Contacting advisor the summer before PhD starts

Torple

Hey everyone!

I will be attending a PhD program in Fall 2018. I emailed my professor at the start of the summer asking if there was anything he would like me to read/do before the semester starts. He said his summer will be spent working on manuscripts and basically told me to chill because of how busy I’ll be once the semester starts. 

I, however, have no chill. 

I’ve been granted a dull office job this summer, so I have nothing to do but think about my research and potential topics. (I love it because it’s the type of mindless work where I get to listen to podcasts and... well... think about what’s coming for me in the Fall!)

Would it be inappropriate to email my professor with these potential ideas? Should I just save them for next semester? 

29 minutes ago, Torple said:

Hey everyone!

I will be attending a PhD program in Fall 2018. I emailed my professor at the start of the summer asking if there was anything he would like me to read/do before the semester starts. He said his summer will be spent working on manuscripts and basically told me to chill because of how busy I’ll be once the semester starts. 

I, however, have no chill. 

I’ve been granted a dull office job this summer, so I have nothing to do but think about my research and potential topics. (I love it because it’s the type of mindless work where I get to listen to podcasts and... well... think about what’s coming for me in the Fall!)

Would it be inappropriate to email my professor with these potential ideas? Should I just save them for next semester? 

I basically did the same thing, and reached out to my advisor to ask if there is anything I should do, and she said no and basically said we'd set up a meeting later in the summer to talk about sort of what to expect before I get there and start grad school. I got the gist from her email that she basically didn't need to or want to hear from me until then. I would say that if your advisor hasn't indicated that they have anything to discuss with you this summer, then you should probably just save it all. You'll have 5+ years to talk about your potential ideas, and your PI likely just wants to focus on these manuscripts until then. Also, for your own mental health, do something fun and not grad-school related ?

Hello! I haven’t sent an email yet to my new advisor but I really want to asking the same thing.... what did you all put in the email? I’m worried I’m sounding “over-zealous” 

This really depends on the advisor. Mine took initiative to email me in late April to already start a project over summer so we can start data collection in fall. I'm happy with it, but I could use a little bit of 'chill time' too haha. 

If any - I think a proactive approach is always appreciated. That being said, you may receive a 'no - not needed'. And that's cool too. People have their own plans and they may simply not have the time YET. But no harm in inquiring. 

It's definitely good to reach out to your advisor to show them you're proactive. However, it sounds like you already did that and they said to relax (which is probably the nice way of saying they want to have some down time as well). If you still want to be productive, take the summer to refine those research ideas you already have. Starting the fall with 2 or 3 really well thought-out research ideas to show the PI out of the gate will show them the "go getter" attitude you clearly have. Emailing them again runs you the risk of them getting annoyed by you. Chances are, if they wanted you to start helping out, they'd tell you. I'm in a similar situation with Psygeek, where my PI emailed me for a data collection opportunity. 

I work with my prospective students over the summer if they are willing. When I started my PhD program, my advisor sent me a long summer reading list.

If you really want to do something, read all your advisor's papers you can and then start mining the citations and read the articles in the reference lists that interest you. This can't hurt anything and will certainly give you a running start.

You guys are all amazing. I guess I’ll refine my research ideas and start gathering some background information for them so I can really start off strong. 

Thanks everyone!

19 hours ago, Eanertodt said:

Hello! I haven’t sent an email yet to my new advisor but I really want to asking the same thing.... what did you all put in the email? I’m worried I’m sounding “over-zealous” 

My email was really brief. A simple greeting followed by how you’re excited to begin in the Fall. Then you can ask “is there anything you would like me to do to prepare?” That should show that you’re ready and willing to do something but you’re not pushing. 

I'd definitely recommend chilling. This may be the last "vacation" you get for a long time until the Ph.D. ends. 

That being said, read about things that you are interested in learning more about. You can also prepare ideas for potential F applications to the NIH or other funding agencies (if applicable). 

Please spend your time chilling. I started my program during the summer (about 15 hours a week) and to be honest while it was great integrating then rather than at the beginning of the semester (I took 7 classes the fall) I still felt haggard. Now that its summer again I want to go off the grid so that no one can find me/my internet wont work for a while XD. Maybe do some light reading but don't go full steam as this truly may be your last true vacation for a while.

As others stated, I feel it depends on your dynamic and personalities. I've already Skyped with my advisor numerous times to discuss research ideas, he has given me readings, and wants me to submit to a conference in August. I have a dull office job, and have a routine that allots me the convenience of being able to work on things. He will be a new faculty member and is chomping at the bit to get his name out there. 

Some advisors are really adamant about constant performance, whereas others are more relaxed (sometimes too relaxed). Regardless, your advisor chose you for a reason, you are not working "for" them but working "with" them. I was really motivated to reach out because I've been in the work-world and am afraid that I'll fall behind the others. I'm also terrible at time-management. He is a newer faculty that is highly motivated to publish, but he also understands if I have too much on my plate (I think hahah). That is our dynamic.

I doubt your advisor will get upset that you are opening the lines of communication. "Torple was too conscientious and reached out to me in May, what kind of graduate student tries to get a head-start?!" You don't want to regret staying silent, especially if you feel you're the type of person that wants to start early and you have the means to do so. If they say, "hold your horses" hold them. In hindsight, the 500 pages you have to read in the first two weeks, stained with tears and wine, will be a lot easier to cope with- because at least you asked.