks! 

12 hours ago, pbandj said:

I have a Surface and use OneNote. If you have the means to get one, I highly recommend it! I upload PDFs of the PowerPoints and am able to physically write notes using the Surface pen, but I can switch to typing if information is coming at me too quickly - best of both worlds, plus no printing ahead of time! Used to type all my notes until I found that they were ineffective for certain classes, so it can depend on both you and the class

I like the idea of this hybrid because it may help if you have to draw diagrams or tables or something like that. 

On 4/18/2018 at 10:45 AM, Felice said:

I like the idea of this hybrid because it may help if you have to draw diagrams or tables or something like that. 

Yupp, that's exactly what I do! I'm pretty visual so organizing my notes and making diagrams are more helpful to me than bullet point notes.

On 4/17/2018 at 9:18 PM, soontobeslp2018 said:

My main concern is if it’s raining and I have to walk to or from class, I don’t want to risk the rain soaking through my backpack to my laptop. I have a case I keep it in inside my backpack but I would be distraught if it got damaged 

If you get a waxed canvas backpack, this will not happen <3